McDermott channeling the wise teaching of MC Hammer

ddaryl

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

MC Hammer doesn't get enough credit for his musical accomplishments imo. He was far from great but he helped bring hip hop to the mainstream.

I concur.  I don't think the entire genre takes off like it did without his work in the summer of 1990 and MTV there to broadcast it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Is the lesson spend all your money on swag and go bankrupt??

PROPAH!

If I had a dime for every time that has happened to me, I could go bankrupt again..

happens to a lot of younglings who hit it big. Big cars fast women and lots of nose candy

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

MC Hammer doesn't get enough credit for his musical accomplishments imo. He was far from great but he helped bring hip hop to the mainstream.

Nah, RUN DMC and Beastie Boys, amongst others, already did it way before  his candy-pop crap showed up.

Credit Rick Rubin for putting hard rock guitars over hip hop beats, brilliant move to attract the white suburban demographic. 

RUN DMC ‘Raising Hell’ went triple platinum in 1986, was the true game changer, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If you’re gonna give Hammer credit then you gotta give Vanilla Ice credit as well. He was cookin MCs like a pound of bacon 

9 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Nah, RUN DMC and Beastie Boys, amongst others, already did it way before  his candy-pop crap showed up.

Credit Rick Rubin for putting hard rock guitars over hip hop beats, brilliant move to attract the white suburban demographic. 

RUN DMC ‘Raising Hell’ went triple platinum in 1986, was the true game changer, IMO.

They were groundbreakers no doubt. But those two bands/groups are legendary and acclaimed across the board. Hammer is not - not even close.

And keep in mind - R-DMC and BB had only two Top 10 pop chart hits combined: Walk This Way (strongly helped by Aerosmith - was already a Top 10 hit a decade prior) and Fight For Your Right. Both are more rock songs than hip-hop.

Hammer alone had five Top 10 hits - three from one album.

7 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If you’re gonna give Hammer credit then you gotta give Vanilla Ice credit as well. He was cookin MCs like a pound of bacon 

This is a good point, they were both amongst the first wave of, for lack of a better term, “pre-fab” rappers looking to cash in on a sound. And yes, credit to them in regards to record sales and their timing, but that’s what pop music backed by huge labels will do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They were groundbreakers no doubt. But those two bands/groups are legendary and acclaimed across the board. Hammer is not - not even close.

And keep in mind - R-DMC and BB had only two Top 10 pop chart hits combined: Walk This Way (strongly helped by Aerosmith - was already a Top 10 hit a decade prior) and Fight For Your Right. Both are more rock songs than hip-hop.

Hammer alone had five Top 10 hits - three from one album.

Fair point re: charts, but just because something is mass consumed doesn’t automatically make it quality. That’s the ‘pop’ aspect, imo. Were they really good rap songs or were they safe enough songs to be mass consumed by suburbia?

There’s a reason Beasties and RUN DMC are legendary, they paid their dues and were innovative, THEN got wildly popular. Hammer was prepackaged and calculated. Again, can’t take away his success on the charts, but I for one cannot remember another song off that record besides ‘U Can’t Touch This’.

• Like (+1) 2