Rapper Mac Miller dies of apparent OD

Buffalo716

5 hours ago, mrags said:

You don’t want to hear anymore responses from me. You’ll dislike me even more than you already do. And I don’t feel like getting another ban because my opinion differs from yours. 

Don't dislike you...BTW I don't ban people I disagree with.

5 hours ago, mrags said:

I have been in my current profession going on 10 years now. I’ve seen it all. I spent months at drug treatment centers, and years at maximum security facilities, and I can tell you most of the time it doesn’t help. It’s not a disease (imo) it’s a habit. Bad habit more like it. Bad influences. Bad decisions. Everyone controls their own fate when it comes to this type of thing unless your a crack baby. But if your in your teens or twenties or older, you aren’t suffering from that anymore. At that point youve made bad decisions. 

I will refuse to give any any thought to the contrary. I’ve made bad decisions in my life and regretted things, but I’ve learned from those mistakes. I’ve had hard times growing up and as an adult and I’ve grown from that. I’ve dealt with both parents as I grew up, and my parents separating and handled that. I’ve went through school and had grades so bad (my own doing) I would have a hard time getting into the most lax colleges and I’ve grown from that. I’m not saying I’ve had a very tough life, but I have went though some tough times. I’ve learned from my mistakes, I’ve grown as a person from the things I’ve learned. Never once in all the good or bad times was I like... “hey, ya know what would be awesome right now.... doing a bunch of heroin”. Because of that, I can say that everyone has a choice. And if you make that choice to do drugs to the point that you are an addict, I feel nothing for you. You are a burden on yourself, your family, and society and you should probably end it now and save everyone the grief that you will eventually cause. 

Yep, there's a lot of truth in what you say.  Initially it's a choice, no doubt.  Then in turns into something else...not sure you know that opiates actually rewire the brain.  I'm not going to change your way of thinking.  You're other analogies have no bearing on addiction.  I'm a neuroscientist...addictive drugs change the brain, zero debate.   It doesn't take very long for it to happen...then that's it.   If you want to call it something other than a disease I'm cool with that.  Sorry, but it's not a moral failing.  With all your years of being around addicts did you ask them if they wanted that life?  Not many do.  FYI my son "just ended it" about a year and a half ago...I gotta say THAT hasn't saved us one ounce of grief.  BTW I feel the same way you do about drug dealers

Stay strong mrags!!

last year I attended a third funeral for a somewhat wayward son of decent families, an opiate OD. 

This is new and would have wiped out dozens of friends and colleagues if it was around during my formative years in the 1980s.

This stuff doesn’t give you 20 strikes at the plate.

Edited by row_33

Mac Miller was a super talented guy. It’s awful to see.

For those of you that don’t think addiction is a disease, gtfo. I live with a recovering alcoholic that has been sober for just over 16 months. I see the struggle, up close, every single day. She either had to make a change or it would have taken her life (or someone else’s). 

There are a lot of people that haven’t been as fortunate. Many people have lost a loved one to addiction. If you don’t believe that addiction is real, you are wrong. If you aren’t sensitive to those that have lost that battle, you are an @hole. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Stay strong mrags!!

last year I attended a third funeral for a somewhat wayward son of decent families, an opiate OD. 

This is new and would have wiped out dozens of friends and colleagues if it was around during my formative years in the 1980s.

This stuff doesn’t give you 20 strikes at the plate.

We snorted this stuff in the 70’s. Called it T. Not sure what it was. PCP?  Heroin?  Not sure. No one ever OD’d though. Great buzz. 

Being opening day of football and the fact we will probably all be absolutely miserable after a loss today I will just stop now. 

Im an @$$hole and don’t care about it. 

If you’ve lost someone die to this ADDICTION, I feel sorry for you and your families. Sorry you were put through everything. Sorry you had to watch a loved one suffer. 

That is all. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Being opening day of football and the fact we will probably all be absolutely miserable after a loss today I will just stop now. 

Im an @$$hole and don’t care about it. 

If you’ve lost someone die to this ADDICTION, I feel sorry for you and your families. Sorry you were put through everything. Sorry you had to watch a loved one suffer. 

That is all. 

It’s opening day???  ?

3 friends have had siblings OD accidentally

2 have had friends purposely suicide by OD, leaving notes.

3 people i know directly have killed themselves - one was an alcoholic, the other two mentally ill.

it's been a deadly 12 months.

mental illness is dangerous.

46 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

3 friends have had siblings OD accidentally

2 have had friends purposely suicide by OD, leaving notes.

3 people i know directly have killed themselves - one was an alcoholic, the other two mentally ill.

it's been a deadly 12 months.

mental illness is dangerous.

So sorry to hear this, man. My condolences.

i have lost quite a few to addiction & mental illness myself. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

So sorry to hear this, man. My condolences.

i have lost quite a few to addiction & mental illness myself. 

i've known at least 8 people to take their lives.  at this point, as ridiculous as it sounds - i am not phased by it anymore.  i know the person is not at peace anymore, i know the person is gone, i know they were weak.  i have an odd relationship with death.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

i've known at least 8 people to take their lives.  at this point, as ridiculous as it sounds - i am not phased by it anymore.  i know the person is not at peace anymore, i know the person is gone, i know they were weak.  i have an odd relationship with death.

It's a sad state of affairs when OD's and mass shootings really don't make a blip on the radar anymore. It happens so often it's like watching the weather forecast.  

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

i've known at least 8 people to take their lives.  at this point, as ridiculous as it sounds - i am not phased by it anymore.   i know the person is not at peace anymore, i know the person is gone,  i know they were weak.  i have an odd relationship with death.

I know you are a 63 year old veteran (because you said so, or some such crap), and apparently weak in the mind yourself (though you think yourself to be superior). I wish somebody could believe anything you post, if you must post. What you think and what you know are very different things. Make up stuff and act like God on a less serious topic. Your ignorance can be tiresome. 

We’ve heard many of your personal beliefs (and possibly tales), but why don’t you take this time to share your mental health expertise qualifications. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

We snorted this stuff in the 70’s. Called it T. Not sure what it was. PCP?  Heroin?  Not sure. No one ever OD’d though. Great buzz. 

It was organic green tea.  Man, you dudes were crazy! 

On 9/8/2018 at 1:07 AM, mrags said:

Addiction isn’t a disease. It’s a choice. 

I feel nothing for these dead beats that go down that path in the first place. And even less for the ones that don’t see themselves as needing help. And even less for the scumbags that die from it. Natural selection. This trash was the bottom of the food chain. 

A lot of people get started on prescription pain killers, get hooked, and can't break the addiction. It's not always as simple as making a choice. 

Also, it affects people differently. I could never get hooked on opiates because they make me feel nauseated, but if they made me feel amazing, like they do some people, I have no idea how I would handle it.

It's easy to cast judgment, but it's usually more of a mental health issue than a moral one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, mrags said:

I have been in my current profession going on 10 years now. I’ve seen it all. I spent months at drug treatment centers, and years at maximum security facilities, and I can tell you most of the time it doesn’t help. It’s not a disease (imo) it’s a habit. Bad habit more like it. Bad influences. Bad decisions. Everyone controls their own fate when it comes to this type of thing unless your a crack baby. But if your in your teens or twenties or older, you aren’t suffering from that anymore. At that point youve made bad decisions. 

I will refuse to give any any thought to the contrary. I’ve made bad decisions in my life and regretted things, but I’ve learned from those mistakes. I’ve had hard times growing up and as an adult and I’ve grown from that. I’ve dealt with both parents as I grew up, and my parents separating and handled that. I’ve went through school and had grades so bad (my own doing) I would have a hard time getting into the most lax colleges and I’ve grown from that. I’m not saying I’ve had a very tough life, but I have went though some tough times. I’ve learned from my mistakes, I’ve grown as a person from the things I’ve learned. Never once in all the good or bad times was I like... “hey, ya know what would be awesome right now.... doing a bunch of heroin”. Because of that, I can say that everyone has a choice. And if you make that choice to do drugs to the point that you are an addict, I feel nothing for you. You are a burden on yourself, your family, and society and you should probably end it now and save everyone the grief that you will eventually cause. 

Sadly, this sounds like you’re not a very good person. That’s what it “sounds” like, but I won’t judge you by it, as I don’t even know you. How could I judge someone I don’t even know or understand? That would be STUPID!  Beyond that, the judging is not for me to do. I’ll leave that to God. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I know you are a 63 year old veteran (because you said so, or some such crap), and apparently weak in the mind yourself (though you think yourself to be superior). I wish somebody could believe anything you post, if you must post. What you think and what you know are very different things. Make up stuff and act like God on a less serious topic. Your ignorance can be tiresome. 

We’ve heard many of your personal beliefs (and possibly tales), but why don’t you take this time to share your mental health expertise qualifications. 

Yikes.  A lil high strung.

You don't obtain peace in life in the last few seconds of it to make the choice to end it.  Suicide and OD is not an ends to the means of the pain of life, it is a symptom.  Ive never spoken to an addict who  was at peace with their addiction.  My opinions of this are just as warranted as your opinions. Even if I am the only possible person in the world who believes believes this than I am just in being that individual that can claim this is my opinion. Your qualifications or anyone's to refute this are possibly worthwhile or meaningful - but from my experiences and viewpoint I believe the way I see it is applicable.

The whole point of me claiming to be some old Vietnamese woman or some other nonsense is that it never matters who the person is saying it because etheir opinion holds as much weight as anyone else's supporting or refusing it.

This is a serious topic.  I don't pretend to be the sky fairy. Claiming my ignorance is tiresome is just as much a reflection of those who choose to engage it as anything.  I don't hold myself Superior to anyone or anything. But, I don't hold myself to be less than anyone or anything. We are all a bunch of degenerates live on a rock hurling through space destined to become worm food, slaving ourselves away neglecting the point of life and worshipping false idols.

But, this is my view and you can disagree with it and I won't think any less of you.  I don't have to forgive you, apologize to you, make exception for you, nor anything else; at the end of the day I accept you and everyone else for who they are and could never care less to believe in my own self virtue that they're any different than I am.  So, carry on with yourself and know that I accept your difference of opinion, respect your choices, and believe that you have a right to your own beliefs even when they differ from my own.

PS:. Save the silly bold font.  It doesn't do anything

Edited by Boyst62