RIP Tony Sparano

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, way too young. 

RIP

Yeah... Lost my mother @ 58 in 1999.  I am only 8 years away... But father is kicking into his 80s... He has 9 Lives.

RIP

54 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I feel the same way about homicide detectives who make about 65k a year.

Agree.  But where?  Which big city department?

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I lost a friend from my youth last Sunday at 43.

Heart attack. There really is no set time, is there?

I am a firm believer that it is predetermined.  It's why freak accidents, and 43-year-olds having heart attacks, happen.  And why George Burns smoked two packs/day and lived to be 100.  It's fate; when it's your time, you're going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree.  But where?  Which big city department?

Many across the states...especially in the deep south.If you have the balls to make 10 yrs...the pay goes up.Put 20 yrs in and you're gliding into 80k -ish and looking at a good nest to settle in ..but by that time,the brain has been fried.A old saying... "Getting old ain't for sissies"

7 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I lost a friend from my youth last Sunday at 43.

Heart attack. There really is no set time, is there?

Nope...just last week in Buffalo,a 2yr old was beaten to death by his parents.That's just one example.

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I am a firm believer that it is predetermined.  It's why freak accidents, and 43-year-olds having heart attacks, happen.  And why George Burns smoked two packs/day and lived to be 100.  It's fate; when it's your time, you're going.

Genetics too.  My father's heart is working at half its capacity (or whatever his docs @ VA say about it)... But still kicking... Just not giving out.

Brother in law just needed a hip replacement @ 52... Wore before it's time.

Just like any machine, some are built better/worse than others.

Sad. RIP.

It certainly sounds like a heart attack and that's usually a safe assumption.... unfortunately most of the people we know will die from heart disease.  It's our number one killer and has been for quite some time despite advances in modern medicine that only treat the symptoms of the disease, not the cause.  As long as the vast majority of people continue to eat artery clogging diets,  then we shouldn't be surprised when someone goes "before their time".

37 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Is that something that can be screened for? 56 man...way too young.

Yeah... Called: BP, HDL/LDL, etc...

Did he ever get checked?  Looked like perfect candidate.  High BP runs in my family... Been on BP meds since I was 20 even when I was soaking wet, 160 pounds... Now 50... Same with cholesterol med.  I was skinny, then heavy, now skinny again... I get checked (liver function because of cholesterol meds) every 6 months with bloodwork... For past 30 years.

I started gaining weight in late 30s and 40s... Metabo slows... Not good for the heart carrying that around.

Dropping the weight really helps, pulls all the numbers into line.  He looked like a heavy dude.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, LeGOATski said:

A guy I knew died similarly at the same age. Didn't even complain of pains beforehand. Just collapsed all of a sudden and that was it.

It's weird how your reality can change in the blink of an eye. Your closest friend, who you think you have a long future with, just disappears.

That happened to our neighbor about 8 years ago.  He was 44.

Ate dinner, complained he felt a bit full/gassy

Collapsed suddenly in bed.  Wife saw, called neighbor (RN) and 911 within a minute, neighbor ran over and did CPR until paramedics arrived. 

Best case scenario: witnessed arrest, professional grade CPR started within 2 minutes.

Still couldn't get him back.

He was not particularly heavy, and quite active both in his work and leisure.  Heart disease ran in his family though.

While there can be a genetic component to many of these chronic diseases, the impact is often exaggerated.  A paraphrased quote from a MD that I once read..

The reason heart disease/diabetes/high blood pressure etc. tend to run in families is because diets tend to run in families.

Edited by BillsFanNC