Can we afford to carry 3 active QB’s all season?

Virgil

There is only 1 cut down date (Sep 1) again this year.  A ton of QB's will be released at once and I don't see many teams salivating over Peterman.

He can clear waivers and be signed to PS if Beane and McDermott want to.

I think it comes down to the 53rd player and whether THAT guy would clear waivers or not.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Heres what I think.  Let me know what you think.

If McCaron/Peterman starts, I think we keep all 3.

If Allen starts, I would think Peterman is a goner.  McCaron would be your vet back up.

I don’t think the Bills want another scenario like in 2013 when we just had Manuel and Tuel to start the season....2 young and inexperienced QB’s.

I think that’s fair. I think that the Bills likely keep 3 this year. Some will depend on the separation at places like WR though. Say Phillips and Foster are battling for the last spot do they offer more value than Nate? That’s the kind of decision that they will have to make. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is only 1 cut down date (Sep 1) again this year.  A ton of QB's will be released at once and I don't see many teams salivating over Peterman.

He can clear waivers and be signed to PS if Beane and McDermott want to.

I think it comes down to the 53rd player and whether THAT guy would clear waivers or not.

How can that be?   He played great in the snow game last season and is now tearing it up with his improved velocity at Camp

Been saying I think they end up only keep 2 on the 53 and possibly getting Peterman to the PS. Does anyone think if they get down to their 3rd QB the Bills can't go dumpster diving and find someone serviceable? Hell the Bills were able to trade Chris White for Thad Lewis on the eve of the 2013 season, drop him and stash him on the PS, and he came in and went 2-3, which for a 3rd QB, is not bad.

Is it important to the have 3 QBs in the QB room? Sure but I don't think you need to have all 3 on the active roster. The only reason the Bills had 3 last year is the 3rd QB had a big role on ST. I think it's entirely possible to get Peterman onto the PS.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Less than half of the NFL teams carried more than 2 QBs last year. 

are those numbers active 53 AND PS?.......

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me ask it another way. Is it more likely that Peterman is cut or starting? 

...think he's PS eligible.....IF so, a poacher would have to add him to their active 53.....which may be a bit far fetched unless injury dire straits dictated otherwise....

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me ask it another way. Is it more likely that Peterman is cut or starting? 

It's an interesting question. As a "vet" what does he actually bring? He has 1 year in the league and is learning a brand new offense, just like the other 2 guys. So he doesn't really bring experience with the system and he doesn't bring years of experience and prep that McCarron does. Once the season starts, if he were the #2 and Allen the #3, he'd also be taking the limited amount of practice reps away from Allen, where Allen could be learning.

I'd say he's more likely to be cut than starting.

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

are those numbers active 53 AND PS?.......

...think he's PS eligible.....IF so, a poacher would have to add him to their active 53.....which may be a bit far fetched unless injury dire straits dictated otherwise....

That is just active roster. He is Ps eligible too.

If you just carry two QBs on the 53 man roster, you have to have a QB on the PS just so you have a person you can have on the active roster inside a week's notice who knows your playbood and offense.  I believe Peterman has PS eligibility. 

On 8/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, Pete said:

I think it is idiotic to keep less than 3 QBs on a roster.  It's the most important position.  What happens if a QB gets hurt?  Do you start second string and find a good QB midseason on the waiver wire?

I think that depends on how the QB’s develop. If Peterman continues to look like he did in San Diego, then yes, a waiver wire QB wouldn’t look like a terrible option if necessary.