Every throw from Josh Allen’s 1st start

YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I have mentioned this but here it is again

More accuracy especially to the 2 throws to wide open WR's where the ball was thrown low and behind. Of the 2 INT's one was very ill advised throw and the other was very underthrown. I can accept INT's but the 2 he threw were very bad decisions IMO, and both very preventable.

He needs to identify matchups better.. This is something that can happen with experience, but he did miss a few wide open receivers while scanning only 1 side of the field.

Last word

Call me crazy, but I think those are pretty high expectations for a rookie QB on a team that allows 28 points in the first half - or even for a rookie, in general.  We had a guy in his 7th year missing receivers on every drive of every game.

I think Josh Allen deserves more time than a week to work on the things you're concerned about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Considering we probably have the worst offensive squad in the league Allen played pretty well.  

If you are worried after one game your expectations are kind of ridiculous. Rookies make mistakes, that’s just how it is. Now it’s all about Josh improving on them.  

We weathered an entire season of glaring mistakes and excuses from a rookie with Zay Jones and now he is our #2 WR.

I think Josh gets a little time to show let alone master the 25 or so different things you need to do to excel at the hardest position to play in all of team sports in the world. One where at any one time, only about a dozen veterans ever excel at in that world.

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There are things that come into play when identifying these things

On some of those throws where he missed open receivers.....he had immediate pressure in his face.....the commentator for the bills game was driving me nuts with his over anaylztion of Josh's throws......

"He really needs to take some chances"

"He really should have not thrown that ball"

WTF

"There was a receiver open" (totally dismissing the fact that he had free pass rusher bearing down on him on the play

There were things that Josh didnt do in the game that were on him.....but you can easily contribute those things to being a rookie.....rookies dont play like vet guys most of the time.

i wouldn't let anything Steve Buerlein has to say bother me.

He looked like a rookie.  But that tells you nothing. Growth vs stagnation is the name of the game. If he stays this guy forever he's a bust. If he improves then hes not. Simple as that.  I'm encouraged because he has traits that often go hand in hand with being able to improve. But it's all a mystery. 

I would say that "being concerned "by his performance simply means that you are too easily concerned.  

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Yes, but your observation isn't taking into account that it's his first start. you're grading him as if he's a veteran. so it's disingenuous.

"im very concerned at this junction" 

What junction? the first game he's ever played? you say that phrase when it's like year two and he's not leading WRs. you're being a contrarian. 

Conjunction junction. That’s what junction.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

2 passes to wide open receivers thrown way off target. Would of liked to see him throw and accurate passes here. He had time he just made piss poor throws to them

More than few very inaccurate thrown incompletions

2 INT's that were very poorly poorly thrown footballs and one of them should of been thrown out of bounds. The other was underthrown. Not an end all but not encouraging either.

Hopefully he is a quick learner and these things fade away quickly.  

What do I expect.. improvement

I think you are being hyper critical. It was his first start against a good defense. Darnold is considered the more polished QB and he struggled against the Dolphins. Darnold made several nice throws but he also overthrew wide open WR's including one in the endzone for a sure TD. Most of the time he had time in the pocket to make his throws. The picks Darnold threw were from a clean pocket even though Pryor took the blame for one of the INT's. 

https://nypost.com/2018/09/16/jets-receiver-takes-all-the-blame-for-killer-sam-darnold-int/

55 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I hope he gets much better quickly. His inaccuracy was a concern, and a concern we have all had the moment he was drafted. I saw inaccuracy a little too often and it worries me at this junction .  

He definately should be looking like a franchise QB in that 1st start

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Steve Buerlein that took ten years before he was mediocre?

But he was a pro QB!

That means fans should take everything he is saying as gospel....:)

The commentators that are former players of the position that are critical without calling out all the things that go with it frustrate me.....

"Josh should have made the play there"  (Hey Steve....YOU didnt when you were playing)

"Josh needs to be aggressive here".....immediately followed by "Josh should not have made that throw"  WHICH ONE IS IT

"Josh needs to see that open reciever" (the receiver was BARELY open and the pass rush was barely down on him by the time he was (talking about the Zay Jones play)

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Dude is strong. I didn’t realize how many steps he dragged Ingraham on his first INT. 

And huge. And pretty nimble for his size. He's just a player like no other and needs to be looked at as such. Not saying he is automatically going to be great or even good. But he is unique, and going by stats or what he does not do well that a lot of other QBs do have to take in other factors of what he does better than them.

He's a raw rookie.  Saw some good things, saw some bad. Just what you'd expect in his first NFL action.  Way too soon to make career projections. More important is the context of his performance.  No running game, no O-line, no receivers, no defense (at least in first half).  An interesting thought experiment-replace JA with Tom Brady yesterday.  How does Brady do with that context? I assume better, but how much better?

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And huge. And pretty nimble for his size. He's just a player like no other and needs to be looked at as such. Not saying he is automatically going to be great or even good. But he is unique, and going by stats or what he does not do well that a lot of other QBs do have to take in other factors of what he does better than them.

He needs to “learn” the game and he is certainly smart enough to do that. And continue to work on his lower body mechanics. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy watching his progression as he makes this team his. I was very impressed with his leadership on the sideline yesterday and it speaks well that KW was, too.

• Like (+1) 1

Homeboy moves around the pocket nicely, and seems to keep his eyes downfield more often than not.  I hope they work on his mechanics and help be the most accurate he can be, because there we're some throws that were' to easy to miss.

Imagine if he had a better O-line and a few NFL receivers to throw to...

previously i was critical of Josh's second interception. after watching all the throws, i may be off in that estimation. while his footwork was not perfect, it may have been more of a miscommunication with the receiver. you can see Josh throws it where had the receiver broke out instead of up, he would have probably hit the receiver.

When Allen went under center for his 7th time in the game, it was 14-0. 

Let's try to avoid that in the future. 

Allen looked like a high pick rookie QB. Some good, some bad. We are all going to see better and worse this season. 

The problem is that he has no line, no running game, no WRs. And probably no defense. 

But besides that Mrs Lincoln, how was the show?

Edited by BeginnersMind