EJ Manuel says benching with Bills sent him into depression

15 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know I should not have done so but I had to laugh when I read this ^^^^

so obvious and yet so true and needs to be stated constantly

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Watching Fitzy throw the ball into coverage apparently sent me into delirium - it made me laugh. 

Watching Orton run for his life, and still look like he was walking, made my mind think I was in a time-space continuum black hole vortex.

Edited by cba fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Watching Orton run for his life, and still look like he was walking, made my mind think I was in a time-space continuum black hole vortex.

And yet, right off the couch (hung over and with lungs filled with carbon monoxide), he was better than EJ...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

What would you give to see Shaq Lawson try to get out of his stance before Orton actually went anywhere? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You are talking about longevity when you said that the backup position is thin?? 

Uh,. ok.  Interesting take.  Backup QBs can last a very long time when the starter doesn't miss games.  By your logic, Chase Daniel may be one of the  the best backup QB in NFL history.  EJ has a ways to go to reach that "longevity".

I'm not ranking backups moron. The average quarterback career is 3.3 years. EJ's good enough to stick around, as is Chase. There's this thing called practice where coaches decide if you belong. Coaches don't watch Jamarcus Russel stink up the joint and think "ah **** it, he can back up Drew Brees. Not gonna play much, let's keep him around"

11 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm not ranking backups moron. The average quarterback career is 3.3 years. EJ's good enough to stick around, as is Chase. There's this thing called practice where coaches decide if you belong. Coaches don't watch Jamarcus Russel stink up the joint and think "ah **** it, he can back up Drew Brees. Not gonna play much, let's keep him around"

I'm aware that he is still on an NFL roster. And even you know that "the average NFL player's career is 3 years" includes every guy who got even a single check from a single NFL team before he was cut from camp in the denominator.

But even if you insist on picking "longevity" as a backup quality measure (instead of actual....quality), you would see that it's not a "very thin" position in that regard as well.  It's loaded with journeymen who have bounced around the league.

If you're ranking morons, put yourself right up there.

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember an article posted on the Bills website before the 2014 season. It was all about EJ and his preparation for the upcoming season. It had some interesting bits about his upbringing, though. During middle and high school, he struggled with academics to the point of where he worked with a tutor. Not to pick on the guy, but when I read that, it definitely lended validity to the fact that he always had trouble processing things after the snap. And the way he'd compensate for that would be to try and take it upon himself to be the only player he trusted on the field. Explains his hesitancy to throw it down field and give his receivers a chance. Doesn't help that Marrone and Hackett were coaching him to take off and run anytime his first read wasn't there.  

But clearly, any human being who's worked their entire life for a certain position is going to feel down when they're being demoted. He handled it professionally and continued on as a supportive teammate for the rest of his time here, which is all you can ask for. Dude just can't seem to flip the switch from "thinking too much" to "just go out and play."

On 7/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, uticaclub said:

Once Tyrod's legs go, he's worthless.

Both are backup caliber QB, i still think EJ has potential

Lmao. Why? EJ is a backup. Tyrod is starting on a small market rebuilding team as a stop gap. If EJ were to play Tyrod in a skills comp i bet Tyrod wins. They both have trouble processing the defense snd making quick decisions accuratly. They will both be solid backups but i bet Tyrod gets more starting jobs.