Da Bears Preseason Announcing Team

eball

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So there's a LOT of TSW contributors who would be great announcers?

If "drunken fan banter" is the bar for great announcing, I find it hard to believe that there aren't posters here that could do a better job than the clowns on last night's broadcast.  It is worth the time to look up the broadcast if you haven't seen it yet.  Do it after you put the women and children to bed...

Truly, I have heard better quality broadcasts from small D-III NCAA schools.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You ever hear me call a high school game on radio?

well...of course not! Hope you did not take what i said seriously...but you gotta admit you would be just like Brandt if ya got to call a Bills game no? I would love it! 5 years ago I used to hate to listen to Edwards call a game..now when the Bruins/Sabres play i intentionally watch/record the NESN feed. Don't want a national team to do that style..but I find it kinda fun to listen to!! I actually liked those guys last night...it was different and its freaking preseason and the dude was living out a dream..

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

Truly, I have heard better quality broadcasts from small D-III NCAA schools.

Often times done by marginal students in the schools' sports journalism programs. I think we're on the same page with regards to that.

I haven't heard Bears Fanboy's call of the game, but I'll see if I can chase it down.

1 hour ago, eball said:

4th quarter on Bills' game-winning drive:

2nd-and-3 on Bears' 49:  "I'm smellin' an interception right now, Jim...I'm just smellin' it I'm gonna call my shot."

But that next pass was almost intercepted..gotta give him that! ?

And god dang, how many pick 6 the Bills be throwing on that route this year? 

2 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

The whole Good Morning Football crew are clowns, Nate is passable since he played NFL football, and the chick is hot. But that Peter guy makes it unwatchable and Brandt is just a slightly lesser tool.

Your standard for "hot" is very pedestrian.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ah.  Kelso.  And quite honestly, probably every colour commentator in the booths of most teams.

Except Brandt wasn't the color guy.  He was the play-by-play guy.  He literally added nothing to the broadcast, and made himself look ridiculous in the process.

Was there are game happening anytime during their kaffeeklatsch? Was there another team on the field besides the Bears? You would not have known it while they were asking each other, "Who on the Bears would you say has the most colorful underwear?" "Who was the greatest Bear ever at spelling?"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Anyone else watch this game on Game Pass and get the Bears' feed?  Apparently they gave the Good Morning Football host Kyle Brandt (a Chicago native) an opportunity to do the play-by-play and this was some of the most over the top, hyped commentary I've ever seen in a preseason game.  I was either laughing or shaking my head throughout the broadcast -- just wondered if anyone else had the same reaction.  Obviously he's a successful dude but he came across like a tool.

OMG!!! Can’t believe they didn’t have Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth for that historic game!

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

honest to sweet baby jesus, on touchdowns this is what they say: "Touchdown, Bear down!"

EDIT>  DANG IT. Two posts about same thing. It's so bad, however that it's worth reading twice. 

well  they finally got it down at the end when Bills scored the winning TD

bears down.

30 minutes ago, eball said:

Except Brandt wasn't the color guy.  He was the play-by-play guy.  He literally added nothing to the broadcast, and made himself look ridiculous in the process.

Understood.  It's grating when colour is too 'chatty', it can only be worse if 'play by play' decides to yak it up.

3 hours ago, scribo said:

There was a lot of commentary about this in the two game threads last night. It was comical at first, but it didn't take too long to become nauseating.

Some tidbits I learned in the 1st half from the Bears' broadcast:

- Zay Jones "can fly"

Personally I dont think that that description of a guy who ran a 4.45 40 time is over the top.  

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

I loved it.....the Super Fans were so much better than the crew last night...

myself and a couple of roomies in college went out as them one year.

two of us were thin, the other two are quite large.

we bought some old school retro bears stuff off ebay really cheap, some aviators, and some fake 'staches

it was glorious

i got a photo at about 2am, we had ordered burgers to take back to the dorm, and one of the big dudes was leaning forward, drunk, eating it

i got a pic with his mouth open, glancing up at the camera like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, it was epic

i'll see if i can find it somewhere

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/final-game-is-not-your-grandfather-s-bears-broadcast

"My plan is to make it a three-hour Bears broadcast, with Bears and Bills as the backdrop," Brandt said. "I'm talking any topic you can imagine with the 2018 Bears. Let's talk about Bears teams of the past, of the future, it's going to be a Bears radio show for three hours, and there's going to be a game going on.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well...of course not! Hope you did not take what i said seriously...but you gotta admit you would be just like Brandt if ya got to call a Bills game no? I would love it! 5 years ago I used to hate to listen to Edwards call a game..now when the Bruins/Sabres play i intentionally watch/record the NESN feed. Don't want a national team to do that style..but I find it kinda fun to listen to!! I actually liked those guys last night...it was different and its freaking preseason and the dude was living out a dream..

I know you were just kidding. Actually my latest broadcast position has given me the opportunity to do some play-by-play, something I'd never done before. So far I've done hockey the most, some football and one girls basketball game. It's a blast but hard to do well. Hockey especially.

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know you were just kidding. Actually my latest broadcast position has given me the opportunity to do some play-by-play, something I'd never done before. So far I've done hockey the most, some football and one girls basketball game. It's a blast but hard to do well. Hockey especially.

I am always in amazement how people call hockey games and horse races...no freaking way could i do that job!