Every Josh Allen snap in Bengals Preseason Game 3

cd1

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:
5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

5th dropback--There's no all-22 for preseason or anything, but something causes Allen to hold back and not throw the out to Benjamin, looks like he should've thrown it. Was there a Safety or LB right there? I can't tell. Bad throw to Clay that shoulda been a TD. Uncharacteristic throw there. This play was definitely on Allen.

Actually, it was pretty characteristic of what we've seen so faR.  Correct me if I'm wrong But I don't think he's completed a long pass yet.

Actually, josh made that throw with BOTH feet off of the ground. 

It’s mostly the interior line! Atkins is a beast for sure but man we are missing Ritchie and E. Wood. Especially Woods leadership. To start or not start Allen. He didn’t look bad for a Qb under a lot of pressure. 

Is is it really going to make a difference? With this line Peterman won’t make it through the first 2 games anyway!!!

Sometimes when the play clock got a little low and I couldn't really dissect what they were doing and understanding what they were doing, it's tough on a quarterback."

Josh realized he was taking too long to set up and holding the ball too long. 

Step 1 admit your mistakes and learn from them. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Growing pains are good if you learn from them. Josh Allen still has work to do before snap with recognition. He's a smart kid so I hope it comes but he's gotta be quicker. Especially with this horrific OL. 

It'll be nice if we actually invest some resources in our OL.

I'm fully aboard drafting Trey Adams in the 1st next year. Think we'll pick high enough where he's going to be there. A Taylor Lewan clone and we won't have to worry about the LT position for the next decade. Also allows us to kick Dion Dawkins in at LG so you're upgrading the left side of your line fairly easily.

10 hours ago, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

Did anyone notice on the bullet overthrow on the left sideline, that if the first receiver didn't hit the ball with his hand, the ball might have been a perfect strike to Benjamin?  I wonder if that was his intended target?  Maybe someone will have a clip of that throw?  Just an observation.

Yeah, I mentioned this on page 3.  Although I said/thought that another Bills WR got his hand on it when the DB actually did. 

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Actually, josh made that throw with BOTH feet off of the ground. 

His footwork has improved a lot since college but that throw was a definitely the Wyoming Josh Allen rearing its ugly head again. I think he was nervous and with everything going so poorly he started to panic. Maybe it's good he got that out of his system now. Next time he's on the field they need to throw in some easy completions to build his confidence. Preferably to someone other than Clay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I do feel better after watching this.  Going through the plays, I counted 8 passing plays where he made good decisions and should be considered good qb play.  I counted 2 where he did not, and 7 where he simply had no chance at all.  On two plays you could argue that he held the ball too long, but linemen were right in his face and at best they would have been batted down.  You could also argue that he was protecting the ball.  All in all, I'm not sure you could take a whole lot out of the performance.  

I feel comfortable with either Allen or Peterman at this point.  I trust the process.  

22 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The announcers most certainly did not say every sack was a coverage sack.  Are you really telling me that there were NO open receivers all half?  That's gotta be an NFL record. 

He played mostly out of the gun all game too. The game was in front of him.  Its not like he finished his drop and had free rushers in his face.  4 out of 5 sacks were in shotgun formation.

Allen threw for 34 yards and was sacked for 39 lost yards.  That's negative 5 yards passing for you math wizards and advanced stats guys.  I'd like to write it off entirely on poor line play but its the worst half of QB play I've witnessed since our likely starter tossed 5 INTs against the Bolts. 

You need to watch more games slick. So McCarron gets a pass for his crappy game because he got hurt?  An if you couldn't tell, the Bengals defense was quicker and better than the Browns. By a far shot. And you didn't read about the coach experimenting with linemen and play calling? It is obvious there was blame to go around, I say 1/3 of it was Allens. You blame it all on Allen like a hater would. Wait and watch when Peterman starts the 1st game. If the offense doesn't play better he goes down in flames like the other 2 qbs did. Why is it you can't see the big picture? I think Allen is the best qb, but would rather see NP get the start. NP has played well, but he isn't the answer. It is bad enough the national press goes after Allen, but when our own uneducated or biased fan base overlooks what happened with our offense in the Bengal game to justify their own wants, I can't support them as real fans to want our new qb to fail.

10 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

You need to watch more games slick. So McCarron gets a pass for his crappy game because he got hurt?  An if you couldn't tell, the Bengals defense was quicker and better than the Browns. By a far shot. And you didn't read about the coach experimenting with linemen and play calling? It is obvious there was blame to go around, I say 1/3 of it was Allens. You blame it all on Allen like a hater would. Wait and watch when Peterman starts the 1st game. If the offense doesn't play better he goes down in flames like the other 2 qbs did. Why is it you can't see the big picture? I think Allen is the best qb, but would rather see NP get the start. NP has played well, but he isn't the answer. It is bad enough the national press goes after Allen, but when our own uneducated or biased fan base overlooks what happened with our offense in the Bengal game to justify their own wants, I can't support them as real fans to want our new qb to fail.

When did I mention McCarron, the Browns, or assign 100% blame to Allen? I want NP to start?!?! That is certainly news to me.  Rooting for Allen to fail?!?!  This just gets better and better. 

Conversations are lot easier when you respond to what I've written rather than go all 'Leave Britney Alone!!!'. 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:44 PM, Jauronimo said:

When did I mention McCarron, the Browns, or assign 100% blame to Allen? I want NP to start?!?! That is certainly news to me.  Rooting for Allen to fail?!?!  This just gets better and better. 

Conversations are lot easier when you respond to what I've written rather than go all 'Leave Britney Alone!!!'. 

The pot calling the kettle black. You have a whaked way of seeing what goes on during a preseason. Next thing ya know you will say Obama is still El presidente. If ya can't beat em' , baffle them with bull$#'!. Nice try though.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:34 AM, HappyDays said:

His footwork has improved a lot since college but that throw was a definitely the Wyoming Josh Allen rearing its ugly head again. I think he was nervous and with everything going so poorly he started to panic. Maybe it's good he got that out of his system now. Next time he's on the field they need to throw in some easy completions to build his confidence. Preferably to someone other than Clay.

On one play he should have planted his feet. The rest of the throws you are talking about he didn't have time. Did you really want him to try and take the time to set his feet, the lack of time he had? Half kidding, half not.

Had not seen the first half until today. This is my take after watching this. Josh Allen Haters have not got a clue. He did extremely well with that line and the lack of production from his WR's. IMHO, Sunday did not cause him to loose the job.

18 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

they should just stick Redman, Teller, and Wesley in to start this fourth game.  cant be worse.  at the least, it lights a fire.

Traditionally, the fourth preseason game is where those players that have NOT secured a place on the roster are played.

If we have players that need a fire lit at this point - start those players in PS4 then BOOT their AZZes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Traditionally, the fourth preseason game is where those players that have NOT secured a place on the roster are played.

If we have players that need a fire lit at this point - start those players in PS4 then BOOT their AZZes.

Traditionally.  

With 3 QB’s w/o extensive experience tradition goes away

7 minutes ago, cd1 said:

I'm saying to start them.  put Duke, the centers, and Miller on the bench, till the second half.    send a message. and honestly, see what the young guys can do. the current BS is going to get someone killed.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Traditionally.  

With 3 QB’s w/o extensive experience tradition goes away

I was responding to a post regarding our O Line...

On 8/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, cd1 said:

Well, that was gruesome.

I do see a couple sacks where Allen held the ball too long, but without all-22, I can't tell if they were coverage sacks, play design, or on Allen.

I don't know why McD didn't challenge that 1st down run, unless that was something they told Allen not to do so they didn't want to reward it?  Seems dumb.  I would have liked to see the drive extended.

Clay needs to learn where the first down marker is and @#$%ing try for it.  Sheesh.

Allen should have been 8/12 (2 drops real NFL WR/TE got to catch) including  2 throw-aways, which is 67% completion and not bad for a rook under that kind of pressure.  He had a couple nice throws.

I would have liked to see Allen make that shot downfield on the 5th play, where he didn't set and underthrew.  That's the kind of thing where they've been working with him on footwork.  He was probably "hearing footsteps" at that point after 2 bad sacks.

While far from the only problem, initially the middle of the line seemed OK (maybe?) and it was the LT who was getting beat like a scrambled egg.  It was only later (after they were switching OLmen around?) that the middle became porous.   Perhaps if the initial configuration of the middle is indeed a bit more competent, and Dawkins a big upgrade at LT, the line may not be the complete clusterf*** it appears.  Or perhaps I'm suffering a Hopeful flashback.

Marshall Newhouse appears to be a turnstile at LT and does NOT bring the nasty.  He gets pwned - hurdled - on the very first play.  No NFL OLman should allow that, the other player should be rolling around clutching his parts.  Mills, on the other end of the line, is worse.  when (Bengals player whose number I can't see) jumps up like he does on Allen's scramble, the next step should be (Bengals player whose number I can't see) lying on the ground grunting for air from a hard hit in the solar plexus, not standing up, putting a little choke hug on Mills, then running free.  Wood should give Mills a little explanation of how it's done.

I couldn't see before that play started with Newhouse getting manhandled back into Allen - if Allen weren't so athletic, he woulda gone down at the start of the play.  Look at 2:18, I think Newhouse's feet bracket Allens at a point where he's barely taken the snap.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:46 PM, Doc said:

He should have been 8/12 for at least 70 yards.  And I still have no idea why McD didn't challenge that scramble he had, as he got the 1st down.

Concur on both points.