Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

38 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Let’s make them debt slaves. Good plan. That’s certainly better than the current system.

Let's stop sending bona fide morons through four years of "school," for free when they're going to end up being millionaires, anyway.

Let's make school for students and give scholarships to students ... not athletes pretending to be students.

Let's make developmental leagues for athletes who are not students.

And if an athlete wants to go to school, then that's his choice.

I have always been for paying college athletes. I think the solution is to allow universities to offer any student-athlete $100 to $300 per week during his or her season. The school can set the rate as it so wishes between those two numbers and only pay the students when they are in season. This would give the students spending money without breaking the bank. Schools wouldn't have to offer to pay the players, but if they offer up to one athlete they have to offer it to all athletes and give at least the minimum to all of them. 

Also, I think student-athletes should be able to sell their likeness and get money for doing commercials or autograph signings. It's a free market and if a car dealership is willing to pay a player $1,000 to come sign autographs, that player should be allowed to get that money. 

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Let's stop sending bona fide morons through four years of "school," for free when they're going to end up being millionaires, anyway.

Let's make school for students and give scholarships to students ... not athletes pretending to be students.

Let's make developmental leagues for athletes who are not students.

And if an athlete wants to go to school, then that's his choice.

You are aware that it’s possible to be an athlete and to also be intelligent, right?

My boss ran track in college. He was near world class and won a major marathon. He also has a PhD in ChemE.

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You are aware that it’s possible to be an athlete and to also be intelligent, right?

My boss ran track in college. He was near world class and won a major marathon. He also has a PhD in ChemE.

Yes, I'm well aware.  That's why I said that if a student also wants to be an athlete whilst pursing his/her degree, then have at it.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yes, I'm well aware.  That's why I said that if a student also wants to be an athlete whilst pursing his/her degree, then have at it.

And you are against athletic scholarships because???

The University of Alabama gives athletic scharships AND generous guaranteed merit based academic scholarships (independent of financial need) to top students.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/

Atheletic scholarships and academic scholarships aren’t mutually exclusive.

Edited by Sky Diver

The University of Alabama gives athletic scharships AND generous merit based academic scholarships (independent of financial need) to top students.

Because Alabama churns out "college graduates" who can barely speak their native tongue.

That's not what college is for.

Most of the players on that team should be in a developmental league, getting paid, for playing football - which is their end game.  So why pretend to mix academics in?

Just now, Gugny said:

Because Alabama churns out "college graduates" who can barely speak their native tongue.

That's not what college is for.

Most of the players on that team should be in a developmental league, getting paid, for playing football - which is their end game.  So why pretend to mix academics in?

That’s quite a display of ignorance. Congrats!

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

When Eric Dickerson walked into a recruiters office at another school than SMU there was $50,000 dollars sitting on the table, he looked at them and laughed "man you guys ain't even close".  

Eric Dickerson was going to to sign up with Texas A&M and suddenly was driving around in a gold trans-am..he changed his mind and went to SMU but kept the Trans-Am...dumb aggies

It is a gross generalization of course but what Gugny says is more truth than "ignorance". Alabama football players, 90% probably, could care less about college, they are de-facto football players not student athletes.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Your denial of the truth is more along the lines of what I'd characterize as ignorance.

Everyone knows that Alabama is basically a AAA Team for the NFL and that nearly zero of their starters are there based on their academic prowess.

But yeah ... I'll be the ignorant one, here.

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Eric Dickerson was going to to sign up with Texas A&M and suddenly was driving around in a gold trans-am..he changed his mind and went to SMU but kept the Trans-Am...dumb aggies

It is a gross generalization of course but what Gugny says is more truth than "ignorance". Alabama football players, 90% probably, could care less about college, they are de-facto football players not student athletes.

90%? Haha. What a load of crap. How did you arrive at that number?

Just now, Gugny said:

Your denial of the truth is more along the lines of what I'd characterize as ignorance.

Everyone knows that Alabama is basically a AAA Team for the NFL and that nearly zero of their starters are there based on their academic prowess.

But yeah ... I'll be the ignorant one, here.

I’ll agree with your last sentence. 

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very scientifically with my proprietary data base.   Did you know the average IQ for Alabama football players is 89, 4 points below the average NCAA DIv 1 football?

What does your proprietary data base say about the average IQ on this forum?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

What does your proprietary data base say about the average IQ on this forum?

24 points below the national average which is just borderline mental disability and qualifies most (not all, dont want to generalize)  posters here to seek federal funding as they are mentally and emotionally challenged.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think in the not too distant future, former college football players are going to have a massive class action lawsuit against Universities and the NCAA and are going to win/settle for multi-billions dollars.  They will first sue over CTE and injuries,  then sue for future loss of earnings power maybe even collusion.  A lot of smaller school programs and  conferences will just fold and the big ones are going to have to radically change, probably hire them as employees, drop the student athlete farce, give them contracts and pay them. 

Northwestern Football players filed suit to unionize already.  That was one step away from getting paid.   I actually I am shocked there hasn't been lawsuits yet re CTE.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

The University of Alabama gives athletic scharships AND generous guaranteed merit based academic scholarships (independent of financial need) to top students.

Atheletic scholarships and academic scholarships aren’t mutually exclusive.

1/3 of first year placements go to legacies

1/3 go to athletes and other talents for scholarship, and quotas

1/3 go to the best of the minds needing 4.0 to get in

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

1/3 of first year placements go to legacies

1/3 go to athletes and other talents for scholarship, and quotas

1/3 go to the best of the minds needing 4.0 to get in

I don’t know what the breakdown is, but I’m sure the vast majority of scholarships are for academics.

Alabama’s scholarships are guaranteed based on merit (GPA/ACT/SAT) and are very generous, which is why they have been able to attract high end students from across the country. The university enrolls more out-of-state students then in-state students.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

24 points below the national average which is just borderline mental disability and qualifies most (not all, dont want to generalize)  posters here to seek federal funding as they are mentally and emotionally challenged.

I think that your model may be skewed. It seems overly generous.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

And what about athletes who want an education and can’t afford college?

There's literally no reason to not go to college. If your parents are poor, the government will pay for your college through grants. If your parents are rich and don't give you money for college, you can get student loans with very low interest rates. If your grades weren't good in high school, go to a community college for a semester or two.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.