Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

This loss is on coaching.  On a positive note, Jesse Edwards was nearly brilliant last night.  I also think Benny Williams is showing significant improvement.  Our ball handling has been atrocious the past few games.  JGIII and Buddy have been losing the dribble way too much

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just a brutal loss to Miami. Sloppy second half.

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Kadari drops 27 tonight.  A ton of dribble drive finishes.  He was amazing.  *****! 🤬

we could really use him and his handle this year. Oh well. 

i will say that as many losses as this Cuse team has, they are actually on the edge of being good. They just can’t put together a complete game. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

When Cuse came to ACC, I knew they would have trouble keeping up with recruiting. 

You can't just rely on so many "local" kids in this area.  The talent difference between the basketball in NY and other parts of the country is huge.

Look at this Cuse team: Boeheim bros, Girard, Torrence all local

On 1/23/2022 at 10:00 AM, Back2Buff said:

When Cuse came to ACC, I knew they would have trouble keeping up with recruiting. 

You can't just rely on so many "local" kids in this area.  The talent difference between the basketball in NY and other parts of the country is huge.

Look at this Cuse team: Boeheim bros, Girard, Torrence all local

Part of the problem is they don’t even get the good locals. JJ Starling is a McDonald’s All American and we’ve known for years now that we were nowhere near his top choice. There’s plenty of talent in what used to be our pipeline. We just don’t land them anymore and the coaching isn’t good either. 

49 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Didn’t Jim say they were petitioning the NCAA for an extra year for Jimmy?  I could see Copeland starting at PG for sure.

i like Girard, but the ball handling is an absolute joke. He really need to play off the ball. The number of horrible turnovers he has just bringing the ball up is really alarming. Hopefully Copeland has good handle. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i like Girard, but the ball handling is an absolute joke. He really need to play off the ball. The number of horrible turnovers he has just bringing the ball up is really alarming. Hopefully Copeland has good handle. 

I hear his handle, in terms of being able to “bring it up” against ACC pressure, is an emerging skill.  As you can see I this picture though, Q is BIG and can take the ball to the rack.  He’s a good distributor too.  I think we hit the jackpot, tbh 🤞

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Well, when it rains, it pours. Really great game by Cuse on both ends. When your walk-ons are draining 3’s, you know it is your night. 

I don’t get this team 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everything went right last night.  Edwards was awesome as usual, and Buddy did his thing, but where did Swider come from?  One of the most maddeningly inconsistent players I can remember.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t get this team 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everything went right last night.  Edwards was awesome as usual, and Buddy did his thing, but where did Swider come from?  One of the most maddeningly inconsistent players I can remember.  

it’s insane. Not to mention the defensive effort— that was the first time that the zone looked good. 

If I had a complaint, it would be not going back to Benny and Symir in the second half. I get that JB didn’t want to mess up what was going on out on the floor, but Jimmy and Girard were meh. And both Benny and Symir looked solid in the first half. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU starting to find their stride 

JGIII to Edwards is a lethal combination

what I love about edwards is that he always keeps the ball high— never brings it down to where it will get stripped. he also really had a great game passing the ball. All the shooters will get wide open shots the more we can feed him the ball in the middle.

great game by JG3 too.

i get that Louisville was missing their best player, but both the O and D were playing really well today. 

i don’t know if they have an chance to make it even onto the bubble at this point, but if they keep trending up, they would be a tough out as a high seed in the tourney. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

*****! 

He was the most improved player on the squad and probably the most important

Devastating news....wasn't this how we lost Onauku(sp) all those years ago?

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I honestly forgot what arinze hurt... 

Because we were the best team in the country and that was a nail in the coffin.. so I try to forget

I thought it was his knee, but it was his quad tendon.  Wasn’t it Blake Griffin who ran through us in the tourney that year?  Arinze would have had something for him.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought it was his knee, but it was his quad tendon.  Wasn’t it Blake Griffin who ran through us in the tourney that year?  Arinze would have had something for him.

We lost to butler that year, Gordon Hayward and Brad stevens I believe 

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Hate to always be griping about the refs, but 21 FT’s to 4? In these games where the opposing team plays super aggressive hand-checking man defense And the refs let them get away with it, we lose.

Refs have had it out for all the old big east squads against the acc

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could have seen how Hop would have played out as HC, but I think Red will be a VERY good coach going forward.  I am going to be sad to see the end of the Boeheim era, but I want to see him get his 1000* wins(again).  He has earned the right to go out on his own terms and i am glad he didn't step on K's final tour.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:15 AM, The Poojer said:

I wish we could have seen how Hop would have played out as HC, but I think Red will be a VERY good coach going forward.  I am going to be sad to see the end of the Boeheim era, but I want to see him get his 1000* wins(again).  He has earned the right to go out on his own terms and i am glad he didn't step on K's final tour.

I was just saying to my son last night that I was rooting for Duke to win it all.  He told me he couldn’t believe those words were coming out of my mouth.