Star Lotulelei: Where is the Impact?

2 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

Nice job Beane 10 mil per. 30 guaranteed  is the team going to eat that next season? 

Your Carolina guy sucks. .

dear God it was that much?????????? --when will Bills fan have enough. ???---never--they get fooled every yr. into buying tickets.

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Everything looked better in the second half. I’d like to see how Star did in the 3rd and 4th quarters vs the rest of the season. He hasn’t been an impact player yet, I will give you that. D tackles usually aren’t . 

They Usually get a tackle or two after two games though. Just saying 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

Has anyone really run up the middle on us?   Right now I’d challenge our OLB’s and edge support 

So overpaid for a space eater because he is from your old organization. So replaced bad contract (Dareus, who actually did more) with a Bad Contract (Star). Progress 

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Exactly, they created a need in order to free up space in the future.

Then they went and wasted 30m on that self created need and wasted some of the "precious" cap space. It just compounds.

The only logical defense of the Dareus move is if Dareus was a huge problem in the locker room. On paper it looked like we got out from under one inflated DT contract to then get into another one. 

31 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Some Bills fans never listen, everything the Bills do is a "great move"...  This FO looks to be garbage when picking up free agents. They trade away the talented players, and pick up guys who quite at half time.

It's the opposite of the Whaley regime. McBeane is good at drafting but so far his pro-personnel decisions have been pretty bad, whereas with Whaley it was literally the exact opposite. McBeane's best free agency decision be a kicker. I know they have been pretty cap strapped the past two off-seasons but with the limited moves they have made its been more bad decisions than good ones at least so far. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

It's the opposite of the Whaley regime. McBeane is good at drafting but so far his pro-personnel decisions have been pretty bad, whereas with Whaley it was literally the exact opposite. McBeane's best free agency decision be a kicker. I know they have been pretty cap strapped the past two off-seasons but with the limited moves they have made its been more bad decisions than good ones at least so far. 

It's too bad we can't bring in Whaley's pro personnel department and get rid of Beane's.  Let Beane handle the drafts since he seems to be good at it, though we won't know his hits and misses for several years.

Knowing we'll have a lot of cap space next year, and Beane bringing in FA's (which he hasn't done a great job with so far), I don't know if I should be optimistic or terrified.

The impact of trading Dareus and signing Lotulelei to replace him on their salary cap has been tremendous.

2 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Star is hoping to get his first tackle soon......stay tuned.    Beane is a moron.

Well, at least he didn't quit at halftime.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's too bad we can't bring in Whaley's pro personnel department and get rid of Beane's.  Let Beane handle the drafts since he seems to be good at it, though we won't know his hits and misses for several years.

Knowing we'll have a lot of cap space next year, and Beane bringing in FA's (which he hasn't done a great job with so far), I don't know if I should be optimistic or terrified.

I am going to defend Beane's pro-personnel a little bit. Beane never really had a lot of cap space to work with in either off-season of 2017 or 2018. Whaley did saddle the team with a lot of contracts some worth it others not. But in the limited amount of contract McBeane has handed out there are more negative than positive moves. Just for simplicity sake looking at the past 2 off-seasons worth of moves it isn't a great resume. 

Positive 

Hyde, Poyer, and Hauschka.

Negative

Star (A bit too soon, not looking too hot), Holmes, DiMarco, Vlad, Ryan Davis, Bodine, Newhouse, and Vontae

Neutral/too soon to tell

Trent Murphy and Chris Ivory. 

Now granted a lot of those signings like Holmes, Bodine, Newhouse, Dimarco, Poyer, Haush, and Vlad were sub 3 million dollar contracts. So its hard to say how they are doing on "Big Ticket" items when they are 50/50 on such signings (Hit on Hyde and miss on Star so far.) 

All in all it looks like the smaller and mid level signings aren't that great while the larger signing just simply haven't happened that often. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I am going to defend Beane's pro-personnel a little bit. Beane never really had a lot of cap space to work with in either off-season of 2017 or 2018. Whaley did saddle the team with a lot of contracts some worth it others not. But in the limited amount of contract McBeane has handed out there are more negative than positive moves. Just for simplicity sake looking at the past 2 off-seasons worth of moves it isn't a great resume. 

Positive 

Negative

Star (A bit too soon, not looking too hot), Holmes, DiMarco, Vlad, Ryan Davis, Bodine, Newhouse, and Vontae

Neutral/too soon to tell

Now granted a lot of those signings like Holmes, Bodine, Newhouse, Dimarco, Poyer, Haush, and Vlad were sub 3 million dollar contracts. So its hard to say how they are doing on "Big Ticket" items when they are 50/50 on such signings (Hit on Hyde and miss on Star so far.) 

All in all it looks like the smaller and mid level signings aren't that great while the larger signing just simply haven't happened that often. 

Hyde, Poyer and Hauschka were not signed by Beane. So that's a little problematic.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would classify them as being signed by McD who is making a lot of the decisions with Beane. For simplicity sake I just looked at the past two off-seasons. 

So when evaluating Beane and his department, we give him credit for decisions that McDermott made while Whaley and his staff were there? That would certainly help his record I guess.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The only logical defense of the Dareus move is if Dareus was a huge problem in the locker room. On paper it looked like we got out from under one inflated DT contract to then get into another one. 

Are they good at drafting? Let's really think about that one.

5 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Are they good at drafting? Let's really think about that one.

White, Dawkins, and Milano were good picks in 2017, Zay got off to a rough start but he has time to turn it around. Phillips, Edumonds and Allen the jury is still out but Phillips looks like a solid player and Edumonds and Allen are high upside players. Overall through 2 drafts I like their resumes so far in the draft. 

Just now, vincec said:

So when evaluating Beane, we give him credit for decisions that McDermott made while Whaley was GM? That would certainly help his record I guess.

I think it was clear that McD was calling the shots when Whaley was there. I think McD is still going to be a large part of personnel decisions going forward. Even if you factor out 2017 decisions from Beane he still has only made 2 contracts of over 5 million aav. Murphy and Star, now Murphy looks OK but not fantastic and Star isn't looking too hot. That's not exactly a large sample size to go off of.

Edited by billsfan89

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Positive 

Negative

Neutral/too soon to tell

I'm pretty sure Hyde poyer and hauschka were all here before Beane...