The Rosen Era Has Begun in Arizona

26CornerBlitz

By Ted Nguyen Oct 30, 2018

The Rosen One

The numbers haven’t been pretty for rookie quarterback Josh Rosen but he’s been playing much better than they indicate. No, I’m not just saying that because I loved him coming into the draft. He’s doing the the best he can with a porous offensive line and uncreative offensive scheme — both of which led to last week’s firing of offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

First time play-caller Byron Leftwich called his first game against the 49ers in Week 8. For most of the game, the offense didn’t look much different, but it came to life late, as the Cardinals scored 15 points in the fourth quarter to squeak ahead of the 49ers for their second win of the season.

What stood out in Rosen’s college tape was his ability to read coverages and throw the ball with great anticipation. Those two traits showed themselves on Rosen’s game-winning touchdown pass:

TimelyRespectfulAphid-size_restricted.gi

The defense was in a cover 4 zone with cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon (No. 23) playing the sideline quarter and safety Tyvis Powell (No. 30) playing the hash quarter.

Tight end Ricky Seals-Jones (No. 86) motioned inside of receiver Christian Kirk (No. 13) and ran an out route while Kirk ran a dig route inside. Witherspoon passed off Kirk and picked up Jones, who ran into his zone. Powell made a slight mistake by taking a couple of steps outside with Jones.

Powell wasn’t terribly out of position but Rosen saw that he had his hips turned outside and knew he could fit in a pass to Kirk. When Rosen decided where he was going with the ball, Kirk was just getting into his break and wasn’t close to crossing past Powell. Rosen anticipated that we was going to get open and threw the ball with faith that Kirk was going to do his job — that’s high-level quarterbacking.

RectangularFlimsyHammerheadshark-size_re

The offensive line did a good job of picking up the 49ers’ defensive line stunt and gave Rosen the time he needed. If they can protect Rosen more often, the Cardinals will see more big-time throws like this from their first-round draft pick.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 10/21/2018 at 10:41 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wrong yet again. As if I haven't talked about the poor supporting cast surrounding Allen that's an indictment of Beane and McDermott.  I have in fact done so repeatedly.  From no veteran mentor to the poor WR and OL they have done him no favors. 

It ain't an indictment of Beane and McDermott. It's what happens in the second year of a rebuild. It's just a shame Allen didn't get the year to sit and learn that they obviously planned for him to have.

Agreed that not giving him a vet mentor from early in the offseason was a bad move. My feeling is that they thought McCarron would serve. But they should have brought in someone who had more experience than McCarron. That's a really fair criticism.

But a poor surrounding roster is just what happens this early in a rebuild.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:58 AM, WRONG JOSH said:

Josh Rosen is a highly touted rookie QB, albeit a struggling one at the moment. Josh Allen is a good athlete. I think Josh Allen would make a good H-back. Maybe we can sign him and Tebow and run the wing T offense because we sure as heck can't pass the ball with any consistency. Ground and pound baby!

If you guys think he's all of a sudden going to "get it" then you are delusional. He's never been a good passing QB at any level of competition.

You're right, he's not going to suddenly get it.

If he gets it ... and he easily might ... it will be a long drawn-out process. That process might hit a tipping point making it looks "sudden." But it'll actually be the result of a long continual process. If it happens.

As for who is delusional ... that would be anyone who thinks they know the future of Josh Allen, positive or negative. It's possible to guess right. But what you're doing there is guessing, and confusing opinion and fact.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:00 AM, WRONG JOSH said:

Hard to hear the truth. Keep living in denial. Ignorance is bliss.

You should know.

Edited by Thurman#1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I was on the Darnold train up until the Jets pulled the wool over Beane's eye's.  Then I was on the Rosen train and was not happy with the Allen pick.  I guess the only thing that can make me feel better about Allen is if Rosen continues to suck.

You're going to have to try harder to convince us you're a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Cardinals pulled quarterback Josh Rosen in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 40-14 loss to the Falcons after he threw two interceptions, took six sacks and got hit many more times, but they won’t be taking him out of the starting lineup.

That was the message from head coach Steve Wilks on Monday when he was asked about the possibility of playing out the string with Mike Glennon rather than the team’s first-round draft pick.

Wilks said he believes Rosen will continue to benefit from playing despite the shoddy state of the team’s offensive line and, via Darren Urban of the team’s website, that making a change would play into a “mindset of giving up and quitting.”

Given the importance of Rosen to future plans in Arizona, it’s not surprising that the Cardinals would opt to go this direction. Should the Rams and/or Seahawks subject Rosen to the same kind of pressure that the Falcons provided on Sunday, the team can opt to shut him down but if there’s anything left to gain this season it is from getting Rosen experience he can use to improve.

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

Rosen completed 13 of 22 passes for 132 yards and two interceptions during Sunday's 40-14 loss to Atlanta. He added eight yards and a lost fumble on two carries.

Sunday started off well enough. Following an opening punt by Atlanta, Rosen completed three of four passes for 63 yards to set up a David Johnson touchdown run. The luck ran out there. On the next Arizona drive, Rosen's pass was tipped, intercepted, and returned by Deion Jones for a touchdown. Following two more turnovers and back-to-back fourth-quarter drives in which the Cardinals lost yardage, the rookie was benched as veteran Mike Glennon finished out the game. Head coach Steve Wilks said that Rosen will be back under center next Sunday against a Rams defense that has been so-so this season. With reports of some house-cleaning coming to Arizona, it'd be a surprise if Rosen is able to turn it around this season.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

55 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I was on the Darnold train up until the Jets pulled the wool over Beane's eye's.  Then I was on the Rosen train and was not happy with the Allen pick.  I guess the only thing that can make me feel better about Allen is if Rosen continues to suck.

So Allen continuing to improve and playing well doesn’t make you feel good about him