Cover 1: Aaron Quinn's "Closing Arguments" Case for Starting Allen

For me there are a few questions that need to be asked: 

1- Is Allen the best overall QB on the team right now? 

2- Do you play to win the game? 

3- Do you change your game plan to prevent the possibility of injury. 

My answers to these three are yes, yes, and no. So starting Allen seems straight forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

AJM has 4 all of starts to his credit in his 4 seasons as a pro while Peterman doesn't even have a full game as a starter after the pull in LA and his concussion in the Indy snow game.    Experience is an overrated factor as a consideration in this particular case.

With regard to pass pro, they will have to game plan and scheme for OL deficiencies irrespective of who the starting QB is.

I would say that experience is at the very least, somewhat meaningful. 

In regards to Allen and his experience, “you don’t know what you don’t know”. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Players play. 

I was fine with Allen sitting when we thought he would be a huge project, but now it's become obvious that he is farther along than many thought. That being said, I think you help your offense by putting him out there. 

I can see a case for sitting as well for a spell as starting the season in a learn by doing scenario.  We'll see what McDermott and company decide. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I wanted to start the season with Allen, but let Peterman get killed behind that porous oline first.    We need to learn to block before we ruin a young QB. 

I don't want to see either Nate or Josh have to take the inevitable beating that lies ahead.  AJ didn't play enough to showcase him in a trade. Daboll's primary focus has to be finding the best oline combo, even if it means dumpster diving next week. JA & NP are the future of this organization. Tell the guys up front protect them with your lives...

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this analysis.  I think it's an accurate assessment of where Allen is.  

I disagree with conclusion.  The assessment establishes that Allen WILL be the best qb of the three, but it ignores the fact that Peterman has been consistently more effective.  Peterman gives the Bills a better chance to win the next game, preseason or not.  Until Allen can be consistently more effective, Peterman should play.

Will I be upset if McD goes with Allen?  Not at all.  He is close enough, and as the article suggests, he will learn a lot if he is playing.  I'd guess that if Allen starts, it will take him only half the season to catch up pass Peterman.  

But if you want to beat Baltimore, I'd start Peterman. 

Good stuff.  You make the opposite argument and it make sense.  

I think Allen has been slow to get the ball out and Peterman hasn't.  Allen will learn, probably, but until he does, being slow to get ball out means he will be sacked a lot.  Sacks kill drives, and dead drives mean no points.  That's why I like Peterman for now.

Maybe we will see something different on Thursday.  

Thanks and like you I won't be upset if Peterman starts, and if he does, I will be cheering hard for him.  My lack of confidence in him is not a dislike in him, I would love for him to start and show me that he can beat starting defenses consistently and use the field more effectively than I believe he can.  Because if he can't he will be too easy to game plan for and take away what he is better at.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would say that experience is at the very least, somewhat meaningful. 

In regards to Allen and his experience, “you don’t know what you don’t know”. 

Can't argue your point, but I do think it's minimized given the competitors.  

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't want to see either Nate or Josh have to take the inevitable beating that lies ahead.  AJ didn't play enough to showcase him in a trade. Daboll's primary focus has to be finding the best oline combo, even if it means dumpster diving next week. JA & NP are the future of this organization. Tell the guys up front protect them with your lives...

I wouldn't trade McCarron.   I'd keep all 3 QBs, we will need them until we figure out how to pass block.   I don't want to be a heartbeat away from Logan Thomas taking snaps at QB because both or guys are out with concussions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I wouldn't trade McCarron.   I'd keep all 3 QBs, we will need them until we figure out how to pass block.   I don't want to be a heartbeat away from Logan Thomas taking snaps at QB because both or guys are out with concussions.  

I'd be surprised if all three were active on game days. 

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah. Its just hard to know what's causing everything.  Apparently Allen was holding the ball because he wasn't getting out of the huddle fasten enough to give him time to look over the defense. If that's an Allen problem, and Peterman does it better, that's a big difference.  

The point is that rookies have a lot to learn to do just the basics, and if Allen isn't over that threshold, he just won't be able to produce very well. 

Rookie qbs lead the league in sacks every year.  They just can't handle all that's on their plate.  Allen looks close - I like his poise especially, but as long as he's killing drives like he did Sunday, he isn't likely to win games.

In regards to the above, the first point is easily correctable imo and wasnt an issue the previous games, so I think that shouldnt be a problem going forward.

The second point is obviously for the coaches to determine, but to me he seemed alright, some plays and inconsistency but thats a rookie thing that he can only get down by repetition in game situations.

Third point - like you said Allen appears to be close. In my opinion, the best learning he can do going forward is on the job, with real live bullets flying. Now I am not saying he should start necessarily game 1 (it may help him to see how to prepare and dissect the non vanilla schemes for a couple weeks) but I would rather get the rookie his lumps sooner this year so we do not have to go through it next year

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's true so you normally don't have 3 active QBs on gameday but they never brought in a 4th QB, you know the one they stash on the practice squad and call up if something happens.  

I remember the snow game when Peterman went out I believe our punt returner was in there throwing touchdowns.  I don't want that.   

The one nice thing with starting Peterman is that if he lays an egg and you have to pull him it isn't too big a deal. You actually kinda look like the good guy for giving him a shot when he worked so hard. With Allen, if you start him you're pretty much stuck with him and if you do pull him there is instant bust talk. 

If Allen starts right away, we better start scouting qbs.  He was never ready to start and some of you got overhyped about work against 3rd stringers.  He will be atrocious and even his biggest fans will struggle to make excuses for him.  He needs to wait while our extremely average career backups get feed to the wolves.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But we need that spot for our extra kicker or punter! ?

Peterman has to start week 1-3 and maybe even 4 since its on the road. His quick release mixed with this horrible o-line will prevent Josh Allen from taking a beating against Ravens, Chargers, and Vikings defense. Let Josh step in week 5 against the Titans at home. Hopefully we'll have our ish figured out a bit more and can then take over from there. 

1. Peterman gets revenge against the Chargers.. throws 5 TDs in first half...jk 

2. Allen can then play against Texans week 6 which I can see him throw a bomb in person.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. He never once faced a true first team defense.  He had one drive in the first preseason game that was good, but it was so vanilla it made our OL look solid.  It wasnt against the full starting D nor was there even a gameplay, not to mention KB was FIRED up with it being CAR and the Cam incident.  Very next drive he turns the ball over on 2nd pass.  His TD to KB was a beautiful throw, I will give him that

This fact has not prevented many posters from claiming he has excelled against "1's, 2's and 3's".... or even "he has played well against other teams 1's in every game".

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Huge difference between preseason and regular season with the QoC, speed of the game, complexity of coverage and pass rush games such as zone blitzes, twists, and stunts.  Peterman will be easier to game plan against given the limitations in his game.   

We'll see what the coaching staff decides. Either way it's Go Bills!

This is where I am too. The speed and intensity picks up when the regular season starts. I'm not sure that Peterman can hack it once the defense starts game planning for him.

Step 1 in their gameplan will be to crowd the box to account for Shady, jam the receivers and make Peterman beat you deep. And I doubt he can do that consistantly. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DtownB2 said:

Peterman has to start week 1-3 and maybe even 4 since its on the road. His quick release mixed with this horrible o-line will prevent Josh Allen from taking a beating against Ravens, Chargers, and Vikings defense. Let Josh step in week 5 against the Titans at home. Hopefully we'll have our ish figured out a bit more and can then take over from there. 

1. Peterman gets revenge against the Chargers.. throws 5 TDs in first half...jk 

2. Allen can then play against Texans week 6 which I can see him throw a bomb in person.

There will be another conspiracy with Bosa recorded saying "he didn't even try to block me"  :)