Are the Bills the first playoff team in history to be underdogs by more than a touchdown to a non-playoff team in the season opener?

John Gianelli

The Bills did make the playoffs BUT I don't think ANYONE (other than Bills Fans) thought of the Bills (neither then or now) as a legitimate playoff team.

Add to that, we are a team who's starting QB has not played one entire game and whose backup QB has never played one snap of a regular season NFL game. PLUS a brand spanking new Offensive Coordinator. Offensive line?? Defense??

Way too many unknown factors to bet on that horse!

Edited by cd1

28 minutes ago, cd1 said:

The Bills did make the playoffs BUT I don't think ANYONE thought of the Bills (neither then or now) as a legitimate playoff team.

Add to that, we are a team who's starting QB has not played one entire game and whose backup QB has never played one snap of a regular season NFL game. PLUS a brand spanking new Offensive Coordinator. Offensive line?? Defense??

Way too many unknown factors to bet on that horse!

i like the Bills at +7, also stating that they won't put any scare into the Ravens in the 2nd half and will achieve a back door cover

2 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Please delete if someone already answered this, but are the Bills the first playoff team in history to be underdogs by more than a touchdown to a non-playoff team (Ravens) in the following season's opener?

Yes.

It's part of a vast conspiracy orchestrated by Bill Belichick, Roger Goodell, and Jerry Sullivan.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm not sure but I'm guessing they are the first playoff team to have a consensus power rank of 32.

It is an absolute joke.

Yeah, I'm still having a hard time with that one.  I thought to myself this has got to be a mistake....I mean, DEAD last?  Really??

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

The Bills did make the playoffs BUT I don't think ANYONE thought of the Bills (neither then or now) as a legitimate playoff team.

I did.

Let's see...did the Bills make the playoffs? Yes.

Hmm. Seems pretty legit.

Reminder that the Bills have also been 9-7 twice before during the drought and didn't make the playoffs - because they weren't a legitimate playoff team that year,

Now - if you want to argue there were better teams than the Bills that didn't make the playoffs - I'l agree. Just as I'll argue when the Bills went 9-7 and lost to the Steelers to miss the the playoffs their defense was good enough to make them a "better" team head to head than some that did make the playoffs.

But they legitimately had a worse record.

• Like (+1) 1

The bills  went from a vet with 43 starts, 22 wins and a career passer rating above 90, to a second year guy who shattered the record for worst half ever played at the most important position in the game and a career passer rating under 40 on 49 attempts. 

To boot lost best players on o line. 

what would you expect Vegas to do??? 

Odds are not made based on the faith of the fan base.   

The only facts out support the notion that this offense will struggle. This will be the case until new facts emerge 

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Probably the first playoff team have 80-1 odds to win the Super bowl and often cited as the worst team in the NFL.

150-1*

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Bills will claim the double moral victory of not losing by too much in only losing by 7 and showing the haters.

Pretty sure that's not how this team functions. Simple fans maybe think that way but no way the team, coaching staff, etc think like that.