Alexandria, The New Direction Of The Democrats

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

I did know, but I misspoke. Tom Perez is the DNC chairman. So Obama handpicked her for that congressional district? I didn't know that. Maybe he should have coordinated with Nancy, who just thought that AOC was an "isolated phenomena.” (your words)

No. Obama recruited Perez for DNC chair over Ellison. Perez is an establishment neoliberal corporate Democrat who speaks in platitudes and cliches and becaus of it refuses to offer any bold progressive policy ideas. He says things like “our values unite us.” And when pushed on healthcare he says “everyone has a right to affordable healthcare”. 

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/24/key-question-about-dnc-race-why-did-white-house-recruit-perez-to-run-against-ellison/

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

yes, overhaul the entire medical system. 

Should take about two days and everyone will live forever

It’s not really overhauling it, so much as taking out the 30% overhead of private for profit insurance. It would be like how Medicare currently works. The government would be the single insurer / payer. Not a difficult overhaul at all and even conservatives who study trends know it’s going to happen sooner or later.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-conservative-case-for-universal-healthcare/

Why Trump doesn’t try to pass this before 2020 I have no idea. He would be re-elected in a landslide if he proposed and passed Medicare-for-All with the help of his followers & the Progressive left. 

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Source for these numbers please?

The source is zero sum professor commies inc.. None of it would happen and for profit innovation would come to a screeeeeeeeeeching halt.  Not for profit innovation would stick around and produce its normal nothing.

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

when the USD becomes the equivalent of the Venezuelan bolivare what does it really matter?

How are we going to pay for a system that saves $17 Trillion over our current system? That’s laughable. How does Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Japan, S Korea pay for their system? 

Edited by Dr.Sack

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

How are we going to pay for a system that saves $17 Trillion over our current system? That’s laughable. How does Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Japan, S Korea pay for their system? 

nice attempt at constructing a strawman. your comment has absolutely no bearing on my statement.

15 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How's care going to be delivered?

The same way Medicare currently delivers care, except now you get better Medicare with long-term care, vision, dental & no more Part D supplemental. Because you guys are all wildly successful capitalists I’m sure you can buy your private supplemental insurance to cover Botox & Viagara. ?

Just now, Foxx said:

nice attempt at constructing a strawman. your comment has absolutely no bearing on my statement.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Because we shoulder the burden of their defense costs, for one. 

I understand you don’t understand Economics. Venezuela has one primary source of GDP - exporting oil. They are experiencing hyper inflation not deflation.

The $17 Trillion savings would be a huge deflationary event, it wouldn’t make us have inflation. 

But to say how it’s paid for number one understand this right now every worker pays 1.45% into Medicare & their employer matches 1.45%. This is in addition to the cost of employer provided insurance which costs around $500 a month. 

Assume your Medicare tax would go to 5%. Your employer also pays 5% but would get out of the business of administrating and negotiating with health insurers. 

At 17-19% of GDP our health care system is the highest in the world. We can bring this down to 10% and save trillions. 

The question than becomes how do we spend those savings to make our economy not go into hyper-deflation? We’d have some  250,000 newly unemployed bean counters at the private insurance companies, and medical billing office clerks who won’t be needed in such mass numbers. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The same way Medicare currently delivers care, except now you get better Medicare with long-term care, vision, dental & no more Part D supplemental. Because you guys are all wildly successful capitalists I’m sure you can buy your private supplemental insurance to cover Botox & Viagara. ?

So our government will force private doctors and medical companies to provide the services and accept whatever the government decides is fair compensation for that? 

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

So our government will force private doctors and medical companies to provide the services and accept whatever the government decides is fair compensation for that? 

That is how it currently works in Canada. I don’t see Canadians in the streets demanding private insurers take over their national healthcare. 

In the U.S. 93% of doctors accept Medicare. Medicare pays very well and on-time.  In actuality medical billing is complicated and insurers often slow pay & sometimes don’t pay. This is wasteful & inefficient. Prices can be negotiated as they are now, and pegged to inflation.  

The idea that we have people going bankrupt due to medical debt is absurd.