Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

I like the flappers, but the only place in town that has decent wings won’t accommodate.  Definitely has to be extra crispy...almost overly done and sauced lightly.

I enjoy wings that are fried and then grilled lightly.  Mostly a mild/medium guy, but I do enjoy some different “exotic” flavors such as mango habanero or honey/garlic every once in a while.  Most will scoff at this, but I like blue cheese and ranch with my wings.  Depends on the type of wings and my mood, I guess.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:18 PM, Augie said:

I have the CocaCola formula and McDonalds “secret sauce”, but my fingers are tired too.  :)

I remember the Durkee name, but can’t really place it. Old enough to remember, and too old to remember at the same time, I guess. Bummer.....

I always thought the "secret sauce" was just thousand Islands dressing with some relish mixed in.

Did realize I have one other original recipe. This probably won't mean much to many but back in Lancaster (NY) we used to have a pizza place named Vargos. Was the best pizza joint for miles... well, I have their sauce recipe. Only way to really use it is to break it Way down, its a bulk recipe.

Best wings I've ever had were at some crummy little bar at Broadway and Rt.77 out in Darien Center/Corfu. Place is long gone though.

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

I always thought the "secret sauce" was just thousand Islands dressing with some relish mixed in.

Did realize I have one other original recipe. This probably won't mean much to many but back in Lancaster (NY) we used to have a pizza place named Vargos. Was the best pizza joint for miles... well, I have their sauce recipe. Only way to really use it is to break it Way down, its a bulk recipe.

Best wings I've ever had were at some crummy little bar at Broadway and Rt.77 out in Darien Center/Corfu. Place is long gone though.

SunTrust used to brag that the Coke formula was stored in their vault and that they had a TON of Coke stock bolstering their balance sheet. I think way back when they performed some services and took stock in lieu of cash payment. Good call there. 

I think my favorite wings I ever enjoyed were at some little joint (I think called Rosie’s?) on the east side of Transit Rd in East Amherst. I don’t know why, but I just loved their wings. Just some little old house, probably gone for decades now, but I sure did LOVE those wings! 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I'd put myself in the snob category. I really don't much care for wings outside of the traditional Buffalo flavor - teriyaki, etc. I'm cool if you don't dip them in anything, but if you do, make it blue cheese.

Outside of WNY I find that most wings are just wet and swimming in generic hot sauce - a wing has to be crispy! Sauce yes, but not soggy soup...

Lot of places outside of WNY also seem to have super tiny wings - come on man, no sparrow wings..... 

Also, if you present me with a breaded wing (outside of KFC or fried chicken as opposed to wings) I may just have to beat you senseless with a drummie..... 

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

SunTrust used to brag that the Coke formula was stored in their vault and that they had a TON of Coke stock bolstering their balance sheet. I think way back when they performed some services and took stock in lieu of cash payment. Good call there. 

I think my favorite wings I ever enjoyed were at some little joint (I think called Rosie’s?) on the east side of Transit Rd in East Amherst. I don’t know why, but I just loved their wings. Just some little old house, probably gone for decades now, but I sure did LOVE those wings! 

I've banked with Suntrust for 20 years and they are being bought out.

The old family farm was on the east side of Transit Rd in East Amherst all the way up till the mid 60's. The land then became more valuable than anyone could could make farming so it was sold in the late 70's/early 80's... I forget the year. I'll have to ask some of my uncles/cousins if they remember Rosie's.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I've banked with Suntrust for 20 years and they are being bought out.

The old family farm was on the east side of Transit Rd in East Amherst all the way up till the mid 60's. The land then became more valuable than anyone could could make farming so it was sold in the late 70's/early 80's... I forget the year. I'll have to ask some of my uncles/cousins if they remember Rosie's.

My last 5 years in banking I was with Suntrust. They were less horrible than First Union, who gets a special award for miserable places to work. There is a reason First Union, as the 7th largest bank in the country bought Wachovia (a name most people didn’t recognize and couldn’t pronounce) and changed their name to the smaller bank. They were hiding from their own terrible reputation.  I think Suntrust’s new name will be Truist Bank. What does that even mean? And they PAID someone to come up with that name???

Rosie’s was there in the mid-70’s I know, but I moved away in ‘77. I don’t know why those wings were my favorite by far. We went to Duffs because we could get beer at 17, I guess we had wings too......

3 hours ago, Bandito said:

Look in the mirror

Nailed it!

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Rosie’s was there in the mid-70’s I know, but I moved away in ‘77. I don’t know why those wings were my favorite by far. We went to Duffs because we could get beer at 17, I guess we had wings too......

17? Amateur. 

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

17? Amateur. 

Duffs was an upgrade over Steak & Ale on Transit from the early years. Wings over peanuts, you know. Then there was the dive bar on Main St near Williamsville South. I think if you had two digits in your age they would serve you. We just needed someone who was 16 with a license and a car to get us there. Pulling up on our bikes might have caught a curious eye....

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Duffs was an upgrade over Steak & Ale on Transit from the early years. Wings over peanuts, you know. Then there was the dive bar on Main St near Williamsville South. I think if you had two digits in your age they would serve you. We just needed someone who was 16 with a license and a car to get us there. Pulling up on our bikes might have caught a curious eye....

The place on Main with the shuffleboard table?

Edited by dhg

4 minutes ago, dhg said:

The place on Main with the shuffleboard table?

That sounds right. On the south side of Main St. Big fixed glass windows up front, I think. I’m sure it’s gone by now or I’d  try  track it down next trip back. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, Augie said:

That sounds right. On the south side of Main St. Big fixed glass windows up front, I think. I’m sure it’s gone by now or I’d  try  track it down next trip back. 

Placey's.  Closed in 2001. Great dive bar. Cheap drinks and an atmosphere that encouraged rowdiness.  Fun times. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gomper said:

Placey's.  Closed in 2001. Great dive bar. Cheap drinks and an atmosphere that encouraged rowdiness.  Fun times. 

AWESOME! You nailed it! 

A HS buddy drove me home from there one night. The next day I saw a  young 15’ tree was laying down on the sidewalk. It looked like someone had driven into it. Hmmmmm. As long as I knew Steve, his front bumper was held on by a rope, as was his dashboard. I think he would have traded with the Beverly Hillbillies, straight up. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and a large amount of pizza and wings were ordered in.  Someone said “I’ll bet these aren’t as good as you get in Buffalo.”  My complete answer would’ve taken like 10 minutes so I just shrugged and didn’t say anything.  I didn’t want to be THAT GUY.

For the record on the wings I had one.  Huge bats that couldn’t possibly cook anywhere near as fast as the flats.  Had a bat.  Meat wouldn’t pull away from the bone.  Soggy skin and not just because it was takeout.  They were in the big, disposable chaffing trays and there was about 2” of sauce they were swimming in.  I got one off the top but it was still really soggy.  Asked which ones were the hottest.  No heat at all.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, BarleyNY said:

I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and a large amount of pizza and wings were ordered in.  Someone said “I’ll bet these aren’t as good as you get in Buffalo.”  My complete answer would’ve taken like 10 minutes so I just shrugged and didn’t say anything.  I didn’t want to be THAT GUY.

For the record on the wings I had one.  Huge bats that couldn’t possibly cook anywhere near as fast as the flats.  Had a bat.  Meat wouldn’t pull away from the bone.  Soggy skin and not just because it was takeout.  They were in the big, disposable chaffing trays and there was about 2” of sauce they were swimming in.  I got one off the top but it was still really soggy.  Asked which ones were the hottest.  No heat at all.

They should be put out of business.  Blasphemers.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2018 at 11:20 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Why do you say that? It packs Coca Cola field with thousands a year not to mention from  all 50 states and 20+ countries 

it’s definitely not a bad thing... I can relax with my family 

I’ve never been that impressed with the event. Long line after long line in the blazing sun for a handful of overpriced wings .... and it’s rather difficult to eat wings while standing and holding them  ... too many nonsensical eating  contests on the stage ... I am probably in the minority here, but I’d rather just go to my favorite wing joint instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’ve never been that impressed with the event. Long line after long line in the blazing sun for a handful of overpriced wings .... and it’s rather difficult to eat wings while standing and holding them  ... too many nonsensical eating  contests on the stage ... I am probably in the minority here, but I’d rather just go to my favorite wing joint instead. 

I never said it was a great event. It's more about how it attracts people from all over the world

I would much rather go to my favorite place as well but for a few hours with family it isn't too bad