Bucky Brooks: Nathan Peterman Will Be "Human Pinata" Behind Bad Offensive Line

26CornerBlitz

I think folks should go back to preseason game 1 and look at how well the offense moved the ball.  They were using a lot of pre-snap motion, never giving the defense the same look and basically kept them on their heels.  After that 1st game, they never did it again throughout the preseason. I have a sneaking suspicion that the offense is going to be pretty good.  While everyone is focused on the OL looking poor without a legit LT and moving Groy around to guard and center, it certainly looked like a tire fire. I'm kind of thinking that the OL is better than all the talk. Not that I think they are great, but perhaps surprisingly good.

Bucky Brooks has always been a hot take kind of guy. He'll never even get called out when he's proven wrong.  Just another day in Bills land.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

I think folks should go back to preseason game 1 and look at how well the offense moved the ball.  They were using a lot of pre-snap motion, never giving the defense the same look and basically kept them on their heels.  After that 1st game, they never did it again throughout the preseason. I have a sneaking suspicion that the offense is going to be pretty good.  While everyone is focused on the OL looking poor without a legit LT and moving Groy around to guard and center, it certainly looked like a tire fire. I'm kind of thinking that the OL is better than all the talk. Not that I think they are great, but perhaps surprisingly good.

Bucky Brooks has always been a hot take kind of guy. He'll never even get called out when he's proven wrong.  Just another day in Bills land.

It wasn't just Brooks opinion of the Bills' OL:

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It wasn't just Brooks opinion of the Bills' OL:

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

I know it wasn't just Bucky, but the title of the thread does only mention him.  Still, "the sky is falling" mentality around the Bill's OL is IMO way overblown. Can't wait for tomorrow. Guess the optimist in me just won't allow getting sucked into the doom and gloom bubble on opening weekend.

36 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t care about stats or how bad Brooks was as a WR or a draft pick. He managed to hang around in the NFL for 5 years and that’s doing ok for himself. Decent, in other words.  He wasn’t a starting CB or anything , just a DB in the league. If I had to pick a worst 2 nd rounder for the Bills it would be Torrel Troup ( ?). He was picked while Gronkowski was on the board and barely suited up for the Bills due to constant injury issues. Don’t know if he ever even appeared in a game. Was a higher 2nd rounder than Brooks as well. Anyway, it doesn’t have any effect on the validity of Brook’s opinions. That is the larger point. 

Oh no, it doesn’t I agree with you.  I only kept talking about this point because 26CB defended it so strongly and gen refused to elaborate.  I like listening to Bucky and I think he’s a good analyst.  His point here about the OL is legit.  I can can’t hear his name without remembering what a huge disappointment was for the Bills.  

Now what I do disagree is what you would consider “decent” at CB.  Not all players that play in the NFL are “decent” by pro standards.  Many are below average.  Bucky certainly fits on the below average category.  Why do you think he played so few games for teams?  He wasn’t good and they moved on from him fast.  If you want to say Bucky “played DB in the NFL” then that’s fair.  But he did not have a “decent” career.  He didn’t have a good career at all.

By your logic Lafayette Pitts is a “decent”

cornerback.  Chris Watson is “decent”. That’s not the case.  

I’ll say this he does deserve a lot of credit for returning from injury and playing a position on the opposite side of the ball.  Very few players are able to do this at the NFL level.  But Polian essentially drafted a WR that really didn’t have the ability to play the position at the pro level.  A terrible pick.  

Edited by BuffaloRush

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

...good assessment bud.......game planning to your personnel's strengths and mitigating their weaknesses as best as possible in the same plan separates the good coaches from the "not so good coaches"........so let's see what happens........of course, anticipate the pundits yipping about "what if your personnel has no strengths"......oh well........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good assessment bud.......game planning to your personnel's strengths and mitigating their weaknesses as best as possible in the same plan separates the good coaches from the "not so good coaches"........so let's see what happens........of course, anticipate the pundits yipping about "what if your personnel has no strengths"......oh well........

Sure but remember, these guys are on TV.  They take strong positions so it’s an entertaining to watch.  Plus they follow all 32 teams.  Based on what we saw in the preseason, the comments make sense.  Th Bills 1st team OL was really bad

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Sure but remember, these guys are on TV.  They take strong positions so it’s an entertaining to watch.  Plus they follow all 32 teams.  Based on what we saw in the preseason, the comments make sense.  Th Bills 1st team OL was really bad

...yup...so far they've pretty much resembled "F Troop" with Sgt O'Rourke (9 Juan Juan Castillo) leading the charge...let's hope Daboll pulls a rabbit outta his hat....or....elsewhere...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...so far they've pretty much resembled "F Troop" with Sgt O'Rourke (9 Juan Juan Castillo) leading the charge...let's hope Daboll pulls a rabbit outta his hat....or....elsewhere...

If it's elsewhere, I hope it's a whole litter of them. 

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Quick drops, quick throws.  Delays, draws.  Be interesting to see what Daboll draws up.

I think what's being lost in this scheme planning is that opposing defenses will also know that the QB will look to hit quick, short throws because of the lack of protection. CBs will be playing man press coverage and jump routes. Safeties won't play too deep as there is no WR on this team to stretch the field. It's going to be tough sledding if this offense can't  go deep from time to time and give NP some breathing room.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

I think what's being lost in this scheme planning is that opposing defenses will also know that the QB will look to hit quick, short throws because of the lack of protection. CBs will be playing man press coverage and jump routes. Safeties won't play too deep as there is no WR on this team to stretch the field. It's going to be tough sledding if this offense can't  go deep from time to time and give NP some breathing room.

Yes, it is a chess game.