If you were an opposing DC how would you play Bills personnel?

KingRex

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

He already is a QB

I'm skeptical to say to the least. I envy those of you who seem to have an endless supply of optimism.

As to the topic, it's an interesting thought because it gives you sort of an external, unbiased view of the situation. I think our limitations on offense are clear for this season. There is not a single true vertical threat in the passing game. We saw what happened both last season and in the past(say, 2011) when teams recognized they didn't have to respect you deep. They collapse the D and compress the field. This forces the offense to execute flawlessly in order to move the football. The acquisitions at receiver indicate that the staff values strength/size over speed. There's nothing wrong with prioritizing strength, but at some point they need to have a legitimate speed guy if any of these QB's and the offense are truly going to flourish.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm skeptical to say to the least. I envy those of you who seem to have an endless supply of optimism.

As to the topic, it's an interesting thought because it gives you sort of an external, unbiased view of the situation. I think our limitations on offense are clear for this season. There is not a single true vertical threat in the passing game. We saw what happened both last season and in the past(say, 2011) when teams recognized they didn't have to respect you deep. They collapse the D and compress the field. This forces the offense to execute flawlessly in order to move the football. The acquisitions at receiver indicate that the staff values strength/size over speed. There's nothing wrong with prioritizing strength, but at some point they need to have a legitimate speed guy if any of these QB's and the offense are truly going to flourish.

Where's my endless supply? Are you saying he's not a QB....because that is the position he's playing right now.

57 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Goal line defense

This actually worked really well on Madden unless your opponent had a good audible/hot route for it.  I remember people in middle school calling me a cheater for using it lol.  

I'd play a ton of single high safety man coverage as no one in the receiving corps is a burner.  I wouldn't necessarily stack the box too much unless I have mediocre linebackers - the d-line should be able to hold at the point of attack.  I'd probably show blitz a fair amount on 3rd down's to create pressure.  Other than that - make sure hands are up and the easy passing lanes are covered.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Thanks.

By the way I was being sarcastic in my last two posts. 

Sorry I should have clarified that. I just thought everyone would have known I was just messing around 

Sorry about that...I get angry too quickly sometimes....carry on...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KingRex said:

First off, looking at the personnel, my answer is that outside of Shady, none of them scare me so I play them straight-up (unless I have a clear weak player on my squad and force them to prove they can beat me.  If they do repeatedly or clearly then I might adjust.

Actually, even McCoy in no ways scares me like he did last year.  First off, last year's OL included a Pro Bowl quality vet center and though Incognito was one of the world's biggest jerks, this Pro Bowl quality G had tons of experience and pull like the best of 'em. 

I am watching closely as the new OC is an unknown wildcard, but even though the Bills have some interesting pieces to work with like vets Bodine or Ducasse or talented youngsters like Dawkins there not only is a clear talent downgrade on OL.  Even better for me as a DC, though its gonna take a few games before I have a sense of the Bills tendencies, its gonna take them a half season or so for the Bills to really learn their O and for the players to develop chemistry with each other.

I think I start by studying what Daboll seems to be doing on offense.  Four practices ain't a lot to go on yet.

Nice of folks to record the team parts of practice I don't think they're supposed to and post all the clips on Twitter so's to give opposing DCs more substrate.

Nice of you to predict it'll take the Bills half a season to learn the O.

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah, I'm playing the run and intermediate pass until the O proves it can go deep. Hopefully Dupree or Foster steps up as a deep threat.
I don't believe McCarron is going to be a threat with the deep passing game. I think we all know Allen can air it out.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

PFF rated him below average for what that’s worth. My impression is that he was steady but not spectacular. Did we really miss much when Groy replaced him?

It is my opinion that when Groy replaced wood we actually saw improvement in blocking.....even though it was in spurts

Which is why it is bizarre to me that they are even having a center competitition....Bodine should be backing him up

7 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Yeah, I'm playing the run and intermediate pass until the O proves it can go deep. Hopefully Dupree or Foster steps up as a deep threat.
I don't believe McCarron is going to be a threat with the deep passing game. I think we all know Allen can air it out.

McCarron has more deep game than most people think.  He doesn't have a lot of arm, but he's got enough for that.

One of the funniest Youtube clips ever is this pair of announcers covering a 'bama game who are sitting there talking about how McCarron can't drive the ball down the field - while McCarron is doing just that, on the field, behind them, for a score.  I wish I could find it, that thing was hysterically funny.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

PFF rated him below average for what that’s worth. My impression is that he was steady but not spectacular. Did we really miss much when Groy replaced him?

Do you trust PFF's OL ratings?  I don't think they're worth the powder to blow them to h*** myself.  

It's hard to tell what we missed or didn't - too many variables at the end of the season.   It wasn't a disaster and Groy played competently, for sure.

28 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Wood was a good guy, but saying he was Pro-Bowl quality is a stretch.

Pro bowl - shmo bowl.  Wood was very very good at Center.  It's my biggest worry on the o line and it's not close for me.