Atlanta

whatdrought

Going on a business trip to Atlanta next week with the Mrs. and looking for suggestions? Nice restaurants or attractions that can be experienced without breaking the bank? 

I've also wondered about finding myself in a sports bar to watch the opener on Thursday night if anyone has any suggestions? 

Edited by whatdrought

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Going on a business trip to Atlanta next week with the Mrs. and looking for suggestions? Nice restaurants or attractions that can be experienced without breaking the bank? 

I've also wondered about finding myself in a sports bar to watch the opener on Thursday night if anyone has any suggestions? 

Where will you be staying/working?  Different answers if you are in downtown vs Decatur vs Buckhead vs Alpharetta. Big place. 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Where will you be staying/working?  Different answers if you are in downtown vs Decatur vs Buckhead vs Alpharetta. Big place. 

I don't know the city at all, but my Airbnb res. says downtown. Map shows a Centennial Olympic park right near the location. 

49 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Put together a bills cocktail get together ?

4 hours ago, teef said:

if you don't do freaknik, you're not doing atlanta right.

It's been almost 10 years since Freaknik happened.  Keep up with the times homie.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don't know the city at all, but my Airbnb res. says downtown. Map shows a Centennial Olympic park right near the location. 

Yeah you're downtown.  I wouldn't go any further south without a bullet proof vest.

You're not too far from Coke or the Aquarium which is the biggest in the US.

Hudson Grille in Midtown isn't too far from you and that's a good sports bar.  Used to be a Bills Backers bar.  It's on Peachtree.

STATS is also a good sports bar.  I think it's on Luckie Street.

The Vortex is also a famous spot.  There's one on Peachtree in Atlanta but also one in the Decatur area.

They're famous for this particular burger: http://www.foodchallenges.com/challenges/the-vortexs-quadruple-bypass-burger-challenge-midtown/

Piedmont Park is like a mini Central Park.  That's in the heart of Midtown.  

If you want to travel a little bit, you're about 25 or so miles from Stone Mountain. 

Ponce City Market is cool for eating and drinking. Kinda touristy but good people watching. Krog St Market is a similar/smaller venue as well. Plenty of breweries in the area if you're a beer guy. Scofflaw, New Realm and Monday Night are all close to where you'll be.

19 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Atlanta has a tourist area...who plans a vacation to Atlanta? 

If I were going to plan a vacation to GA, I'd go to Savannah, that's a fun little town.   The shopping has become insane with the Tanger Outlets but it's over by the interstate.   Savannah is still cool.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah you're downtown.  I wouldn't go any further south without a bullet proof vest.

You're not too far from Coke or the Aquarium which is the biggest in the US.

Hudson Grille in Midtown isn't too far from you and that's a good sports bar.  Used to be a Bills Backers bar.  It's on Peachtree.

STATS is also a good sports bar.  I think it's on Luckie Street.

The Vortex is also a famous spot.  There's one on Peachtree in Atlanta but also one in the Decatur area.

They're famous for this particular burger: http://www.foodchallenges.com/challenges/the-vortexs-quadruple-bypass-burger-challenge-midtown/

Piedmont Park is like a mini Central Park.  That's in the heart of Midtown.  

If you want to travel a little bit, you're about 25 or so miles from Stone Mountain. 

Agreed....do NOT go south of downtown. Grady Hospital is very good with gunshot wounds for a reason. Practice, practice, practice...

I didn’t think I’d like another aquarium, but I enjoyed it and preferred it to the Coke museum. College football HOF is nearby too, but I haven’t been there yet. 

I used to go to Hudson Grille for Bills games. Nice place to watch a game. Stats is cool too. The Vortex has a comedy club attached and it’s smokey as hell. You might come out smelling like a dirty ashtray unless they’ve changed things. 

Too many restaurants...not sure where to start! We like Antica Posta in Buckhead and Canoe (near the Vinings -close to home but outside of downtown) is our favorite. Rathbun Steak is terrific and right on the Beltline which is very cool. Ladybird right across the Beltline is for those younger and hipper than myself, but cool. 

I’d at least consider Ponce City Market and/or Krog St Market. Ponce is the bigger version, and again on the Beltline (a not yet completed 22 mile pedestrian loop around the city). 

I think Piedmont Park was designed by the same guy who did Central Park in NYC. Cool place. 

The Atlanta History Center is in Buckhead and great if you’re into that kind of thing. Again, one thing I liked more than I thought I would. 

Again, depending upon what you like, maybe consider a tour of the Fox Theater which is close to Hudson Grille on Peachtree. Very cool old theater.

The Battery area surrounding the Braves new stadium is 65 acres full of shops, bars and restaurants. Antico Pizza and Punchbowl Social (like an adult Dave and Busters) are two of my favorites there, but there are tons to choose from.  If you can’t find some fun there you’re not trying. They also do tours of the Braves stadium. Don’t accidentally go to The Battery on a game day unless you’re trying to see the game. I’m sure you’ll see Mercedes Benz Stadium downtown...it’s hard to miss! It looks like Aliens landed. 

If I’m going to have adult beverages I Uber my way around and rarely wait more than just a few minutes. Great coverage and it may be easier (and cheaper) than parking in some situations. 

Downtown has big offices and the venues, but people and a lot of things to do are more in the midtown and Buckhead locations. It all kind of blends together, but Peachtree runs right up through the heart of all of it. 

That’s off the top of my head. I’ll throw out more ideas if they pop up. 

Oh, and if you’ve heard of The Varsity and think you want to try it, think again! It ain’t no Ted’s! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If I were going to plan a vacation to GA, I'd go to Savannah, that's a fun little town.   The shopping has become insane with the Tanger Outlets but it's over by the interstate.   Savannah is still cool.   

I've been to Savannah many times when I was in the service..jekyl island.Very beautiful place...the city reminds me of Charleston,SC..or New Orleans. The OP is going to ATL for a work conference,which is fitting because it's a massive corporate city..

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Savannah has done an AMAZING job transforming itself in the last 20+ years. The historic district is really nice. 

1 hour ago, Richmond_Bills said:

Taco Mac or Hudson Grille for the game.  So many absolutely fine restaurants to choose.  If you are looking for an expensive night out - Hal's in Buckhead is an absolutely classic old steakhouse.  

Taco Mac has an INSANE beer collection that they rotate. There’s some club people join to see how many beers you can try. Buy a billion dollars worth of beer and you get a mug or something. If you like different beers, it’s a great option. 

On 8/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, Augie said:

Agreed....do NOT go south of downtown. Grady Hospital is very good with gunshot wounds for a reason. Practice, practice, practice...

I didn’t think I’d like another aquarium, but I enjoyed it and preferred it to the Coke museum. College football HOF is nearby too, but I haven’t been there yet. 

I used to go to Hudson Grille for Bills games. Nice place to watch a game. Stats is cool too. The Vortex has a comedy club attached and it’s smokey as hell. You might come out smelling like a dirty ashtray unless they’ve changed things. 

Too many restaurants...not sure where to start! We like Antica Posta in Buckhead and Canoe (near the Vinings -close to home but outside of downtown) is our favorite. Rathbun Steak is terrific and right on the Beltline which is very cool. Ladybird right across the Beltline is for those younger and hipper than myself, but cool. 

I’d at least consider Ponce City Market and/or Krog St Market. Ponce is the bigger version, and again on the Beltline (a not yet completed 22 mile pedestrian loop around the city). 

I think Piedmont Park was designed by the same guy who did Central Park in NYC. Cool place. 

The Atlanta History Center is in Buckhead and great if you’re into that kind of thing. Again, one thing I liked more than I thought I would. 

Again, depending upon what you like, maybe consider a tour of the Fox Theater which is close to Hudson Grille on Peachtree. Very cool old theater.

The Battery area surrounding the Braves new stadium is 65 acres full of shops, bars and restaurants. Antico Pizza and Punchbowl Social (like an adult Dave and Busters) are two of my favorites there, but there are tons to choose from.  If you can’t find some fun there you’re not trying. They also do tours of the Braves stadium. Don’t accidentally go to The Battery on a game day unless you’re trying to see the game. I’m sure you’ll see Mercedes Benz Stadium downtown...it’s hard to miss! It looks like Aliens landed. 

If I’m going to have adult beverages I Uber my way around and rarely wait more than just a few minutes. Great coverage and it may be easier (and cheaper) than parking in some situations. 

Downtown has big offices and the venues, but people and a lot of things to do are more in the midtown and Buckhead locations. It all kind of blends together, but Peachtree runs right up through the heart of all of it. 

That’s off the top of my head. I’ll throw out more ideas if they pop up. 

Oh, and if you’ve heard of The Varsity and think you want to try it, think again! It ain’t no Ted’s! 

I think we're all in agreement when I say Pink Pony...am I rite?

I hope we get a report when you’re done with your trip. It’s not my favorite place, but it’s not the worst either....