Is a "Bad" Year Really All That Bad for the Bills?

Midwest1981

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

it would have been better to do bad last year so we didn't have to trade all that draft capital.

Losing is not the way to get better.

Win now, win latter.

No doubt winning is better but this is obviously a team that is built to be in development this year. 

28 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Rex inherited the #4 defense, then left McD with the 19th. Rex inhereted a team that gave up 5,5 ppl fewer than he left McD with.  That seems like a big difference.

mcD inhereted a bunch of aging players with huge contracts, Rex did not have that problem. 

Coach McDermott inherited a top 1/3 of the league scoring offense and the league's #1 run offense.

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

That particular case didn’t work out... but the talent was certainly there...and if he just had the work ethic required, we wouldn’t be worrying about Star...so while Marcell didn’t work out, we still need that type of elite skill.

Im only saying the bills have tanked before and not all that long ago to get a top three talent.  It doesnt always change your team if you tank one season and get a top pick is my point unless that pick is a franchise QB that turns your whole franchise around.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

Im only saying the bills have tanked before and not all that long ago to get a top three talent.  It doesnt always change your team if you tank one season and get a top pick is my point unless that pick is a franchise QB that turns your whole franchise around.  

It’s interesting that Dareus was referenced as a top-3 pick that didn’t turn the Bills around (even though you can argue that in some ways he helped to when you consider his All Pro campaign in 2014 coincided with a 9-7 record and Buffalo from 2014-2017 went 33-31 while the Bills were 4-12 the season before Marcel got there). Still, it’s more interesting because the pick before him in that 2011 Draft- Von Miller- has become a Defensive Player of the Year, Super Bowl MVP, and eventual first ballot Hall of Famer. Even the picks directly after Dareus- A.J. Green and Patrick Peterson- feature a WR that helped transform Cincinnati into a team picking in the top-4 to a team who made five-straight Playoff berths and another Hall of Fame defensive talent in Peterson.

There are many other more recent examples of top of the draft non-QB picks that are instrumental in a team’s turnaround/transformation. Blue chip talent DOES make a difference then you also factor how drafting highly means drafting top-35 (2nd-rounder), top-68 (3rd-rounder), having four top-100 picks and seven picks in the first 5 round, etc. (all of our picks in the first 5 rounds plus the Chiefs’ 4th and Raiders’ 5th).

Edited by Midwest1981

No.

You want to see Allen progress and give you hope that next year he can win 10 games. Honestly a 4-12 season means a better draft pick to keep building the arsenal. I just want to see the competitive and close while the young guys learn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

This season is already set up for failure by McDermott, by starting Nathan Peterman we instantly have the worst QB in the NFL by a mile, which means it's gonna be a bad season, the big saving grace would be if came out of this season with and answer on Josh Allen,  instead he's relegated to friggen scout team reps, where he will develop exactly zero and we're gonna spend all of our real in season reps on a guy that can't make a single NFL throw to save his life. I dunno, looks like a complete loss this season and a big mess created ON POURPOSE by the HC.

Really?  Cause last year, McD & co. took us to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.  Peterman is at least as good, and if we actually get the O-line running partly through the season Allen will be an instant improvement over either.  Not to mention Daboll is a bona fide upgrade at OC.

I doubt we get anywhere near playoffs but we will be competitive in most games and BTW getting some higher draft picks next year will only help our 2019 draft & FA blitzkrieg.  10 picks and $80 in cap.  Why risk Allen now?

Allen is still the answer, but McD has WISELY chosen not to get him killed by this wreck of an O-line.  As soon as the O-line shows some sign of life, Allen will play and develop for next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

True.  We will win games we shouldn't due to good coaching.  Especially with Daboll onboard.

But man, that O-line … I cant see us making playoffs again until we address it.

I hear ya, but hopefully Daboll can pull out some smoke and mirrors and mirrors and make it work. I don't recall New England having great lines so hopefully this will work. ???

17 hours ago, jrober38 said:

A bad year likely implies that our quarterbacks played like crap all year. 

I can't see any other outcome tbh.  If it is as bad as a lot of us think, hopefully they go all the way this time to the #1 overall.  Question is, will the FO have the wherewithal to select another QB?  Highly doubtful, the old "hitched your wagon to this horse" mantra comes into play, which IMO is a bunch of crap.  1st rd QB's are cheap these days with the rookie wage scale, you keep picking them until one sticks.

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I don't understand threads like these. I get that being putrid will get us the no. 1 pick, but I'd still rather go 10-6 and make the playoffs. Or better. 

that's just crazy talk and not accepted around here....the higher draft choices are the real goal of fans here

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I hear ya, but hopefully Daboll can pull out some smoke and mirrors and mirrors and make it work. I don't recall New England having great lines so hopefully this will work. ???

Are you kidding?  NE always has a good OLine. That's one the reason (and cheating) they are as good as they are.  they also always have a really good kicker.  Ever notice that?

7 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

I can't see any other outcome tbh.  If it is as bad as a lot of us think, hopefully they go all the way this time to the #1 overall.  Question is, will the FO have the wherewithal to select another QB?  Highly doubtful, the old "hitched your wagon to this horse" mantra comes into play, which IMO is a bunch of crap.  1st rd QB's are cheap these days with the rookie wage scale, you keep picking them until one sticks.

Next year's QB class looks awful. 

Hard to imagine it will be worth targeting anyone with our top 5 pick. 

This year is all about Josh Allen for me. I just want to go into next season knowing we have a Franchise guy.

He doesn’t need to have a OROY type season for me to feel that way either. If we go 3-13, get the #1 pick and feel good about Josh Allen it’s a win.

And as of right now Nick Bosa > Ed Oliver. Both defensive cornerstones.