Dwayne Haskins is going to be a stud

Haskins is the best NFL QB prospect OSU has had in quite some time.  It'll be fun to see him against PSU.   Need to see him under pressure more, but the kid's legit.  Meyer's hinted he needs to evolve the offense the last couple years and I believe this is it.  Much better use of their WR talent.

12 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Hopefully we don’t end up with the first pick in the draft... but if we do, and this guy is a no brainer for sure franchise Qb.

Do we :

A) Trade down and accumulate more picks.

B) Draft him, add him to the stable of Qb’s & let the cream rise to the top

C) Draft another position of need (Oliver or Bosa)

Didn’t miss this game!

I know it’s early in the season but this just feels like a year where I’m going to be paying very close attention to college football because we are going to be loading up on young talent in this draft! 

When was the last time an Ohio State QB was actually a good NFL QB? No doubt he is already a great college QB, but I have an Automatic Doubt Meter when it comes to OSU QBs .... Exhibit A Buffalo Bills fans = Cordale Jones.

26 minutes ago, CSBill said:

When was the last time an Ohio State QB was actually a good NFL QB? No doubt he is already a great college QB, but I have an Automatic Doubt Meter when it comes to OSU QBs .... Exhibit A Buffalo Bills fans = Cordale Jones.

I have no idea why this matters. Every prospect is different. If you used that to determine every qb to come out you would never see any QBs taken because there are so few “good nfl QBs” to begin with. Do you pass on Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen because there is a shaky at best history of QBs from those schools (or no history)? How about Wentz, Goff, trubisky,  the list goes on an on. In college,  Programs change, recruiting levels change, offensive schemes change, coaching changes, and every player is different. There is no “QB U” like there are other positions. 

The Bills are highly unlikely to take a QB this year but the scouts for other teams will be evaluating the current player, not the history of the position at the school he plays for. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have no idea why this matters. Every prospect is different. If you used that to determine every qb to come out you would never see any QBs taken because there are so few “good nfl QBs” to begin with. Do you pass on Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen because there is a shaky at best history of QBs from those schools (or no history)? How about Wentz, Goff, trubisky,  the list goes on an on. In college,  Programs change, recruiting levels change, offensive schemes change, coaching changes, and every player is different. There is no “QB U” like there are other positions. 

The Bills are highly unlikely to take a QB this year but the scouts for other teams will be evaluating the current player, not the history of the position at the school he plays for. 

Purdue is the QB U. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If you feel Allen is a franchise QB after his rookie year you are best off trying to accumulate picks in a trade down or draft Bosa or Oliver as a pass rushing force on defense. I think no matter what unless Allen looks completely tragic the Bills are going to build around Allen both via free agency and the draft.

As much as I like Oliver and Bosa I think the better play is to trade down for a package of picks IF it includes a top 10 selection in 2019, a 2nd round pick in 2019, a mid round pick in 2019, and a 1st and 3rd in 2020. That would set the Bills up to get 3-4 primer prospects in the 2019 draft and set the team up nicely in 2020. 

But if the offer is much more modest in a trade down take the stud pass rusher and figure out the rest. Odds are the Bills will have spent significantly in free agency and hopefully will have less holes to fill. Significant Pass rushers don't often become free agents so filling that need for a front line pass rusher is critical for the success of the defense. So for an extra 2nd and a future 1st I would pass and just take the pass rusher. 

Unless by the end of year 1 you have doubts about Allen, I agree, trade down.  The problem in todays NFL  with drafting another QB is you'll then have two QB that you'll not have a good idea about whether they're really good or not.  There's just not enough practice time available to evaluate a 2nd guy too.

Based on prior trades for the top one or two picks, I think it would be very hard for any team to trade up that far and not be In the top 10.  The only way is if there's really not anyone who stands out, then the buyers market dwindles.  But even then a top ten picking team may still offer the Bills the most to move up,  just not as much as typical in prior years.  If that happens, then the best option may be to draft Bosa or someone else at #1

11 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I thought I read here that the 2019 draft class for QB's was going to suck.

All you need is one good one to create a trade market in fact if only one likely could get even more in return. Likely last year took less to move up as teams didn't really need to get to #1 to still potentially get a good QB.

11 hours ago, bouds said:

Listen, the Chargers faced this problem when they drafted Brees in the 2nd round and he didn't develop fast enough, they moved on with Rivers, but Brees exploded that same year.  It seemed like less of a risk, because Brees was a 2nd rounder, but a sunk cost is a sunk cost.  Pick the best players and let them compete.

Honestly, I don't have a single !@#$ing problem with taking a QB again, really don't.  Personally I think Allen was a reach, so I don't expect much from him, but he's going to get the full year and if he doesn't show improvement and this team is drafting near the top then you bet your ass they better consider another QB, only other guy on the roster is Peterman....

If you hit on both trade one, it's a good problem to have.  Draft the best player and if it happens to be a QB so be it, let them fight and pick the best one.  Honestly, Allen is going to flame out, book it.  This is what will happen with the Bills, you all know it.  2019 first overall, we pass on a stud QB, Allen never materializes and we're !@#$ed for another decade.

Not enough practice time into todays NFL for that to happen and actually have a good answer.  If Allen does flame as you suggest then the Bills would likely be drafting near the top in 2020 too, then draft another QB.  The likelihood of someone being a franchise QB in 2020 is the same as 2019, who knows

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Unless by the end of year 1 you have doubts about Allen, I agree, trade down.  The problem in todays NFL  with drafting another QB is you'll then have two QB that you'll not have a good idea about whether they're really good or not.  There's just not enough practice time available to evaluate a 2nd guy too.

Based on prior trades for the top one or two picks, I think it would be very hard for any team to trade up that far and not be In the top 10.  The only way is if there's really not anyone who stands out, then the buyers market dwindles.  But even then a top ten picking team may still offer the Bills the most to move up,  just not as much as typical in prior years.  If that happens, then the best option may be to draft Bosa or someone else at #1

It also depends on how Bosa and Oliver emerge as prospects. The college season is still young lots of things could happen with those prospects. But if both finish their seasons strong and remain top tier pass rushing prospects I think you have to get a good package to trade down. I agree it would be hard for a team beyond the top 10 to trade up, when the Rams traded up from pick 15 they had two second round picks and traded semantically picks 15, 47, 49, and their third rounder along with a first and third in the next years draft. I don't see many QB thirsty teams having that kind of draft capital unless there was a team willing to trade all of their picks in rounds 1-4 plus a haul in 2020. 

If you get offered for sake of argument picks 8, 40, and a 1st in 2020, to me that's not enough to pass on a premier pass rushing prospect. I think you need at least a fourth in 2019 and a third in 2020 added onto that package. Honestly I am not sure there is a QB in this draft that will be in demand to a Goff or RGIII level. I hope there is because it is always good to have that trade down option. 

• 3 weeks later...