Cover 1: Aaron Quinn's "Closing Arguments" Case for Starting Allen

orvlosky and Riddick were just talking about our situation on NFL Live. they basically said the exact same thing that's being repeated around here over and over again. that there has been some really good and some bad and that right now putting him in behind this line might be the worst thing for him. finished by saying the team really just isn't set up for a young guy to come in and grow and play well.

I don't like it but its hard to argue against it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Why should Peterman start over McCarron?

Because he has completely outplayed him this preseason!  What has AJ done to prove he should start?  Win titles on loaded Alabama teams?

and the record, they are basically the same, backup type player to me.  But as limited as he is, Peterman earned the job.  If you want to show preseason isn’t a total joke, he is your starter.

29 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I wouldn't trade McCarron.   I'd keep all 3 QBs, we will need them until we figure out how to pass block.   I don't want to be a heartbeat away from Logan Thomas taking snaps at QB because both or guys are out with concussions.  

Reactions from the fans differ when comparing McCarron's half of preseason football to Allens half of preseason football behind the same bad Oline.  

All QB's need protection.

Edited by Figster

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

orvlosky and Riddick were just talking about our situation on NFL Live. they basically said the exact same thing that's being repeated around here over and over again. that there has been some really good and some bad and that right now putting him in behind this line might be the worst thing for him. finished by saying the team really just isn't set up for a young guy to come in and grow and play well.

I don't like it but its hard to argue against it.

Haha, I just saw this.  Great line is more qbs are ruined than made.  Allen was a project to begin with.  Forcing him to play now would just be completely ruining him.  Of course, the Bills are masters at ruining qbs. 

28 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I wouldn't trade McCarron.   I'd keep all 3 QBs, we will need them until we figure out how to pass block.   I don't want to be a heartbeat away from Logan Thomas taking snaps at QB because both or guys are out with concussions.  

Does AJ have any trade value?  He was sitting on the open market and wasn’t exactly a hot commodity.  This preseason didn’t help his value.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, I just saw this.  Great line is more qbs are ruined than made.  Allen was a project to begin with.  Forcing him to play now would just be completely ruining him.  Of course, the Bills are masters at ruining qbs. 

How many have McDermott and Beane ruined?   Are they responsible for the past? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because he has completely outplayed him this preseason!  What has AJ done to prove he should start?  Win titles on loaded Alabama teams?

and the record, they are basically the same, backup type player to me.  But as limited as he is, Peterman earned the job.  If you want to show preseason isn’t a total joke, he is your starter.

Pre-season is largely meaningless. McCarron has more experience and has been successful in big games. He has a stronger arm too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

well..... we don't know that for sure. i'm not nearly as low on him as you've made known for yourself. if he does get the nod(I don't think he does), then i think its because the coaches tried putting him in an exposed environment sunday and are confident they can gameplan against that going forward.

with that being said. I really don't think he's starting. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Does AJ have any trade value?  He was sitting on the open market and wasn’t exactly a hot commodity.  This preseason didn’t help his value.

I wouldn't say he has any value at the moment.  He's probably our 3rd string QB right now and he's making 5 mil this year so yeah unless something severe happens and some team gets desperate I would not think he has any trade value.

And if a team did get desperate I would think Bridgewater would be a much hotter trade commodity than McCarron. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How many have McDermott and Beane ruined?   Are they responsible for the past? 

Of course not.   But how many have they helped?  They screwed over Tyrod and made Peterman a punchline.  They took the biggest risk of all the high profile qbs.  

I want to blindly believe but I wish we had better guys than Daboll and a former receiver coach as his mentors. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s simple, if they are comfortable starting Allen then create a game plan with a heavy running game, some short stuff and the occasional play action bomb. That’s all they have to do if they want him under center.

I’d have a hard time believing that scenario would give the Bills any less of a chance than it would with one of the other bozos out there. Executing a limited game plan would be better experience than sitting on the bench behind two guys that don’t know what the hell they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Pre-season is largely meaningless. McCarron has more experience and has been successful in big games. He has a stronger arm too.

Unfortunately, we aren’t playing Vanderbilt this year. 

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well..... we don't know that for sure. i'm not nearly as low on him as you've made known for yourself. if he does get the nod(I don't think he does), then i think its because the coaches tried putting him in an exposed environment sunday and are confident they can gameplan against that going forward.

with that being said. I really don't think he's starting. 

I don’t know the future.  I just wonder how many of these raw, “upside” qbs are rarely successful if forced to play right away.  

Do do you know some examples of some raw qbs that started right away and were successful?

Of course not.   But how many have they helped?  They screwed over Tyrod and made Peterman a punchline.  They took the biggest risk of all the high profile qbs.  

I want to blindly believe but I wish we had better guys than Daboll and a former receiver coach as his mentors. 

What's done is done.  You don't have to blindly believe, but you'd have to be blind to not see the progress that Allen has made in a very short period of time.  Credit to Jordan Palmer, Daboll, and Culley for that.  

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s simple, if they are comfortable starting Allen then create a game plan with a heavy running game, some short stuff and the occasional play action bomb. That’s all they have to do if they want him under center.

I’d have a hard time believing that scenario would give the Bills any less of a chance than it would with one of the other bozos out there. Executing a limited game plan would be better experience than sitting on the bench behind two guys that don’t know what the hell they are doing.

That is pretty much our gameplan no matter who the qb is, no matter what year.  

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Reactions from the fans differ when comparing McCarron's half of preseason football to Allens half of preseason football behind the same bad Oline.  

All QB's need protection.

I don't think it matters much who is back there with that protection but you can't go into  a season with an oline that bad with only 2 QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

What's done is done.  You don't have to blindly believe, but you'd have to be blind to not see the progress that Allen has made in a very short period of time.  Credit to Jordan Palmer, Daboll, and Culley for that.  

Trust me, I want to believe.  I also say that when the game speeds up against better talent, bad habits that over.  That’s why these type of qbs are so different.  They work hard to change habits they have done most of their life.  But when the bullets start flying, the bad habits creep back.  

Its just more reason for him to sit and watch. 

From Matthew Fairburn - The Athletic

Fairburn: On Nathan Peterman, AJ McCarron and the Buffalo...

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — When Sean McDermott addressed the media on Monday afternoon, less than two weeks before the Buffalo Bills’ first regular season game, he still hadn’t come to a decision on the team’s starting quarterback.

A day earlier, the Bills played their third preseason game. In the loss to the Bengals, rookie Josh Allen started and completed just six of his 12 passes for 34 yards while under constant pressure that resulted in five sacks and eight hits. Now Allen, Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron have all gotten a chance to start a preseason game. The fourth preseason game won’t likely factor into the final decision, but the Bills are still undecided on who will be under center against the Ravens in Week 1.

“We’re still coming off the game and going through and processing all of that information right now,” McDermott said.

All of the information seems to be pointing to Peterman, who has completed 80 percent of his passes for 431 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions this preseason while playing with first, second and third-stringers. If this is a true competition, Peterman has done nothing to lose the job.

“The decision is not up to me,” Peterman said. “I’ve definitely put my best effort out there.”

Is that going to be good enough or will the Bills decide the future is now and roll with Allen? Nobody is pretending Peterman is the future of the franchise. If he were, the Bills wouldn’t have been so aggressive in moving up to draft Allen. There’s an argument to be made that the Bills should start Allen from day one because he is the future and he is the team’s most talented passer. If this a true competition, though, it’s tough to poke holes in what Peterman has done.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Peterman is named starter.  What happens when he throws more pick 6's then TDs?  By halftime week 1 do you do what Houston did with Watson?  Going to Peterman is delaying Allen what 2 or 3 weeks.  Just give him the reps and let him improve and learn from his mistakes.  He showed vs Cincy under pressure he will not be sloppy with the football.  Under a similar scenerio last year Peterman had the worst half by any Qb in 40 years.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Those are the last big games AJ has played in.  He was part of the reason a stacked Bengals team lost their first playoff game.

The one Burfict lost his mind and Joey Porter instigated a fight in the middle of the field during a timeout?    That game was lost with very little of it being on the QB.   Cincy had no composure and the Steelers used every underhanded trick in the book.    

Those are the last big games AJ has played in.  He was part of the reason a stacked Bengals team lost their first playoff game.

So McCarron's only big game was against Vandebilt? Hahaha.

The Bengals lost the playoff game to the Steelers because of a fumble and two stupid personal fouls during the same play.

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A J had the game won , but the D couldn't close the deal if I remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

The one Burfict lost his mind and Joey Porter instigated a fight in the middle of the field during a timeout?    That game was lost with very little of it being on the QB.   Cincy had no composure and the Steelers used every underhanded trick in the book.    

Never said he was the whole reason but he had a 68 qb rating and the Bengals put up 16 points.  When Dalton got hurt, they were possibly the best team in the nfl and he was a MVP candidate. 

Just now, Figster said:

A J had the game won , but the D couldn't close the deal if I remember correctly.

Is this how like RJ “won” the music city miracle?  AJ had a 68 QBs rating in that game.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaA.00/gamelog/post/

Just now, Figster said:

McCarron can make all the throws.

Peterman has limitations IMO.

I think they are both very average but how much strong is AJ’s arm?  Both have below average starting qb arms.  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Never said he was the whole reason but he had a 68 qb rating and the Bengals put up 16 points.  When Dalton got hurt, they were possibly the best team in the nfl and he was a MVP candidate. 

That game should have gotten Marvin Lewis fired.   

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Bengals vs Steelers: AJ McCarron impresses with fourth quarter performance

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/10/10745472/bengals-vs-steelers-aj-mccarron-impresses-with-fourth-quarter

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They win that game with Dalton. 

I disagree.   Dalton hasn't won any playoff games either.   And they have been plenty of times with him at the helm. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

57 passer rating in the playoffs 

Edited by Soda Popinski

I think the clear choice to start the season is Peterman. This preseason he has an 80% completion percentage, 3 TDs, 1 Int, and a 124.7 QB rating. Those numbers alone warrant him to start. I want Allen to be the man as much as anyone but there is no arguing these statistics. Each QB on the roster has had a chance to start and has been given an equal amount of preseason reps so these statistics are comparable. Plus Peterman has the release to handle a shaky oline, while the game has not slowed down enough for Allen yet. I think this is a clear choice. Peterman may not pan out but his stats clearly show that he deserves to start Week 1.  

Just now, KauaiBillsRascals said:

I think the clear choice to start the season is Peterman. This preseason he has an 80% completion percentage, 3 TDs, 1 Int, and a 124.7 QB rating. Those numbers alone warrant him to start. I want Allen to be the man as much as anyone but there is no arguing these statistics. Each QB on the roster has had a chance to start and has been given an equal amount of preseason reps so these statistics are comparable. Plus Peterman has the release to handle a shaky oline, while the game has not slowed down enough for Allen yet. I think this is a clear choice. Peterman may not pan out but his stats clearly show that he deserves to start Week 1.  

Do you actually think those numbers realistically translate to regular season football?

• Like (+1) 1