4 Teams that won't make the Playoffs again in 2018 (Bills #4)

I honestly think the Quarterback room is being criminally underrated, at least relative to what we've had. Yes, Tyrod was a loveable character, but the eye test usually left me frustrated. I can understand the significance of metrics and passing stats, but there were some throws and situations that Tyrod absolutely could not handle. He rarely threw players open, and his tentative disposition left a LOT of yards on the field. I believe Peterman is the closest to Tyrod with his conservative approach, relying mainly on short, safe routes like digs or slants. With that being said, McCarron is more of a risk-taker - go watch some of his film if you haven't had the chance to. I wouldn't say that he's going to be an exponential improvement to our QB room, but I genuinely believe he will do what Tyrod didn't do enough - take chances. If we can't expect at least a minor uptick in passing efficiency this year, then we truly are a pessimistic bunch. I'll just be biding my time as Allen develops his footwork and continues to build rapport with his teammates... Because HE can be the answer to all of our worries.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/4-nfl-teams-that-won%e2%80%99t-make-it-back-to-the-playoffs-in-2018/ss-AAyVPvC?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=5

4. Buffalo Bills

"This shouldn't need much of an explanation. The Bills were one of only two teams to make the postseason with a negative point-differential, and the roster looks significantly worse on paper after the offseason.

No matter who wins the Josh Allen-Nathan Peterman-AJ McCarron quarterback battle from hell, the Bills passing game will be a mess. The offensive line was picked apart in the offseason and the receiving corps leaves plenty to be desired. It's going to be all LeSean McCoy on offense in Buffalo.

The defense, which played so well early in 2017, fell off a cliff in the second half and doesn't look any better heading into the next season. Forget about the playoffs, this team could be one of the worst in the league in 2018."

Well, this about sums up what many of us already think. For me, this is a much shorter version of my own thoughts (I tend to go into long-winded, detailed rants). The only thing they got wrong was the defense part. If they understood our defensive problems mainly were due to the interior line being awful, they'd understand that at least on paper, that area has been significantly improve, which should definitely benefit everyone else.

The one other thing the blurb mentioned -

Nathan Peterman has a real chance to win the Bills' quarterback job https://wp.me/p14QSB-aDH7 

6qNnh3i4?format=jpg&name=600x314

Nathan Peterman has a real chance to win the Bills’ quarterback job

Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman looked absolutely terrible in his one and only start as a rookie last year, throwing five interceptions "

He didn't start only one game...I won't get too onto them for not remembering that, as many Bills fans seem to forget that he started the game on Hoth as well. And if he somehow earns the starting job, he must've shown something really promising in training camp.

The secondary of the bills last year was supposed to be significantly worse........and the D has a whole was supposed to regress

Till it didnt

Much like any other bubble team in the league, it'll come down to injuries.  Our starting D should be very good, but if we get hit with injuries (especially LB) we'll be in trouble.  Injuries to OL and WR would hurt a lot as well.

Just continue working on building a good overall team, and then the depth comes next.

9 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Much like any other bubble team in the league, it'll come down to injuries.  Our starting D should be very good, but if we get hit with injuries (especially LB) we'll be in trouble.  Injuries to OL and WR would hurt a lot as well.

Just continue working on building a good overall team, and then the depth comes next.

thank goodness it's the AFC East where the other 2 nobodies haven't bothered trying to build a legit team for most of the last 20 years either

• Like (+1) 2

The obsession with companies having to create endless online content has led to the miserable "journalism" product of today.

I remember in the summer of 1998 on Sports Illustrated's webpage about how the St. Louis Rams were going to be a nightmare in the upcoming season, one of the worst teams in the league.  Trent Green just broke his leg that day during a preseason game and the team was relying on some guy off the street named Kurt Warner.  Vermeil was being assailed for not wanting to trade for a quarterback with NFL experience.  He was throwing the season away.  

For some reason, that example has always remained with me on how hot takes masquerading as "news" and fact.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The obsession with companies having to create endless online content has led to the miserable "journalism" product of today.

I remember in the summer of 1998 on Sports Illustrated's webpage about how the St. Louis Rams were going to be a nightmare in the upcoming season, one of the worst teams in the league.  Trent Green just broke his leg that day during a preseason game and the team was relying on some guy off the street named Kurt Warner.  Vermeil was being assailed for not wanting to trade for a quarterback with NFL experience.  He was throwing the season away.  

For some reason, that example has always remained with me on how hot takes masquerading as "news" and fact.  

learn karate so you can kick the gun away that is held to your head and forces you to read total trash on the internet for hours every day???

if it's really that painful....

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I completely disagree about the roster being worse “on paper”. The front 7 got significantly better, which in my opinion, was our biggest weakness last season. The offensive line is a question mark but I really don’t think it’ll be as bad as people think. The QB position is either going to be a wash or an upgrade, we’ll have to wait and see

I agree... Definitely a drop in OL however, WR is a push, if anything it got better bc KB is healthy. Also, our front seven production was putrid, then we traded Dareus (not that he hurt or helped too much in that sense however, he is 340lbs of our D-line...) and our starting LB were Brown and Humber, how can our front seven NOT BE a massive upgrade. Yes, the real question mark is QB but statistically ANY 16 game starter should have a comparable line to Tyrod. Was he better than average? Yes of course but was his production unattainable by any of the three we have in stable? Absolutely not. If any of the three stay healthy I expect similar results in the W-L column but with a vastly different look to get there (scheme/gameplan/etc.). I liked Tyrod but he, E. Wood and Richie were by nooooooo means the only reasons we will go from 9-7 to something like 4 wins or less. These predictions blow my mind...

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I completely disagree about the roster being worse “on paper”. The front 7 got significantly better, which in my opinion, was our biggest weakness last season. The offensive line is a question mark but I really don’t think it’ll be as bad as people think. The QB position is either going to be a wash or an upgrade, we’ll have to wait and see

Agree, they tried hard in FA and draft to upgrade front-7.  The part about "defense, which played so well early in 2017, fell off a cliff in the second half" is a superficial view that doesn't hold up on close examination.  We had 3 awful games on D (one not all on the D) just after they traded Dareus.  After that, the coaches made adjustments, the players stepped up, or both, and we ended the season just as strong on D - less than 20 points given up in 4 of our last 6 games, 23 in a 5th, and then the Pats****. and doesn't look any better heading into the next season.   We overperformed last year on D due to coaching or scheme, and we added pieces.  Should be about the same or better on D.

I hope you're right about the OL.  I thought it was worse last year either due to scheme or players.  I wish we'd done more to upgrade it.  A decisive QB who throws quickly will help a lot.  I disagree with you slightly on the QB situation - I think it has the potential to be worse, not a wash - it could also be significantly better.

I don't think we're gonna be one of the worst teams in the league, but we may be worse than last year.  I'm chill with that.  "Good is the enemy of great" and we had to make some changes that may set us back next season to have a shot to break out of the 6 to 9 wins per year rut we've been stuck in for years.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

He didn't start only one game...I won't get too onto them for not remembering that, as many Bills fans seem to forget that he started the game on Hoth as well. And if he somehow earns the starting job, he must've shown something really promising in training camp.

I lol'ed.  

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I didn't and this is a GREAT line that made me respond. Funny and accurate. 

He started that game, played as well as any human could have during that weather, and put them in a position to win. McDermott hopefully learned NEVER to start a player that isn't ready ever again. 

I don't necessarily agree with the underlined.  I mean, unless you are comparing him to his previous start, I think that is a lot of hyperbole.

I think McDermott had an effect on the team last season. Defense was doing some special things as far as turn overs and holding teams from scoring. 

McDermott acknowledged the problem was "scoring points" so at least I know he was aware of it. The problem is now in Dabolls hands. Hopefully he has answers for that scoring problem.

I think McDermott played the hand he was delt well enough for me to not fully rule out making the playoffs again.