How many here work on their car?

RochesterRob

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

IIRC, a friend's wife pulled up to the pump, saw the 'regular/mid/premium' hose was bagged over, so she did manage to get $5 worth of diesel in her gasoline powered Honda.  My friend asked her how she fit the hose, her answer was there WAS a lot of splash back, the hose really didn't fit correctly.

At least it wasn't gas in a diesel engine.  That would be very bad.  Diesel in gasoline engine, drain it, clean injectors/carb (but what passenger vehicle has carbs now)... Purge the residue... It should be fine.  I assume she tried to start it.

Other way around, probably not pretty gas in a diesel... And that nozzle will fit!

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

I own a Ford......I work on it daily.

Ford =

Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily

Fiat =

Fix It Again Tony

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

you paid to go to college so that you could pay somebody with a high school degree to do a job for you?

Hope he didn't get his degree in finance or econonics.  The Navy is looking for those degrees.  They got nice $700 toilet seats to buy!

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

you paid to go to college so that you could pay somebody with a high school degree to do a job for you?

absolutely.... I even pay people with NO degree..not even high school, to do jobs for me that I don't want to do. Life is grand no????

• Like (+1) 1

Getting ready to change the brakes and rotors out on my Jeep.  It's about $200 more to have it done in the shop and some times it is worth it.

To get an oil change at a shop it's about $35.  To do it at home is almost $30 these days.  When I was a teenager I'd do it myself for barely $10.  Back in my day I drove up hill both ways in the snow. These days kids, on my lawn... Postage stamps $.37?!?  I fought the Nazi's in Pearl.  People just don't know a good value anymore. It ain't been the same since the good old days back in '92.

Also, there ain't much I have not done to a tractor or truck. I got bored once and took the engine of an S-10 apart. I look at my F350 motor compartment and ****, though.  I won't do more than the fuel filters, oil, or warsh it.  The big boy is scary and there is no room; putting in a cold air intake was a 4 hour job because I kept playing on my phone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Also, there ain't much I have not done to a tractor or truck. I got bored once and took the engine of an S-10 apart. I look at my F350 motor compartment and ****, though.  I won't do more than the fuel filters, oil, or warsh it.  The big boy is scary and there is no room; putting in a cold air intake was a 4 hour job because I kept playing on my phone.

That's just it. I'll work on the old ones or on my boats, but on a new truck or car, all of a sudden you start snapping plastic pieces and there isnt any room to work under the hood. So a simple project turns into some chinese jigsaw puzzle. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

That's just it. I'll work on the old ones or on my boats, but on a new truck or car, all of a sudden you start snapping plastic pieces and there isnt any room to work under the hood. So a simple project turns into some chinese jigsaw puzzle. 

I do like my new truck. At a tailgate in years past someone poured a beer down my fuel line. But with a diesel it has the separator for water.  It did it's job and I could smell the diesel smelling beer when I drained it. It took 3 times but i did it.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, RochesterRob said:

Today I changed the engine oil in the pickup along with the filter.  Just as cheap to go to the lube shop but there is something satisfying about doing it yourself.  Further, other than relying on the woman to do the filter lookup (no guide in the filter aisle) I did not have to rely on any one.  I'm not so big on the home improvement stuff but am changing out the kitchen faucet, replacing the entrance way gutter, and resurrecting the television antennae  complete with new pole.  Doing the antennae in part to knock a little off the satellite bill and get more local selection.  Got a feeling if the Bills are really bad this year I may need to pull in Buffalo television to see some games.  

I used to really get great satisfaction out of doing my own yard, especially on a hot day. To look out and see it looking all perfectly manicured with a cold beer in hand was an awesome feeling. We now live in a community where the HOA fee covers all yard maintenance, because I only deserve so much satisfaction in my life.   

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, RochesterRob said:

Today I changed the engine oil in the pickup along with the filter.  Just as cheap to go to the lube shop but there is something satisfying about doing it yourself.  Further, other than relying on the woman to do the filter lookup (no guide in the filter aisle) I did not have to rely on any one.  I'm not so big on the home improvement stuff but am changing out the kitchen faucet, replacing the entrance way gutter, and resurrecting the television antennae  complete with new pole.  Doing the antennae in part to knock a little off the satellite bill and get more local selection.  Got a feeling if the Bills are really bad this year I may need to pull in Buffalo television to see some games.  

I only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil now.  I don't change the oil myself anymore but use a guy who does it to earn extra income.  He has a lift in his garage.  I change it every 7000 to 8000 miles.   The oil is really cheap if your willing to do rebates.   I have paid as little as $12 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic.   Here is the current link.  I keep an inventory of two 5 quart jugs for whenever the time comes.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11889943-mobil1-rebates-started?src=SiteSearchV2Algo

Years ago there was a regular poster here who informed my about slick deals.   Fezmed where are you?   Anyway, it is now an addiction as I do not buy anything without looking for deals here first.   It has saved me a considerable amount.  Of course it also costs me as I buy some things I might not have otherwise.

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I do like my new truck. At a tailgate in years past someone poured a beer down my fuel line. But with a diesel it has the separator for water.  It did it's job and I could smell the diesel smelling beer when I drained it. It took 3 times but i did it.

Did you get the hint?

???

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You find that by telling mechanics that you change your oil you are now considered one of them?

No.  They think you are an idiot that went to college and is just trying to fit in...

... Tell tale sign is usually the stripped out oil pan drain plug from using the Crescent wrench on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

?

I am sure brakes, batteries, timing belts, air filters, spark plugs, etc... all need to be changed on Honda's too...

In that case... yes, I do general maintenance on our cars.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I take off road whenever I get a chance. I do most of the work on it myself, including routine maintenance like fluid and filter changes, brakes, tire rotations, etc. I also have a lift and a few other upgrades, all that I’ve installed myself. I want to regear the differentials once the powertrain warranty is up. That’s an easy job to screw up and requires specialty tools I don’t have, so I’ll have that done by a pro when the time comes.