2018 MLB Playoffs

Mark Vader

The MLB playoffs start today. Although I guess you could say they started yesterday with the NL Central & NL West Division deciding games.

So is a Red Sox-Brewers World Series inevitable or will we have two other teams playing for it all?

Got any predictions or anyone you're cheering for?

Play Ball!

it's all a spin of the wheel in this setup of the playoffs

no team is a killer that should cakewalk to a WS like the 98 Yankees/ 89 A's / 84 Tigers

anyone but Boston will be fine with me

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'd love to see Red Sox vs. Dodgers.

Sox are NOT a shoo-in to get past the Yankees (assuming they beat the A's), let alone the Astros.

the last super-regular season bust was the 2001 Mariners, i would enjoy the Red Sox getting that banner to put up for 2018

I think the Red Sox (and I despise them as much as the Yankees) are the closest team in the playoffs to be considered a "shoo-in/favorite" for the WS this year, but in baseball nothings ever guaranteed.

Maybe i dont follow the NL enough, but that side looks much weaker then the teams in the AL right now. If I had to rank the teams for WS favorites, i would have to go Sox/Yankees/Indians as the top 3, then Dodgers as the top 4. The rest just seem like good but beatable teams

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the Red Sox (and I despise them as much as the Yankees) are the closest team in the playoffs to be considered a "shoo-in/favorite" for the WS this year, but in baseball nothings ever guaranteed.

Maybe i dont follow the NL enough, but that side looks much weaker then the teams in the AL right now. If I had to rank the teams for WS favorites, i would have to go Sox/Yankees/Indians as the top 3, then Dodgers as the top 4. The rest just seem like good but beatable teams

it's no fun to get out to such an early lead, the second worst is Cleveland in a dog of a division patiently getting through 162 games until it actually start to matter

each NL team has a murderous batting lineup

Red Sox played the Yankees 19 times.  Won 10, lost 9.  Sox were 7-3 at home and 3-6 in Yankee Stadium.  5-game series are weird and makes picking a winner very dicey.  I totally give the Yankees a good chance to knock off the Sox (and I am a Sox fan / Yankee hater). And the Red Sox went 3-4 against both the Indians and the Astros.

15 minutes ago, snafu said:

Red Sox played the Yankees 19 times.  Won 10, lost 9.  Sox were 7-3 at home and 3-6 in Yankee Stadium.  5-game series are weird and makes picking a winner very dicey.  I totally give the Yankees a good chance to knock off the Sox (and I am a Sox fan / Yankee hater). And the Red Sox went 3-4 against both the Indians and the Astros.

a few years ago Toronto faced the Indians in the ALCS, the Tribe lost 2 of their aces in the last days leading up to the series, many in Toronto thought a sweep was in the works

didn't quite work out that way for the Jays...

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The MLB playoffs start today. Although I guess you could say they started yesterday with the NL Central & NL West Division deciding games.

Nope, those count as regular season.  

Go everyone except the Dodgers and Red Sox.  And Cubs.  And Braves.  And Yankees.

So basically I'm ok with a Brewers-A's World Series.  Fortunately I'm from Buffalo so dealing with disappointment is second nature.

God no!  NOT the Red Sux.  Glad the Red Sux of the West,  Cubs lost!

Yankees-Dodgers would be classic!  Yankees-Brewers cool.   Brewers "Murder's Row" of pitching looks great.

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Heartbreak for the Cubs. Congrats to the Rockies as they head to Milwaukee.

They got lucky one time.  Inches from losing it all in with one walk-off swing of bat in 2016 and everybody annoints them "winners." 

When hasn't there been heartbreak.  LMAO!

2016 was an outier. Fluke.  Not even a bad manager got in the way of that one.

Maybe if "Cool Joe" tries to win a game in June instead of pitching position players... They wouldn't be in this boat!

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Aaaaaand goodbye Cubs.   

Again!

I am rooting for the Red Sox to win it all; mostly because they deserve it, but I've also grown to like the team.  I love the way they play ball.

My ideal ALCS would be BOS/CLE.  I will have a difficult time rooting against Terry Francona, as I love the guy.  The Red Sox, and the Boston press, royally !@#$ed Francona over on his way out of Boston, too.  If my heart says "Tito," then I'll follow it.

Regardless, I'll be happy if either team goes to the Series and wins it.

Either MIL or COL are fine with me to make it for the NL.  I hate the Dodgers and I hate the Braves.  

As far as tonight goes (OAK/NYY), I hope the Yankees get their asses handed to them.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am rooting for the Red Sox to win it all; mostly because they deserve it, but I've also grown to like the team.  I love the way they play ball.

My ideal ALCS would be BOS/CLE.  I will have a difficult time rooting against Terry Francona, as I love the guy.  The Red Sox, and the Boston press, royally !@#$ed Francona over on his way out of Boston, too.  If my heart says "Tito," then I'll follow it.

Either MIL or COL are fine with me to make it for the NL.  I hate the Dodgers and I hate the Braves.  

As far as tonight goes (OAK/NYY), I hope the Yankees get their asses handed to them.

You disgust me

No team from "Boston" deserves anything but misery and heartbreak. Go hang out with at Wahlburgers with Brad Marchand and  lick your photos of Brady and BB.......

And nothing would be greater then watching the A's knocking off the Yankees tonight with Liam Hendricks on the mound for them while Severino throws a clunker instead of starting Happ who had been almost lights out since being acquired.

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

You disgust me

No team from "Boston" deserves anything but misery and heartbreak. Go hang out with at Wahlburgers with Brad Marchand and  lick your photos of Brady and BB.......

And nothing would be greater then watching the A's knocking off the Yankees tonight with Liam Hendricks on the mound for them while Severino throws a clunker instead of starting Happ who had been almost lights out since being acquired.

On this, we agree.

And I'd love to have a beer with Marky Mark (but not the Funky Bunch)!

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Welcome aboard!

I agree about Francona, too, and I wouldn't mind Cleveland winning it all. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Anyone think that the Astros can repeat?

Could we have an Astros-Dodgers rematch?

anything is possible, it's just a spin of the roulette wheel with this playoff format, health and luck and suddenly hot pitching is all that matters.

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Red Sox deserve it?  for spending like the Yankees?

i'm bitter because the Jays are richer than both combined and refuse to spend to win......   :(

I say they deserve it because they've been the best team in baseball since April. 

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I say they deserve it because they've been the best team in baseball since April. 

no question there.

injuries have hampered the records of a few teams that were always cakewalking to the playoffs this season, that point has to be made (though it is really worthless) but they seem to be back to full strength

should be one of the better showcases the AL has had in years for great teams, but only if the Yankees win tonight...  :D

-------------------------------------------------------------

can they quantify the effect that tonight's winner has on ratings and national interest for the rest of the playoffs?

probably 90% of the non-fanbase interest is hinging on the Yankees winning

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Red Sox deserve it?  for spending like the Yankees?

i'm bitter because the Jays are richer than both combined and refuse to spend to win......   :(

I wouldn't say they are richer, they are owned by a corporation so Rodgers money cant just be spent freely on them, they can only really spend what they make. It's not like the Steinbrenners who can just reach into their wallets and spend whatever cash they want. And the Jay's do have a huge payroll, thanks in part to Martin (who I do like for his leadership and willingness to do whatever to help like playing almost the entire infield) and Mr collected a full paycheck for 0 games played/I'm a shortstop only Tulo.

But Rodgers does like treating the Jay's like they are a small market team in a big market. That's the entire reason they went after Shapiro to run things, cause he was in charge of the Indians and ran them as a small market franchise. If you noticed with them, they never had alot of success on the field until he left, but they had a nice stadium and game day experience. Kinda what Rodgers wants. Support the team no matter the record like the people of Toronto did for the Leafs, and sell out the stadium buying expensive beer and food while hanging out with your friends.

Hopefully the Mets do us a solid and take them off our hands this offseason to ruin (oops typo, I meant run) their franchise.

The front office is already starting the 'soften you expectations for next season' press releases as it's going to be another 'development/evaluation' year with the younger kids being brought up to fill the roster while they slash payroll and stay out of FA signings that didnt come out of the dumpsters. (I keep hearing 'expect more Jaimie Garcia type signings' this offseason to fill out the roster, and Oh/Axford/Clippard types that can be flipped at the deadline for assetts)

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wouldn't say they are richer, they are owned by a corporation so Rodgers money cant just be spent freely on them, they can only really spend what they make. It's not like the Steinbrenners who can just reach into their wallets and spend whatever cash they want. And the Jay's do have a huge payroll, thanks in part to Martin (who I do like for his leadership and willingness to do whatever to help like playing almost the entire infield) and Mr collected a full paycheck for 0 games played/I'm a shortstop only Tulo.

But Rodgers does like treating the Jay's like they are a small market team in a big market. That's the entire reason they went after Shapiro to run things, cause he was in charge of the Indians and ran them as a small market franchise. If you noticed with them, they never had alot of success on the field until he left, but they had a nice stadium and game day experience. Kinda what Rodgers wants. Support the team no matter the record like the people of Toronto did for the Leafs, and sell out the stadium buying expensive beer and food while hanging out with your friends.

Hopefully the Mets do us a solid and take them off our hands this offseason to ruin (oops typo, I meant run) their franchise.

The front office is already starting the 'soften you expectations for next season' press releases as it's going to be another 'development/evaluation' year with the younger kids being brought up to fill the roster while they slash payroll and stay out of FA signings that didnt come out of the dumpsters. (I keep hearing 'expect more Jaimie Garcia type signings' this offseason to fill out the roster, and Oh/Axford/Clippard types that can be flipped at the deadline for assetts)

good assessment, I'm totally p.o.'ed at the Toronto fan base in town.... for all sports...

Rogers uses the Jays as free advertising, does not pay a competitive amount for broadcasting rights, which is the money-minting playpen of the top half of baseball teams these days, Comcast deals are obscene....

yup, we think Toronto is a tiny market that can't compete;  as long as the Yankees and Red Sox are balling there is no hope at all, when one or both fall then the Jays may have a chance, but Bos/NYY haven't taken many years off since 1994

11 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

A's fan here. Pretty much playing on house money at this point. Nobody expected us to be here. 97 wins later, we're in and hoping to wreak havoc. 

I'm jumping on that bandwagon hard tonight!   :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

You mean the Mets could be run even worse than they are now?   :blink:

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I'm jumping on that bandwagon hard tonight!   :thumbsup:

You mean the Mets could be run even worse than they are now?   :blink:

The O's have given teams something to aim for in horrendousness

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeee!

That was one of the best at bats in a big spot that I have ever seen.  Voit just kept fighting off pitches until he got one he could handle.

That game was decided when the Yankees clinched home field.  The young A's (who have maybe the best defensive infield I've ever seen) seemed a little overwhelmed by the scene in the Bronx.

Running away from your starting pitchers who got you there is such a beta move, you are admitting you have no confidence in the upcoming game

good thing Judge put the smack down on this garbage like a rat trap, breaking the A’s neck.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Running away from your starting pitchers who got you there is such a beta move, you are admitting you have no confidence in the upcoming game

good thing Judge put the smack down on this garbage like a rat trap, breaking the A’s neck.

Severino was done after the 4th inning.  Everyone who know the Yankees well could see it.  One of Boone’s shortcomings, IMO, is leaving pitchers in the game too long when it is clear that they are done.  The real hero last night was Betances who entered the game with 2 base runners, and dominated for 2 innings.  Ideally, Severino would be a really good middle reliever, set up guy, or closer.  He’s not the guy who’s going to consistently give you 6-7 innings.  

7 hours ago, snafu said:

Wilpon is cheap.

And Jeff meddles too much is why Cherrington is not even throwing his name in the hat for an interview at GM. Mets will settle for the underwhelming Melvin or Larocque. 

That Atlanta/Dodger game last night had the intensity of a late August Sunday afternoon game at Citi.  Braves are won an easy division and look outmatched early on. 

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Severino was done after the 4th inning.  Everyone who know the Yankees well could see it.  One of Boone’s shortcomings, IMO, is leaving pitchers in the game too long when it is clear that they are done.  The real hero last night was Betances who entered the game with 2 base runners, and dominated for 2 innings.  Ideally, Severino would be a really good middle reliever, set up guy, or closer.  He’s not the guy who’s going to consistently give you 6-7 innings.  

He’s exactly that guy!! While I agree it was time to make the move, Severino is a horse. He keeps his velocity late in the game and gets better as games go along. His issue is that he starts off slowly when he’s bad: That game was over before the Yanks came to bat because good Severino was there. 66% of his starts went until AT LEAST 2 outs in the 6th. That’s a ton in today’s game.