Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

She does just fine....but thanks for your concern?  I noticed that you didn't answer my questions, as what defines a D3 school, nor did you provide an alternative method for the initial evaluation of incoming students.

What defines a DIII school? DIII schools don’t provide athletic scholarships. They are typically smaller schools with low budgets.

How do you evaluate incoming students? GPA, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, essays, recommenrations, interviews, etc.

Where are we going with this?

Edited by Sky Diver

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

What defines a DIII school? DIII schools don’t provide athletic scholarships. They are typically smaller schools with low budgets.

How do you evaluate incoming students? GPA, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, essays, recommenrations, interviews, etc.

Where are we going with this?

All correct. Just trying to see who I’m conversing with here. Most people are under the false impression that the Divisions are defined solely by enrollment size.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

All correct. Just trying to see who I’m conversing with here. Most people are under the false impression that the Divisions are defined solely by enrollment size.

I graduated from a DII school. I don’t have any hang ups about divisions.

30 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You don’t think there is clustering in the general student population too?

Not those on academic scholarships or actually paying to go to school, no.

On 7/16/2018 at 6:50 PM, Sky Diver said:

Free tuition and room/board seems like a pretty good deal to me. Not sure what needs to be fixed.

https://deadspin.com/josh-rosen-has-a-plan-to-fix-the-ncaa-1827631499/amp

Says a guy who wasn’t making millions of dollars for his school.  Saban has complete power over his players because he can determine if they play enough to make it to the next level.  And if they blow out their knee and that never happens, no one cares.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not those on academic scholarships or actually paying to go to school, no.

How about rich, frat boys? How about SJW types? How about Asian students?

Do you honestly think that different demographic groups don’t cluster?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Says a guy who wasn’t making millions of dollars for his school.  Saban has complete power over his players because he can determine if they play enough to make it to the next level.  And if they blow out their knee and that never happens, no one cares.

What coach doesn’t have control over his players? Only a very callous individual doesn’t care about his players. I don’t see Saban as that type.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How about rich, frat boys? How about SJW types? How about Asian students?

Do you honestly think that different demographic groups don’t cluster?

What coach doesn’t have control over his players? Only a very callous individual doesn’t care about his players. I don’t see Saban as that type.

I think you overestimate how much these coaches value players, especially non studs.  I didn’t play college football at Alabama but I’ve seen first hand how coaches just move the practice up 10 yards when a player gets hurt.  

In what other business are millionaires not required to play their employees nothing?  Why are Tebow and Newton not allowed to profit off their jersey sales when they are in college?

i don’t know that right system but college football is completely corrupt. 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, occasionally a D3 athlete makes it to the pros. And the Bills certainly have had their share.  The best player at her University was recently the top receiver in the CFL, got a look with the 49ers and then got injured in Pre-Season. He's back with Calgary this year.  The kid has size and good hands.  I always wished the Bills would give him a tryout, especially considering our limited talent at WR.

....you just push like hell for these kids that want to make it and dedicate themselves to do so.....when my late wife was undergoing a double lung transplant at the Cleveland Clinic, the hotel I lived at was the same one used by the Browns, for tryouts, minis, OTA's, etc.....met several of these kids.....everything was "yes sir....no sir....good morning sir.." etc....phenomenal group.....used to pump them up saying "I expect to see you in the Pro Bowl some day"....they loved it...devastating to see them sitting at the curb once cut waiting for their ride.....patted many on the back and said "don't give up the dream son"....a GREAT experience or me..........

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Blahblahah, get over it.

Nick Saban and Alabama have one goal in mind:  to get as many of their players drafted into the NFL.  Why?  So the best high school players want to play for Alabama ... and Alabama makes more money.

They're not making money by churning out the future of America.  They're making money by churning out the future of the National Football League.

There is no way that you can't see this.

8 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

The limit on Federal Loans is $31,000 - no more than $23,000 of this may be subsidized. Beyond that, parents have to co-sign. Have you checked the price of college lately? $23,000 will barely cover the cost of 1 year at a SUNY school.

Not everyone is very rich, or very poor, a lot of us are in the middle.

Community college is a good route for a lot of students, including high achievers.

Then don't go to an expensive school. There are tons of cheap schools out there.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nick Saban and Alabama have one goal in mind:  to get as many of their players drafted into the NFL.  Why?  So the best high school players want to play for Alabama ... and Alabama makes more money.

They're not making money by churning out the future of America.  They're making money by churning out the future of the National Football League.

There is no way that you can't see this.

So in other words, you think Alabama football players are victims. Do I have that right?

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

So in other words, you think Alabama football players are victims. Do I have that right?

For the most part, no.  The ones who are sucked in, who Saban knows won't make it to the NFL - those kids, to an extent, are victims of his selfishness.  But the others who make it to the NFL make their money.

I'm sorry if I have a problem with a bunch of thug morons who can barely speak English (their native language) or do long division "graduating" from a university; but I do.  I have a big problem with it.

But it's our society.  It starts in high school, where these idiots are never held accountable and teachers are pressured to pass them so the school can make national headlines.

It's what creates idiots like Jameis Winston and others who grow up not having to answer to a higher authority.  Until, of course, they're not as good as once thought, then they're left hung out to dry (see: Jameis Winston, again).

Call a spade a spade and let football players become football players out of high school; let scholars become scholars; and let student-athletes become student athletes.  

Stop pretending that college is a necessary go-between.  It's not.  College is for educating our future; not building a brand on one's way to the professional level.

And there is no school more guilty of that than Alabama and that colossal douchebag, Nick Saban.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Then don't go to an expensive school. There are tons of cheap schools out there.

I’m done with school, so it’s not an issue for me.

Tuition is about at a community college is about $4,000/yr and about $9,000 at 4 yr SUNY university.

If you live home and are supported by your parents you could potentially get a degree for about $30,000 in NYS. That assumes that you live close enough to schools that offer the degree you are seeking.

Maybe there are certain on-line degrees that are cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For the most part, no.  The ones who are sucked in, who Saban knows won't make it to the NFL - those kids, to an extent, are victims of his selfishness.  But the others who make it to the NFL make their money.

I'm sorry if I have a problem with a bunch of thug morons who can barely speak English (their native language) or do long division "graduating" from a university; but I do.  I have a big problem with it.

But it's our society.  It starts in high school, where these idiots are never held accountable and teachers are pressured to pass them so the school can make national headlines.

It's what creates idiots like Jameis Winston and others who grow up not having to answer to a higher authority.  Until, of course, they're not as good as once thought, then they're left hung out to dry (see: Jameis Winston, again).

Call a spade a spade and let football players become football players out of high school; let scholars become scholars; and let student-athletes become student athletes.  

Stop pretending that college is a necessary go-between.  It's not.  College is for educating our future; not building a brand on one's way to the professional level.

And there is no school more guilty of that than Alabama and that colossal douchebag, Nick Saban.

What a load of crap.

You should probably be watching figure skating or synchronized swimming rather than football. It would cause you less heartburn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.