Officially one quarter into the season what are your composed thoughts?

billsfan89

On 10/2/2018 at 10:12 AM, Dr. K said:

Why are people still even mentioning Peterman? Peterman has nothing do to with the miserable play that we saw against the Chargers and Packers.

Because he's still  on the team and if Wonder Boy gets injured, Nasty Nate has to go in.  I'll stop talking about him when he's not longer a heartbeat away from playing.

I hope the next time I hear anything from him is when he visits a few Bills fan's tail gates before a game 5 years from now.

I expect the bills to be at least competitive and try to win.  Since we are so not competitive, it makes me wonder if we're even trying to win.

This is the worst season since 2010 when we stunk and went 4-12 because we were "rebuilding" with Coach Gailey.  Hopefully this rebuild works out better.

Every year we pi$$ away makes the "one before I die" slogan less likely to actually happen.  Sad.

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It’s all part of their master plan! #TrustTheProcess

In the end it wont matter......Josh did need that year holding the bench down but what is done is done......

It wont ruin him to play him this year...but he isnt gonna look dramatically better until the team around him is better.

My thoughts:

This team is heading in the wrong direction. We value character over talent, and have overhauled the roster too quickly. We jettisoned too much talent just for the sake of changing the culture, and it will take years to replace all the 1st and 2nd round picks from the previous regime who are no longer on the team.

We lack athleticism in the pass game and truly need to overhaul what we have at WR. Trading a 3rd round pick for Benjamin was a terrible idea, and Zay Jones isn't good enough. His scouting report said he struggled to separate, and that's exactly what his problem has been so far. Beyond them we don't have any NFL calibre talent.

The QB is a major concern in my eyes. People talk about him developing, but so far he's looked exactly as advertised in his scouting reports. He's big and strong, but aside from a couple plays in the Vikings game it hasn't amounted to much. At this point he's just an athlete trying to learn the QB position and early signs suggest he has minimal feel for the position. He doesn't naturally know to take what the defense gives him, and constantly looks for the big play when it's not there. His ability to read a defense pre and post snap are extremely limited and at some point all the hits are going to take a toll. He needed to sit on the bench all year. 

The defense has some pieces but also a lot of dead weight. Hard to evaluate them when the offense is constantly putting them in bad spots. 

Like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly before, I think Coach McDermott is trending in that direction. He got rid of too much talent, too quickly, and despite having numerous draft picks over the past few years they foolishly used them in trades negating their value. Edmunds and White look like legit building blocks, but beyond that there's little to get excited about. I don't think Allen is going to make it (most QBs don't), and we legitimately need 8 or 9 new starters on offense next year other than Allen and Dawkins. 

I'm extremely unimpressed with this regimes ability to evaluate talent. As we heard today they value character over strategy which is a major concern in 2018. Maybe 30 years ago that approach would work, but in the modern NFL all that matters is the Xs and Os and we don't appear to value them. 

1.  Despite optimism, knew this would be a rocky season.

2.  Disappointed in play of OL and WRs, and inconsistency of defense.

3.  Encouraged by potential of Allen but realize he has a lot of work to do.

4.  Still waiting for a great offensive gameplan more than 25% of the time.

5.  Willing to give McD benefit of doubt this year.

6.  Still don't think Vikes win was a fluke; shows what can heppen moving forward.

Edited by eball

Going into the 2017 season, I felt worse about that team than I have any Bills squad this century.  How they won 9 games is a little mystifying.  I give McDermott a lot of credit for that.  But, that said, this team, by all measures was/is worse than that team.  I felt that 5 or 6 wins were the most we could expect, but had my fingers crossed that I would be wrong again...not getting that feeling so far...maybe they get better as the season goes on, which happens with young/bad teams sometimes....but I just don't see it translating into much more than 4 or 5 wins.  This team has issues...

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

My thoughts:

This team is heading in the wrong direction. We value character over talent, and have overhauled the roster too quickly. We jettisoned too much talent just for the sake of changing the culture, and it will take years to replace all the 1st and 2nd round picks from the previous regime who are no longer on the team.

We lack athleticism in the pass game and truly need to overhaul what we have at WR. Trading a 3rd round pick for Benjamin was a terrible idea, and Zay Jones isn't good enough. His scouting report said he struggled to separate, and that's exactly what his problem has been so far. Beyond them we don't have any NFL calibre talent.

The QB is a major concern in my eyes. People talk about him developing, but so far he's looked exactly as advertised in his scouting reports. He's big and strong, but aside from a couple plays in the Vikings game it hasn't amounted to much. At this point he's just an athlete trying to learn the QB position and early signs suggest he has minimal feel for the position. He doesn't naturally know to take what the defense gives him, and constantly looks for the big play when it's not there. His ability to read a defense pre and post snap are extremely limited and at some point all the hits are going to take a toll. He needed to sit on the bench all year. 

The defense has some pieces but also a lot of dead weight. Hard to evaluate them when the offense is constantly putting them in bad spots. 

Like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly before, I think Coach McDermott is trending in that direction. He got rid of too much talent, too quickly, and despite having numerous draft picks over the past few years they foolishly used them in trades negating their value. Edmunds and White look like legit building blocks, but beyond that there's little to get excited about. I don't think Allen is going to make it (most QBs don't), and we legitimately need 8 or 9 new starters on offense next year other than Allen and Dawkins. 

I'm extremely unimpressed with this regimes ability to evaluate talent. As we heard today they value character over strategy which is a major concern in 2018. Maybe 30 years ago that approach would work, but in the modern NFL all that matters is the Xs and Os and we don't appear to value them. 

The year after they make the playoffs in over 17 years.....this is just comical

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

1.  Despite optimism, knew this would be a rocky season.

2.  Disappointed in play of OL and WRs, and inconsistency of defense.

3.  Encouraged by potential of Allen but realize he has a lot of work to do.

4.  Still waiting for a great offensive gameplan more than 25% of the time.

5.  Willing to give McD benefit of doubt this year.

6.  Still don't think Vikes win was a fluke; shows what can heppen moving forward.

So the secret is to play a team on Sun. Thats playing the best team in the conf. on Thursday.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

My thoughts:

Good post and I agree. 

Last year, Bills and Titans were in a similar situation, both made playoffs after long droughts. 

This year, Titans continued to build on that talent pool and they are improving, beat the Eagles and Jags. 

Bills have done a complete 180. Continue to cut talent leaving holes all over the place. Getting rid of too much talent, too quick. Predictable back fire. 

Disappointing to say the least. ? 

16 minutes ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Last year, Bills and Titans were in a similar situation, both made playoffs after long droughts. 

This year, Titans continued to build on that talent pool and they are improving, beat the Eagles and Jags. 

Bills have done a complete 180. Continue to cut talent leaving holes all over the place. Getting rid of too much talent, too quick. Predictable back fire. 

the bills are also starting a brand new rookie qb.  i wouldn't say it's a totally fair comparison.  the teams are in pretty different places.

Just now, teef said:

the bills are also starting a brand new rookie qb.  i wouldn't say it's a totally fair comparison.  the teams are in pretty different places.

Yeah. Now they are. Polar opposite.

Just now, teef said:

but don't you think it's not a great comparison?  

At the end of the season last year, we were in a similar situation.

Now, no, not a great comparison. 

This is a decent read;

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/10/02/titans-vs-bills-nfl-football-mike-vravel-and-titans-bills-host-titans-bills-back-new-era/1502308002/

4 minutes ago, COTC said:

At the end of the season last year, we were in a similar situation.

Now, no, not a great comparison. 

This is a decent read;

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/10/02/titans-vs-bills-nfl-football-mike-vravel-and-titans-bills-host-titans-bills-back-new-era/1502308002/

i don't mean where they are as a team.  i mean the make up of the team themselves. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here are my composed thoughts.

The 2018 Bills are a terrible football team. But things will be better next year.

I’m just glad I picked the Minnesota game as my annual road trip!

maybe the bills community can pitch in and send you to all the road games? 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The year after they make the playoffs in over 17 years.....this is just comical

Both McDaniels and Kelly made the playoffs in their first season. 

Then their teams imploded mostly due to their personnel decisions and they got fired. 

56 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Both McDaniels and Kelly made the playoffs in their first season. 

Then their teams imploded mostly due to their personnel decisions and they got fired. 

And plenty of coaches took a team with its first playoff birth and built off it

so the real question is are you going to go negative positive in your thinking

6 hours ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Still 12 games left to play

6 hours ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Let me go on record as saying I am shocked you agree with Jrob's completely negative attitude.....I never would would have expected this from you based on your previous posts.

(yes this is dripping with sarcasm)

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And plenty of coaches took a team with its first playoff birth and built off it

Sorry but the Bills don't appear to be building off it. 

They appear to be in the 1st year of a 3 year rebuild.