President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

they better hurry and confirm, GOP might get a supermajority in the Senate in November at this rate

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Now you've done it.  Now both the Redskins and the Nationals will need new team names. 

a Russian is the best player for the Capitals....

DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Kavanaugh, under all kinds of ridiculous attacks.............................meanwhile, NOT from the Onion

.DkjOUk-XcAEu_Sk.jpg

I'm gonna buy one, I'm gonna go out to my workshop, and I'm gonna build it a tiny little coffin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I'm gonna buy one, I'm gonna go out to my workshop, and I'm gonna build it a tiny little coffin.

What will be the last straw, she starts letting out 10 second farts with no idea they are happening?

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

People that old shouldn’t make decisions when their ethical creed is based on Why Don’t We Do It In The Road

DESPERATE DEMS SAY THEY’LL GO TO COURT TO GET KAVANAUGH PAPERS 

I must say I enjoy watching Senate Democrats throwing a fit over their inability to get millions of pages of Brett Kavanaugh-related documents in time for his confirmation hearing. Apparently, the Dems can’t find anything in the many hundreds of judicial opinions Judge Kavanaugh has written or signed that will come close to sinking his nomination. Thus, they have pinned their hopes on finding a “gotcha” in some paper Kavanaugh wrote when he worked in the Bush administration.

I very much doubt such a sentence exists. By many accounts, Kavanaugh is the kind of person who planned to be a judge from the moment he entered law school. Or maybe high school. I’m pretty sure he was very careful about he wrote while working in the White House. His most controversial statements are probably those he wrote as a judge, where his job requires him to decide highly controversial issues.

In any event, Republicans aren’t going to (1) insist on the production of the millions of papers Kavanaugh handled as White House staff secretary or (2) hold up his confirmation while the Archives struggles to produce all of the papers he wrote when he worked in White House counsel’s office. The leadership’s response to Democratic whining is just what the Democrats’ response would be if the shoe were on the other foot: Pound sand.

Instead of pounding sand, Democrats are going to sue. In this case, it probably amounts to the same thing.

Last week, Judiciary Committee Democrats filed FOIA requests with the National Archives, the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Central Intelligence Agency, giving the agencies until September 6 to comply with the massive document requests. Knowing that the agencies won’t — can’t — comply, the Dems are prepared to sue.

Sen. Chuck Schumer said today:

We’re announcing that we stand ready to sue the National Archives for Judge Kavanaugh’s full records if necessary.

Unfortunately for Schumer and his fellow Democrats, there is no way their lawsuit could be resolved before the Kavanaugh hearings begin on September 4. Moreover, even if it were resolved in the Democrats’ favor, there would no way all of the documents could be produced, much less combed for a “gotcha,” in time.

More at the link: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/08/desperate-dems-say-theyll-go-to-court-to-get-kavanaugh-papers.php

Edited by B-Man

8 hours ago, B-Man said:
Unfortunately for Schumer and his fellow Democrats, there is no way their lawsuit could be resolved before the Kavanaugh hearings begin on September 4. Moreover, even if it were resolved in the Democrats’ favor, there would no way all of the documents could be produced, much less combed for a “gotcha,” in time.

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years. They're hoping that getting some liberal activist district court judge to issue an injunction that will take months to get overturned on appeal - months they think they can use to get control of the Senate.

This is all about using every dirty trick they can think of to delay a confirmation vote until they can get a Senate majority and vote him down. It is not, and has never been about whether Judge Kavanaugh is a good jurist. Schumer couldn't care less about Kavanaugh - it's about #resisting actual literal super mecha-Hitler and getting himself more power.

There's no way that any court case to delay the vote would actually survive past the District Court level; scheduling the vote is clearly a political question solely within the purview of the Senate leadership.

The interesting thing is that, if they were to succeed, the Democrats may give Clarence Thomas exactly what he wants: a great case to use as a vehicle to eliminate the power of district court judges to issue sweeping injunctions. He has already been highly critical of whether or not a district court judge in one small jurisdiction has nationwide authority.

9 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years. They're hoping that getting some liberal activist district court judge to issue an injunction that will take months to get overturned on appeal - months they think they can use to get control of the Senate.

This is all about using every dirty trick they can think of to delay a confirmation vote until they can get a Senate majority and vote him down. It is not, and has never been about whether Judge Kavanaugh is a good jurist. Schumer couldn't care less about Kavanaugh - it's about #resisting actual literal super mecha-Hitler and getting himself more power.

There's no way that any court case to delay the vote would actually survive past the District Court level; scheduling the vote is clearly a political question solely within the purview of the Senate leadership.

The interesting thing is that, if they were to succeed, the Democrats may give Clarence Thomas exactly what he wants: a great case to use as a vehicle to eliminate the power of district court judges to issue sweeping injunctions. He has already been highly critical of whether or not a district court judge in one small jurisdiction has nationwide authority.

Nuclear option time. Once all the Republicans are in line, Ignore the Democrats entirely. Don't allow them to stonewall.

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Nuclear option time. Once all the Republicans are in line, Ignore the Democrats entirely. Don't allow them to stonewall.

Has to be a few GOP who will stall for favours

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years.

That is true...and it will be very interesting.  The Judicial Branch ruling on an issue that's constitutionally the sole province of the Legislature, as ruled previously by the Judiciary.  

And I have no doubt they'll find a circuit court judge to give them that ruling...kicking it up to the Supreme Court, which will return a split 4-4 decision along partisan lines, thus leaving the lower court's judgement in place.  And the Democrats will have set another precedent to bite themselves in the ass...

...but this time, the precedent is that Congress does not have the power to set their own parlimentary procedures and bylaws.  Which I'm sure the Congressional Democrats are fine with, since they don't legislate but act as activists whose job it is to enable the executive.  But I don't think they realize that, in gutting Congressional independence, it basically becomes our Reichstag fire.