NFL suspends Jameis Winston for 3 games

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, it’s just so stupid the nfl and fans care more about fake patriotism than sexual predators!   Can’t wait to draft Winston and Joe Mixon next year in fantasy!

Did you read the Sharper story?  It’s freaking nuts.  Dude was all over the US knocking women out, even his girlfriends.  So crazy.

He was a fantasy bust last year.  Take him.

In between his two known sexual assaults, what has he shown you on the football field that would force you (see what I did there?) to conclude he has the makings of one the all time great NFL QBs?

n

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, it’s just so stupid the nfl and fans care more about fake patriotism than sexual predators!   Can’t wait to draft Winston and Joe Mixon next year in fantasy!

Did you read the Sharper story?  It’s freaking nuts.  Dude was all over the US knocking women out, even his girlfriends.  So crazy.

..that my friend is NOTHING short of speechless......sure as hell hope WInston NEVER gets THERE.....good Lord...............

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This odd habit of the NFL playing the role of a quasi-judicial body has to stop.

Did Winston commit a crime?  Then let the authorities put him in jail.

If he did not, let him play.

Who the F is the NFL to be handing out determinations on people's conduct one way or the other?

What is this, some S. American banana republic?

I get that a certain percentage of NFL players, at all times, are thugs, and this creates image problems that impedes the NFL's cash flow...but let the court system function on its own!

There are many industries that hold their employees to a code of public conduct. But, this issue especially speaks to how much the NFL is, by and large, a part of the entertainment industry. And, if there's any confusion as to why conduct would be held accountable in the workplace, just ask Kevin Spacey, or Louis CK.

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This odd habit of the NFL playing the role of a quasi-judicial body has to stop.

Who the F is the NFL to be handing out determinations on people's conduct one way or the other?

I get that a certain percentage of NFL players, at all times, are thugs, and this creates image problems that impedes the NFL's cash flow...but let the court system function on its own!

The NFL wouldn't have to act as a judicial body if the teams felt obligated to do their own investigations and punishments.

listening to Greg Landry's podcast these incidents are no surprise to those who scouted him. There are more incidents than those that have reached media attention. This guy is an entitled thug whose parents and coaches have enabled him all his life. Nick Saban refused to sign him for these reasons. Not a good human being. Not long for this league

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/26/2018 at 5:32 AM, SouthNYfan said:

Gotcha.

I remembered seeing something a few years back linking NASA to that place in Alabama.

I knew there was a NASA connection:)

As is the HQ for Missile Defense Agency.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

There are many industries that hold their employees to a code of public conduct. But, this issue especially speaks to how much the NFL is, by and large, a part of the entertainment industry. And, if there's any confusion as to why conduct would be held accountable in the workplace, just ask Kevin Spacey, or Louis CK.

Agree.  While I should not be, I am amazed at how people do not understand the difference between business and government. 

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Say what?

He has a LONG way to go before he catches up to the likes of Darren Sharper..

damn.
That Sir is a keen wit you holster

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

The NFL wouldn't have to act as a judicial body if the teams felt obligated to do their own investigations and punishments.

very good point.
Culture of winning ???

2 hours ago, Dalton said:

Agree.  While I should not be, I am amazed at how people do not understand the difference between business and government. 

I am not sure how to take this.

But I laughed out loud

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

damn.
That Sir is a keen wit you holster

very good point.
Culture of winning ???

Sort of.  It's actually really good business.

If the Bucs are the ones who suspend Jamies, they get the negative PR associated with ANY suspension short of a season, AND they look like the bad guy to Jameis' camp.  By empowering the shield to make the call, the Bucs (their owner mostly) can say, "hey, it wasn't our decision."

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

...think that some have been and are moving in that direction versus facing "Judge-Jury-Executioner" Goodell.....maybe I'm wrong, but recent arrests seem to be followed by immediate release(s)......

On June 30, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Fadingpain said:

1.  Every employer does the same thing pretty much everywhere.

2. This "odd habit" was negotiated INTO the CBA and agreed upon by the owner and the players.

3. employees can be penalized for behavior that is not in and of itself criminal.  Did you not really already understand this?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/26/2018 at 1:17 AM, Limeaid said:

Dangle  P5t5erson instead. There DBs could use practice catching balls.

Sounds more of a resume for the Phish....   Maybe he could get job as counselor on Alabama staff. 

Take a look at how many long throws he has made. Yes has to put his whole body into it but he can burn teams deep.

That is if you are interested in FACTS.

Given that your interested in facts,  I will clarify what I meant.

The deep out route is when a reciever runs deep along the sideline and breaks out toward the sideline, not in towards the center of field. You can still burn teams deep on a variety of passes that aren't deep outs, so when I said deep out I did not mean deep passes in general, or else I would have said that he can't burn teams deep.  Being able to hit a deep out is important if you want a qb who can keep the defense honest because the pattern is hard to defend in 1 on 1 coverage, so it can force teams to keep safties deep on passing downs (which opens up alot of opportinities for the offense. That is what I was talking about.Fitz's deep out is abysmal, which allows defenses to cheat by bringing safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. Teams can still be burnt deep when they do this, but the negative effect of sucking at a deep out is primarly felt on short and intermediate throws. Payton Manning did not have a very strong arm when he was in his prime, but his deep out was crazy consistent, and that consistency fed alot of his success as it opened up easy throws for him underneath. So the problem with Fitz sucking at the deep out isn't necessarily directly related to throwing deep down the field. When coordinators know that a qb sucks at a particular throw, that qb is easier, overall, to defend. There were lots of great threads on Fitz  this board diagnosing the problem correctly when he was playing, btw, and that is what I was referring to.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

....VERY sadly, stories like this will NEVER go away......these collegians are educated with a degree (COUGH), sign their mega millions deal with and "X", get weighted down with an overstuffed wallet at 22 and don't get IT......didn't Vince Young blow through 26 mil in a few short years?.....all time classic was Latrell Spreewell turning down $14 mil a year calling it an "insult"..."I have a family to feed".....and went belly up losing everything......go figure......