Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Keeping Tyrod wouldn't have created a serious QB controversy anymore than it is in Cleveland.

I believe it would have. Cleveland hasn't seen 3 years worth of 200 yard games.  Cleveland hasn't seen 3 years where any 4th quarter deficit is a loss. We had nothing new to see from Tyrod and it would have created a controversy.  Cleveland hasn't had the Tyrod experience so it buys more time before the cries for the rookie to step in become toxic.  

9 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I believe it would have. Cleveland hasn't seen 3 years worth of 200 yard games.  Cleveland hasn't seen 3 years where any 4th quarter deficit is a loss. We had nothing new to see from Tyrod and it would have created a controversy.  Cleveland hasn't had the Tyrod experience so it buys more time before the cries for the rookie to step in become toxic.  

Tyrod is a decent QB and we’d be thrilled with Josh Allen if he could be as effective this year or whenever he starts. Tyrod isn’t going to win an air duel or throw it all over the field, but he could keep drives alive, limit turnovers and make some great plays with his ability to extend plays.  Sure he’s not top tier or the prototype QB, but he is a good player that you can win with.  The only reason for controversy is a coach that lets there be one, but when you’ve got a known commodity that is a good player and you get rid of him to put your hopes in a raw prospect you’re making a very risky decision.  If I’m a coach I want Tyrod and I want to see the rookie pushing and performing so well that he can’t be denied.  I don’t want a clown show of inexperience and two guys that haven’t proven anything good in an NFL game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Tyrod is a decent QB and we’d be thrilled with Josh Allen if he could be as effective this year or whenever he starts. Tyrod isn’t going to win an air duel or throw it all over the field, but he could keep drives alive, limit turnovers and make some great plays with his ability to extend plays.  Sure he’s not top tier or the prototype QB, but he is a good player that you can win with.  The only reason for controversy is a coach that lets there be one, but when you’ve got a known commodity that is a good player and you get rid of him to put your hopes in a raw prospect you’re making a very risky decision.  If I’m a coach I want Tyrod and I want to see the rookie pushing and performing so well that he can’t be denied.  I don’t want a clown show of inexperience and two guys that haven’t proven anything good in an NFL game. 

I don’t disagree with you, you need a vet to put in front of the rookie, obviously AJ did not work out in that role. I don’t think that vet can be a mediocre QB who’s been on the roster for 3 years. That won’t work out.  Because when Tyrod puts up his third straight 7 point game the controversy will create itself.  If the QB is new in town people will be more likely to accept the slump. I order to have a successful place holder vet they need to be new in town or as good as Alex Smith, Tyrod was neither. 

On 9/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, simpleman said:

Everything listed is Beane. He was hired over a year ago. Did he get a one year free vacation before he started his job? These are the  solid facts, not some alternate reality. You are judged by your actions, not your future fantasies.

clearly he has a multi year plan- at least give him until next year when the clearing of the dead weight(Dareus, Woods injury, and Tyrod are necessary) is done. passing judgement this early is what simple people do.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Given that they made the playoffs in their first year I don't get your point.  But to answer your question Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Levy.

30 years dude. You are outside the window.  I take it Math isn;t your strong point.  And 1 playoff appearance isn't "consistent success"

4 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

30 years dude. You are outside the window.  I take it Math isn;t your strong point.  And 1 playoff appearance isn't "consistent success"

They have made it to the playoffs 100% of the time.  If Allen is good they will no doubt continue making the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You clearly didn't follow the original post.  

The post is about judging Beane’s success. So far he has made the playoffs 100% of the time. He has had one draft and One free agent signing period and none of those guys have had a chance to play yet so judging them is impossible. What do you think “consistent success” looks like for a guy whose been on the job for 16 months. 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:45 AM, SoTier said:

I think the lack of talent, excluding rookies, on this team and the huge amount of dead cap space pretty much says all you need to know about McDermott/Beane and their personnel skills: they're in over their heads.  McDermott is a good game coach.  He seems be a great coach at getting the best out of the players he has, but you cannot coach talent.   All the coaching in the world is not going to turn a JAG defensive end into Khalil Mack or turn Vlad Ducasse into Dave DeCastro.  McDermott is neither Bill Belichick nor Andy Reid; he should stick to coaching, have input into decisions on players, but he should not be charge of selecting player personnel, which it seems he is.

Beane seems to like to trade for injured players or players he and McDermott knew from their time with the Panthers,  and he wastes draft picks -- as in he wasted a seventh round pick on Corey Coleman when he could have picked him up as a FA 2 weeks later.   He also gambles too much.  He traded up to take both Allen and Edmunds, both of whom are "projects" rather than players who are bonafide Day 1 starters, although Edmunds is starting because there's nobody else and Allen may start for the same reason.

For all those fans salivating over the $90 million in cap space next season, consider that the Bills have so many holes -- mostly made by McDermott and Beane -- that there's not enough talent available in FA or in the draft to fill them all.

This is wrong.  He gutted an underachieving expensive roster void of any franchise players.  Turned some nice players into assets that landed a possible franchise Qb and Middle linebaker in year 1.  Year 2 with money and a foundation I'm curious to see how he chooses to build it.  I expect draft heavy on the lines and Fa on the perimeter.  

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You picked some inane time period for some reason.  But I'll play along.  Levy still fits.  Coughlin with Jacksonville and the Giants.  Gibbs.  

The point is that successful teams get s HC and front office that have a philosophy of play, and they then are diligent in getting the right players and right locker room mentality to carry out the plan.  That is a timeless way of building a winning organization, whether it be football or a widget factory.

I take it coaching and management in general  isn't your strong point.

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

This is wrong.  He gutted an underachieving expensive roster void of any franchise players.  Turned some nice players into assets that landed a possible franchise Qb and Middle linebaker in year 1.  Year 2 with money and a foundation I'm curious to see how he chooses to build it.  I expect draft heavy on the lines and Fa on the perimeter.  

Keep telling yourself that ...    The primary reason that the underperformed in 2015 and 2016 was coaching.    Instead trying to salvage some of the talent the team had, the Bills couldn't wait to start dismantling the talent that was on the team, allowing its best DB and 2 of its 3 starting WRs walk away in FA and trading away its best WR and its 2nd best DB in preseason.   These players were replaced with a first round rookie DB, a slow WR with chronic knee issues, and a couple of JAGs and numerous scrubs.  That continued into 2018, so now the Bills have a virtually talentless roster that is going to take multiple drafts to rebuild if it ever does ...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I don’t disagree with you, you need a vet to put in front of the rookie, obviously AJ did not work out in that role. I don’t think that vet can be a mediocre QB who’s been on the roster for 3 years. That won’t work out.  Because when Tyrod puts up his third straight 7 point game the controversy will create itself.  If the QB is new in town people will be more likely to accept the slump. I order to have a successful place holder vet they need to be new in town or as good as Alex Smith, Tyrod was neither. 

When has Tyrod ever been that bad?  If you referring to the circumstances that lead to Peterman starting last year, that was a case in point about how bad the offensive coaching and protection was, and quickly quieted any controversy.  Tyrod was maybe a 1/3 of the issue with the Offense during that stretch and that’s being unkind to be honest - the defense was a sieve, the line was as strong a wet paper bag, the offensive play calling was putrid, and the WRs couldn’t get open.  Expect more of the same this year and more often.  The controversy by the end of the season is going to be - who’s responsible for this team being so crappy and what the hell should they do.  People are projecting patience now, but they won’t be so patient near the end of the season when they’ve had to endure the rotten fruit of the Process.

Seriously, gutting a team and creating a ton of dead cap space isn’t a hard job.  Creating a talented winning team is - Beane has only done one of those.   I keep asking the same question - what are the Bills going to do with all of that cap space?  This isn’t the NBA where you get great players in Free Agency and can put together a dream team with a bunch of cap space - that never, ever works out in the NFL.  This team doesnt have a a core group of proven young talent that they need the cap space to keep on the team.  The cap space is not a big deal because this team has limited options to use it wisely. That dead cap space is how they were able to get decent hauls in some of the trades, but even then a 6th for Dareus wasn’t exactly a haul. What they’ve allowed to happen to the WR position and O line is embarrassing, and there is no QB, much less the two inexperienced guys they have on the roster who could succeed with the guys around them.  Throw in an unproven OC who has had absolutely no success as an OC in the NFL, and has shown his coaching can’t overcome talent deficiencies, and you have a recipe for a sh!t sandwich.  

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Keep telling yourself that ...    The primary reason that the underperformed in 2015 and 2016 was coaching.    Instead trying to salvage some of the talent the team had, the Bills couldn't wait to start dismantling the talent that was on the team, allowing its best DB and 2 of its 3 starting WRs walk away in FA and trading away its best WR and its 2nd best DB in preseason.   These players were replaced with a first round rookie DB, a slow WR with chronic knee issues, and a couple of JAGs and numerous scrubs.  That continued into 2018, so now the Bills have a virtually talentless roster that is going to take multiple drafts to rebuild if it ever does ...

Is there anything about the Bills that you like?  Has there ever been anything about the Bills that you like?

You don't let player walk away in free agency. They are in the open market and some want to move for a variety of reasons.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Is there anything about the Bills that you like?  Has there ever been anything about the Bills that you like?

You don't let player walk away in free agency. They are in the open market and some want to move for a variety of reasons.

No need to be defensive.  He is presenting cogent arguments that bother you because you want the team to succeed like the rest of us.  Fans don’t have to be blind.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is being analytical and making a reasoned prediction.  You get worked up here every week about that.  

He is being negative just to be negative.  Have you read his takes about how the Pegulas deliberately want them to be bad just to make money?

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No need to be defensive.  He is presenting cogent arguments that bother you because you want the team to succeed like the rest of us.  Fans don’t have to be blind.

"A virtually talentless roster that is going to take years to rebuild if it ever does"

That is hardly a cogent argument, nor analytical, nor a reasoned prediction