Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

Beane’s vision and plan is so obvious that when I see threads clearly not understanding what’s going on with the Bills and what they are trying to do I get second hand embarrassment. 

Someone already wrote it in here, but he’s clearing cap space, acquiring picks, and took a real shot at a franchise QB. It’s really that simple. The outcome can’t really be judged for at least a couple years, but here we are listing fringe roster players as evidence of failure. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

I think the lack of talent, excluding rookies, on this team and the huge amount of dead cap space pretty much says all you need to know about McDermott/Beane and their personnel skills: they're in over their heads.  McDermott is a good game coach.  He seems be a great coach at getting the best out of the players he has, but you cannot coach talent.   All the coaching in the world is not going to turn a JAG defensive end into Khalil Mack or turn Vlad Ducasse into Dave DeCastro.  McDermott is neither Bill Belichick nor Andy Reid; he should stick to coaching, have input into decisions on players, but he should not be charge of selecting player personnel, which it seems he is.

Beane seems to like to trade for injured players or players he and McDermott knew from their time with the Panthers,  and he wastes draft picks -- as in he wasted a seventh round pick on Corey Coleman when he could have picked him up as a FA 2 weeks later.   He also gambles too much.  He traded up to take both Allen and Edmunds, both of whom are "projects" rather than players who are bonafide Day 1 starters, although Edmunds is starting because there's nobody else and Allen may start for the same reason.

For all those fans salivating over the $90 million in cap space next season, consider that the Bills have so many holes -- mostly made by McDermott and Beane -- that there's not enough talent available in FA or in the draft to fill them all.

Haha. This is a perfect example of a not getting it post. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

That's silly, of course you can!  He allowed the Jets to job him and then compounded the error by trading up twice in the 1st round, lol!  And we have ppl here whining about long term vision, seriously?

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. But please, explain how the “Jets jobbed him”. Haha

I have no problem with the moves to get Allen and Edmunds.  We'll see how they pan out in the next 2-3 years but both had huge upside. Bills fans have been clamoring for a 1st round qb for over a decade.   Free agency is tougher to gauge because it seems like far more of the deals don't pan out than do and all the teams seem to overpay.  Sammy got 16 mill a year  .  That seems absurd.  

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

WHAT????? All the dead space not on Beane? Allen not on Beane? All the picks next year not on Beane? the $60M in cap not on Beane?  The trades last year not one Beane?

What part of this season don't you get? His post was about 9-7 and playoffs and 2 number 1s, last year. Last year is 90% Whaley.

5 hours ago, simpleman said:

Everything listed is Beane. He was hired over a year ago. Did he get a one year free vacation before he started his job? These are the  solid facts, not some alternate reality. You are judged by your actions, not your future fantasies.

Did he trade for 2 #1? Did he sign any player that led us to the PO. Shady? Tyrod? Kyle? Richie? Wood? Hyde? Poyer? Who?

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Umm. Last year was gutting the team of Whaley's picks.

Team was still staffed by Whaley's free agents and his last draft class.

29 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I see. You're one of those who think that Whaley had any say during his time as a lame duck.

I won't argue with you. But I disagree with you.

Unfortunately Beane was the heir to a salary cap situation that didn't allow us to spend and bring in new guys that fit what Beane and McDermott envisioned for this team for several years. So they dumped a lot of cap space in order to have their first stab at a legit FA in 2019. If we didn't dump Dareus and co. then, it would have just elongated the process.

Most coach/GMs start at year 0, or year .5 or year 1 pending the situation. I feel like Beane and McDermott came in at year -1, in a manner of speaking. This is their year 1, next year is their year 2, which I fully agree we all should be critical of

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

What part of this season don't you get? His post was about 9-7 and playoffs and 2 number 1s, last year. Last year is 90% Whaley.

Did he trade for 2 #1? Did he sign any player that led us to the PO. Shady? Tyrod? Kyle? Richie? Wood? Hyde? Poyer? Who?

Disingenuous. McDermott was running the show.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Unfortunately Beane was the heir to a salary cap situation that didn't allow us to spend and bring in new guys that fit what Beane and McDermott envisioned for this team for several years. So they dumped a lot of cap space in order to have their first stab at a legit FA in 2019. If we didn't dump Dareus and co. then, it would have just elongated the process.

Most coach/GMs start at year 0, or year .5 or year 1 pending the situation. I feel like Beane and McDermott came in at year -1, in a manner of speaking. This is their year 1, next year is their year 2, which I fully agree we all should be critical of

Thats not true. Dareus had a buy out option next year that would have drastically reduced the dead money to 2 mil or so. All we had to do was wait another season. 

Right now we are paying 23 mil in salary and dead cap for his lesser replacement and a 6th. 

32 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

2017 draft gets credited to Beane or Whaley?

Whaley. Bean was employed by the Panthers at the time. 

30 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

2017 draft gets credited to Beane or Whaley?

McDermott. It was widely noted by observers during the draft that it seemed very un Whaley- ish, and someone else may have been calling the shots. Whaley and crew did the scouting reports, but that was McDermott’s draft to own. The decision to pass on a QB ( so the next GM could pick their guy) was probably his as well. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Thats not true. Dareus had a buy out option next year that would have drastically reduced the dead money to 2 mil or so. All we had to do was wait another season. 

Right now we are paying 23 mil in salary and dead cap for his lesser replacement and a 6th. 

Whaley. Bean was employed by the Panthers at the time. 

Good point on Dareus, but McD needed to show the locker room that exceptions wouldn’t be made when effort was in question. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

I see. You're one of those who think that Whaley had any say during his time as a lame duck.

I won't argue with you. But I disagree with you.

Proof is what they do in the draft and in FA going forward.

39 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Disingenuous. McDermott was running the show.

If he was he should be getting Poyer and Hyde as FA's this year. So far I say he hasn't been as successful in FA's.

• Like (+1) 1