President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Explain McConnell's decision to keep a SC seat vacated FOR OVER A YEAR as a matter of process.

Both sides are playing this game. It just so happens that the right is winning. 

Difference is that McConnell worked within Senate procedure and the Constitution to block Garland.  Feinstein went outside it and abused the rights of a rape victim to inflame the mob.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Underachiever?

Very much so.  I use this subforum to get the conservative perspective as it's many more ways more insightful than Fox News/Talk Radio/Right wing websites, etc...  There's no money behind these opinions.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Explain McConnell's decision to keep a SC seat vacated FOR OVER A YEAR as a matter of process.

McConnell met the Constitutional requirement of "advise and consent", and his actions were consistent with the Biden Rule (process and precedent).  Further, the Obama era Court's vacancy wasn't anywhere near the longest in the history of the Court.  John Tyler had a nomination held up for over two and a half years under somewhat similar circumstances.

What he did not do was advocate for political violence, or engage in scorched Earth tactics like accusing Merrick Garland of being a gang rapist in an attempt to force President Obama to withdraw his nomination.

The right did not call the Supreme Court illegitimate.

The right did not for the abolition of the Senate as a democratic republican body.

The right did not call for the abolition of the Electoral College.

The right did not assault Congressmen or Senators.

The right did not attempt to assassinate members of the government.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Difference is that McConnell worked within Senate procedure and the Constitution to block Garland.  Feinstein went outside it and abused the rights of a rape victim to inflame the mob.

Not buying it. The difference is that Republicans controlled the Senate. It was gamesmanship any way you slice it. 

Brilliant play by McConnell, but certainly not standard process.

The left had to give it's rabid base some red meat and overplayed their hand on Kavanaugh, but let's not pretend like conservatives have been conducting themselves as pillars of virtue.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's stunning to me that you engage in conversation here so adamantly, and still have no idea what in the holy hell you're talking about beyond repeating the same stupid stuff that stupid people post on Twitter.

Any thinking person knows what McConnell did with Garland. They know how it did it (constitutionally). And they even know it was Joe Biden who paved that path.

Read more, post less. It will do you some good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The left had to give it's rabid base some red meat and overplayed their hand on Kavanaugh, but let's not pretend like conservatives have been conducting themselves as pillars of virtue.

Explain to everyone what the right has been doing that comes even remotely close to what you see leftist activists doing for the past three weeks.

Flooding the halls of congress? Chasing leftists out of restaurants? Standing in front of crowds like Maxine Waters, demanding people to get angry loud? Post like Ian Millhiser that the right must follow people everywhere they go and scream at them?

Tell us. What has the right being doing that comes close?

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not buying it. The difference is that Republicans controlled the Senate. It was gamesmanship any way you slice it. 

Brilliant play by McConnell, but certainly not standard process.

Doesn't matter what you buy.   Your belief is irrelevant to the fact: the Constitution specifies "advice and consent," but the Supreme Court has ruled that the means of "advice and consent" is entirely up to the Senate, and it begins when the nomination hits the chair's desk.  There is no requirement to advance it to committee or a vote.

And I supported Garland's nomination, and thought McConnell was being petulant and childish.  But he acted entirely within established Senate procedure and Constitutional law.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Totally separate issue. Everything else you posted was solid.

I'd argue that it's not a completely separate issue.

The left is demonstrating that they believe in a fundamentally different form of government than the one Constitutionally prescribed.

Their biggest fear in regards to President Trump was his appointment of Origionalist Justices to the Supreme Court, which would serve to undo how they want government to function.

IE Congress (both houses) serve as celebrity activists and party fundraiser firebrands elevating the will of the Executive, the Executive rules by fiat writing "law" by executive regulatory decree, and the Supreme Court rubber stamps the actions of the Executive circumventing the need to create actual law via the "living document" standard.

President Trump's appointees strip away that standard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

NOT SATIRE: In His First Day On The Job, Kavanaugh Hired As Many Black Law Clerks As RBG Has In Her Entire Tenure.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has hired a black law clerk for his new chambers at the U.S. Supreme Court, matching Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s record of African-American clerkship hiring during her tenure on the nation’s highest judicial tribunal.

With his first clerkship hires, Kavanaugh also set a gender composition record, an apparent attempt to buck the high court’s hiring patterns, which tend to favor white, male graduates of elite law schools.

Since joining the high court in 1993, Ginsburg has hired over 100 law clerks, just one of whom is black.

Where are the protestors?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NOT SATIRE: In His First Day On The Job, Kavanaugh Hired As Many Black Law Clerks As RBG Has In Her Entire Tenure.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has hired a black law clerk for his new chambers at the U.S. Supreme Court, matching Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s record of African-American clerkship hiring during her tenure on the nation’s highest judicial tribunal.

With his first clerkship hires, Kavanaugh also set a gender composition record, an apparent attempt to buck the high court’s hiring patterns, which tend to favor white, male graduates of elite law schools.

Since joining the high court in 1993, Ginsburg has hired over 100 law clerks, just one of whom is black.

Where are the protestors?

They're on Twitter, screaming that he's trying to hide his racism and misogyny with empty gestures.

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

It's stunning to me that you engage in conversation here so adamantly, and still have no idea what in the holy hell you're talking about beyond repeating the same stupid stuff that stupid people post on Twitter.

Any thinking person knows what McConnell did with Garland. They know how it did it (constitutionally). And they even know it was Joe Biden who paved that path.

Read more, post less. It will do you some good.

I'm genuinely here to learn what makes you people tick. I know very few conservatives IRL and the twitter right is intellectually vapid. If you'll note, the overwhelming majority of my posts are responses. 

7 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'd argue that it's not a completely separate issue.

The left is demonstrating that they believe in a fundamentally different form of government than the one Constitutionally prescribed.

Their biggest fear in regards to President Trump was his appointment of Origionalist Justices to the Supreme Court, which would serve to undo how they want government to function.

By left, I assume you mean the "deep state" or the "powers that be." Many on the left didn't know the Supreme Court existed before Trump's election victory.

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm genuinely here to learn what makes you people tick. I know very few conservatives IRL and the twitter right is intellectually vapid. If you'll note, the overwhelming majority of my posts are responses. 

By left, I assume you mean the "deep state" or the "powers that be." Many on the left didn't know the Supreme Court existed before Trump's election victory.

You don't even know how the government works.  You have no chance of understanding how "us people" work.  You can't even identify what "we" stand for.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

You bring a tremendous amount of dispassionate thought to your posts and I respect that, so you'd be an exception. 

Simply stating that the right STILL appears discontent despite controlling the entire federal government.

The left is naturally going to be pissed off right now. While I despise the histrionics, it makes perfect sense for them to feel politically aggrieved. I just can't figure out what the right has to be upset about. You won! ...

your right of course. why should the Right be upset at all the dirty pool tactics that were employed. it is the Left that should be pissed off because all those dirty tactics didn't work!

yes, we are living on Htrae...

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

your right of course. why should the Right be upset at all the dirty pool tactics that were employed. it is the Left that should be pissed off because all those dirty tactics didn't work!

yes, we are living on Htrae...

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to allow the description of what happened to Justice Kavanaugh, and the implications of a new standard of justice under which the accuser, rather than the accused deserve to be believed, to be described simply as "dirty pool".

That minimizes the reality of what happened, and what continues to happen.

What happened is a gross perversion of justice, and our entire system of government.  It is absolutely !@#$ing disgusting, as is anyone who supports it.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

So now Uncle Joe defines processes for Republicans?

The only "process" the Rs (and Ds) believe in is in more power and more money.

Precedent defines process in politics.

Why do you think I constantly argue that process is more important than individual outcome?

It's not the Republicans fault that Senate Democrats forged political weapons for their own use, only to have them stolen away in the middle of the fight.

That the Democrats are now tasting their own bitter medicine because they honestly believed Republicans would never hold power again is their own damn fault.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2