Cowboys' Center Travis Frederick Diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome - Placed on IR

Travis Frederick diagnosed with autoimmune disease

The Dallas Cowboys escaped a recent injury scare with All-Pro guard Zack Martin. They won't be as fortunate with the anchor of their celebrated offensive line.

Veteran center Travis Frederick announced Wednesday he has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disorder in which the immune system attacks the body's nervous system in response to illness.

DlPbDxtVsAAOFnA.jpg

This is the same thing that Bills' FB Booker Moore was afflicted with. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Cowboys' Center Travis Frederick Diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome

I had GBS when i was a softmore in high school.  A scary ride for a 15 yr old and my family. weak, semi paralyzed, could not walk, breathe right or swallow anything without choking.  taken to kenmore mercy, sent to the icu with a respirator and feeding tube for 2 weeks.  lost 40 lbs.  stayed in the hospital an additional 2 weeks.  they said it was literally a miracle that i was in the hospital for only a month.  

the day i was admitted a young man was discharged after being hospitalized for a year.  

i never felt the same athletically after that, strength, reflexes, etc.  

i pray for travis and his family.  

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

My daughter contracted GBS two years ago, a very scary disease, although treatable, and sounds like they caught it early, that young man will have a lot of work and physical therapy to do to recover. Hopefully it all goes well for him 

How’s she doing, if you don’t mind me asking?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

My daughter contracted GBS two years ago, a very scary disease, although treatable, and sounds like they caught it early, that young man will have a lot of work and physical therapy to do to recover. Hopefully it all goes well for him 

Hope she's doing better!

It's a scary condition.

If it's caught early there are very few, if any, longer-term symptoms, but the initial recovery is a bear.

I've treated a couple of patients with it, it's pretty rare.

Lots of balance, core and general body conditioning during the recovery.

Edited by SouthNYfan
  • Like (+1) 1

I barely survived a GBS attack in 2001.  Before we were able to stop it, it had paralyzed my legs and arms.  For the last 17 years I've lived with its chronic cousin, CIDP.  I was able to rehab back to where I live a normal life today but I have significant nerve damage in my feet, especially my toes.  Without orthotics, I have significant foot drop in both feet.   You have to stay reasonably fit to avoid muscle atrophy.  Have to keep your muscles in good shape.  The nearly two decades of drugs has taken a significant toll on my body (lost all my hair, have several food allergies, have weird proteins in my blood).  According to my neurologist, I've had one of the better outcomes from it long term. 

Although the government and the medical community can't shake their head to the side hard enough, GBS attacked in the weeks after getting my one and only flu shot.  I'm no anti-vaxer but those flu shots are dangerous.  The flu won't do what GBS has done.  

The good news for Travis Frederick is modern medicine has made great gains in understanding and treating the condition.  There are more doctors who know what they are talking about with GBS and CIDP and the front line medications are quite good (steroids, IVIG, plasma exchange, other chemotherapy agents).  He also has age on his side too, along with hopefully good health insurance.   If he caught it early, perhaps the damage can be contained.  When you go to the support groups, you can tell that the younger ones do better than the older ones.  The condition sucks but the drugs too, come with consequences.  

The bad news is his football career is more than likely over.  You're never "fully" cured of GBS or CIDP and it usually attacks the parts of the body he needs (feet, hands) to play - the worst. Relapses are always possible and the medications to treat it aren't conducive to a career as a lineman in the NFL.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Although the government and the medical community can't shake their head to the side hard enough, GBS attacked in the weeks after getting my one and only flu shot.  I'm no anti-vaxer but those flu shots are dangerous.  The flu won't do what GBS has done.  

So many scary stories like yours.

I'm no anti-vaxer since I got one willingly, Twinrix, for Hepatitis A. I got so damn tired for 10 days in a row. Then after a week of relapse another 2 full weeks. Written like that it doesn't sound so bad but while it was happening you have no way to know how long it will last - and I was 100% healthy before! One cold in 4 years. I read on forums of tons of people getting sick (as in sick AND tired) from it. I was supposed to get 3 shots, HELL NO. And I read about a lawsuit against them for that. And at the same time, my kids' school sent a flyer about kids getting Twinrix... mentioning in one seemingly unrelated paragraph that there is no proven link between Twinrix and chronic fatigue syndrome! WTH

I lost all my trust in the system that was fairly low already. Nobody listens, it's all "coincidences". A doctor did call me, but then I realized it would all go in a private file! No stats, no public data, nothing. All under the rug. Crazy. How you base your recommendations on data if the data is false? 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

How’s she doing, if you don’t mind me asking?

She great and back to normal, thanks. It took her two months in the hospital, another month of out patient physical therapy and another 3 months to get her muscle strength back and for the nerve pain to finally go away. So it's a long process and she was young and active and bounced back quicker than many.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1