Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

This is all the result of the money the ncaa makes on the backs of these student athletes.

Why not make the ncaa a not for profit, or better yet change their by-laws to have them divest themselves of all but a small bit of profits with the rest to go back to education and schools that need it or even charities that help students or student athletes?

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

What a load of crap.

You should probably be watching figure skating or synchronized swimming rather than football. It would cause you less heartburn.

It's not a load of crap.  It's exactly what's happening.  It's not like I'm sitting here saying it's criminal and has to be stopped.  I honestly don't care all that much.  I think it's a flawed system.  I think schools should be for learning and scholarships should go to kids who are in pursuit of a degree; not a Lombardi Trophy.

And I absolutely love watching Olympic figure skating. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's not a load of crap.  It's exactly what's happening.  It's not like I'm sitting here saying it's criminal and has to be stopped.  I honestly don't care all that much.  I think it's a flawed system.  I think schools should be for learning and scholarships should go to kids who are in pursuit of a degree; not a Lombardi Trophy.

And I absolutely love watching Olympic figure skating. 

It’s obviously possible to play college sports and get an education, but you want to ignore that, for some reason.

If college athletics bother you so much, stop watching. You should stop watching the NFL to as their are party to the system.

If enough people agree with you and tune out, it will force a change.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

It’s obviously possible to play college sports and get an education, but you want to ignore that, for some reason.

If college athletics bother you so much, stop watching. You should stop watching the NFL to as their are party to the system.

If enough people agree with you and tune out, it will force a change.

I'm sorry that you're interpreting what I've said 98% incorrectly.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm sorry that you're interpreting what I've said 98% incorrectly.

You said that schools "should be for learning and scholarships should go to kids who are in pursuit of a degree; not a Lombardi Trophy."

My understanding that you think that colleges should drop athletics and focus solely on academics and pro leagues should develop their own independent developmental programs.

Have I missed something?

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

You said that schools "should be for learning and scholarships should go to kids who are in pursuit of a degree; not a Lombardi Trophy."

My understanding that you think that colleges should drop athletics and focus solely on academics and pro leagues should develop their own independent developmental programs.

Have I missed something?

I actually clarified that in an earlier post.  I never said that I wanted colleges to drop athletics.  Students who want to play sports in college should absolutely have that opportunity.

My problem is athletes going to college to with the sole purpose of playing sports; specifically for free.  Those are not students who want to play sports.  Those are athletes who want to play sports for a college.

And yes ... I do believe pro leagues should have D leagues.  Hockey, baseball and basketball have them and they work quite well.

• Like (+1) 1

I/m sure there are some students that go to college for reasons that aren't primarily related to getting an education, ie. being in frat, partying, meeting girls. getting away from parents. etc. that has nothing to do with athletics.

I think the vast majoring of student athletes want to get an education. 

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

PS Atheletic departments especially football waste more money then they bring in and cover it up with misc student fees.  Make them run them like a true business and we will see how many declare bankruptcy.

Of course college sports are money losers. Do you think woman's rowing, bowling, fencing, swimming, etc. make money? Successful football programs fund other sports programs.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

No even before all that... travel expenses, recruitment expenses, bowl game expenses, conference revenue sharing, more coaches, tutors etc than an NFL team and roster size alone takes care of that plus all the perks coaches and staff recieve.

The football program at Alabama covers the costs of other athletic programs plus kicking back money to the university.

The former president said that hiring Nick Saban was the best financial decision the university has ever made.

I can’t speak to other programs because I’m not familiar with them. 

Won’t believe unless they truly opened their books.  Dated but a great book on college sports finances was written in the late 90s by Mo Sperber called College Sports Inc and details how Universities shuffle money around to pretend football and basketball programs make money, but actually run at deficits. Only two programs made money back then... Notre Dame... because the priests remformed the finance post Knute Rockney and Frank Leyden.  Forget the other one. Would love to see a detailed update.  I think there has been something more recent but would need to research.  PR departments at these programs are a well of misinformation.

Edited by North Buffalo

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Won’t believe unless they truly opened their books.  Dated but a great book on college sports finances was written in the late 90s by Mo Sperber called College Sports Inc and details how Universities shuffle money around to pretend football and basketball programs make money, but actually run at deficits. Only two programs made money back then... Notre Dame... because the priests remformed the finance post Knute Rockney and Frank Leyden.  Forget the other one. Would love to see a detailed update.  I think there has been something more recent but would need to research.  PR departments at these programs are a well of misinformation.

The Alabama football program had a $46M profit in 2016 - 2017 according to a NCAA financial report.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/01/27/alabama-football-turned-46m-profit-in-201617/

These guys sure look like they are being exploited, lol.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

My bad Ill keep looking, but shows you the gist unless it has changed that much?

I believe that it probably has. Saban was hired in 2007. The president of the university said that hiring him was the best financial decision that the university ever made.

Barrett Jones was a stellar player and student at Alabama. He earned an accounting degree, Summa Cum Laude and I believe that he also earned a Master's at UA in accounting, again with a 4.0 GPA.

Anyway, he hurt his foot in the SEC Championship. Doctor's advised him not to play in the National Championship, but he insisted on playing anyway. They provided him with every accommodation possible to fulfill his desire to play. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/19/nfl-alabama-draft-nick-saban-salary-marquis-johnson-nico-johnson-barrett-jones

Again, this story doesn't fit the exploitation narrative.

Edited by Sky Diver

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

The football program made $46M, and the athletic department, including the football program, made $15.6M.

At least that's how I understand it.

The football program has put Alabama on the national radar and has helped student recruitment. I don't know how you monetize that.

My son wasn't a big football fan, and the football program had absolutely nothing to do with his decision to attend school at Alabama, but he enjoyed going to the games. It definitely added to his student experience.

oh that last part is true.  And the first part is because of the TV contracts these guys have now.  Gotta be the reason for the change.  Part of the argument to pay these guys now.  Jeez the money is insane.

Still http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Shows AL Athletics received $6 mil in fees but only tranferred back $5+ back and ran a deficit.  

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

oh that last part is true.  And the first part is because of the TV contracts these guys have now.  Gotta be the reason for the change.  Part of the argument to pay these guys now.  Jeez the money is insane.

Still http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Shows AL Athletics received $6 mil in fees but only tranferred back $5+ back and ran a deficit.  

I’m not sure where you are getting that from the info provided, but I’m an engineer, not an accountant. :)

More details on the athletic budget here:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/01/alabama_footballs_piece_of_174.html

As a numbers guy, you might be interested in this article. College sports is a big business.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-crimson-tide-football-marketing.html

Edited by Sky Diver

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Sky Diver said:

What a load of crap.

You should probably be watching figure skating or synchronized swimming rather than football. It would cause you less heartburn.

He is taking it personal because his team is certainly a bunch of losers and Coach Saban and the Crimson Tide are consistently great.

Could you imagine just how depressing Saturdays are, and soon will be for him once again?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/18/2018 at 5:38 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

This is all the result of the money the ncaa makes on the backs of these student athletes.

Why not make the ncaa a not for profit, or better yet change their by-laws to have them divest themselves of all but a small bit of profits with the rest to go back to education and schools that need it or even charities that help students or student athletes?

The NCAA is already a non-profit organization.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:10 PM, SoCal Deek said:

So all the other student athletes, toiling away in the weight room, at practice, risking injury, traveling during Break, and competing in their sports at the NCAA level while still going to class, etc. get what exactly?

A free education.

If the players are not starters should they pay full tuition?

What, exactly, are colleges getting out of bench warmers?

On 7/16/2018 at 11:30 PM, Fadingpain said:

Ditch the whole damned system and set up a proper professional minor league for football.

That will never happen, but it should.

So, draft kids out of high school?

Imagine the bust rate of that. LOL

On 7/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, North Buffalo said:

PS Atheletic departments especially football waste more money then they bring in and cover it up with misc student fees.  Make them run them like a true business and we will see how many declare bankruptcy.

Thought I read that the vast majority of Division 1 football loses huge money and many would love to scrap the football program inmediately.

get this blight off campus and have a real place of thinking and learning and safety.

20 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

A free education.

If the players are not starters should they pay full tuition?

What, exactly, are colleges getting out of bench warmers?

So, draft kids out of high school?

Imagine the bust rate of that. LOL

The time committment for being a division 1 athlete and a real scholar causes a situation that is rare that it can happen very successfully or without a lot of help. It definetly is a choice, but dont confuse a student athlete with a scholar.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:40 PM, Sky Diver said:

How about rich, frat boys? How about SJW types? How about Asian students?

Do you honestly think that different demographic groups don’t cluster?

What coach doesn’t have control over his players? Only a very callous individual doesn’t care about his players. I don’t see Saban as that type.

Not  Diii coaches... My cousin Sam received D1 full boat offers from Duke and UNC for basketball, turned them both down along with four other freshman D1 basketball recruits.  They went to Wesleyan in CT on academic scholarships.  Started winning beating no 1 D3 team in nation and coach wanted them to practice.  They threatened to quit because that wasnt what they were there for.  If they wanted to practice they could have gone D1. Needless to say coach backed off.  See the difference in power relationships.

Edited by North Buffalo

I know all about power relationships. I have worked for someone for the last 35 years.

I disagree that you can’t be a scholar and an athlete.

Most “academic” scholarships have a financial aid component. I make enough money that my kids didn’t qualify for financial aid, but not enough that I could cut a check for $60K to $70K/yr. Hence we focused on schools that offered guaranteed merit scholarships. Sadly, there are very few left.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:03 AM, Sky Diver said:

Barrett Jones was a stellar player and student at Alabama. He earned an accounting degree, Summa Cum Laude and I believe that he also earned a Master's at UA in accounting, again with a 4.0 GPA.

Anyway, he hurt his foot in the SEC Championship. Doctor's advised him not to play in the National Championship, but he insisted on playing anyway. They provided him with every accommodation possible to fulfill his desire to play. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/19/nfl-alabama-draft-nick-saban-salary-marquis-johnson-nico-johnson-barrett-jones

Again, this story doesn't fit the exploitation narrative.

I don't really understand the point of that story.  How exactly does Jones' life change if he is paid some small fraction of say a $20m profit?  He's one guy out of what, 90 or so?  Plus a bunch of other students who contribute to the program.  So even if we suppose Jones had been paid a few hundred thousand dollars (before taxes), does that really change his life?  Isn't having an accounting degree w/ a 4.0 average worth far more?

I think the 'pay college athletes' crowd has this perception that guys would/should be earning millions and millions of dollars.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, row_33 said:

Thought I read that the vast majority of Division 1 football loses huge money and many would love to scrap the football program inmediately.

get this blight off campus and have a real place of thinking and learning and safety.

That's the only real 'fix' possible.  Make all athletics of the 'club' variety;  tell the NFL and NBA to sort out their own minor leagues.

Edited by KD in CA

26 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I don't really understand the point of that story.  How exactly does Jones' life change if he is paid some small fraction of say a $20m profit?  He's one guy out of what, 90 or so?  Plus a bunch of other students who contribute to the program.  So even if we suppose Jones had been paid a few hundred thousand dollars (before taxes), does that really change his life?  Isn't having an accounting degree w/ a 4.0 average worth far more?

I think the 'pay college athletes' crowd has this perception that guys would/should be earning millions and millions of dollars.

That's the only real 'fix' possible.  Make all athletics of the 'club' variety;  tell the NFL and NBA to sort out their own minor leagues.

The point of the story was to challenge the conception that college football players are exploited.

Jones got two accounting degrees for free playing a game he loves and is well established for life after football. When he was injured, he got world class medical care.

If some players don’t take advantage of the opportunity to get an education, it’s their fault.

Edited by Sky Diver

41 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The point of the story was to challenge the conception that college football players are exploited.

Jones got two accounting degrees for free playing a game he loves and is well established for life after football. When he was injured, he got world class medical care.

If some players don’t take advantage of the opportunity to get an education, it’s their fault.

I completely agree with that.   I only read that exerpt but from the tone of the thread though we were going in the other direction.

• Like (+1) 1

My objection it is their fault... barring injury or just not good enough talent, scholarship can be rescinded.  If they are going to do this then make all athletic scholarships 4 years guaranteed.  Would also diversify the glut of the haves and have nots.  

• 2 weeks later...

Pay them. College football is a farce. It is a grand spectacle put on to make millions for the school. The players are exploited and left hung out to dry. Many could never qualify for the schools they “attend”, so the thought they are getting an education is a bit disingenuous. 

33 minutes ago, iinii said:

Pay them. College football is a farce. It is a grand spectacle put on to make millions for the school. The players are exploited and left hung out to dry. Many could never qualify for the schools they “attend”, so the thought they are getting an education is a bit disingenuous. 

you can't just pay them, you have to pay everyone that is an athlete if you do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.