Star Trek: Return of Picard?

/dev/null

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'In the Pale Moonlight'.  Garak's speech to Sisko acknowledging Garak's complicity yet implicating Sisko for tacit approval of the deed remains a very powerful moment of television drama.  The story was by Peter Fields, the teleplay by Michael Taylor, who both deserve credit, but Robinson's delivery gives the scene its power.  I recall reading that episode is/was used as a discussion point in some university level classes on morality.

Excellent episode and scene.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'In the Pale Moonlight'.  Garak's speech to Sisko acknowledging Garak's complicity yet implicating Sisko for tacit approval of the deed remains a very powerful moment of television drama.  The story was by Peter Fields, the teleplay by Michael Taylor, who both deserve credit, but Robinson's delivery gives the scene its power.  I recall reading that episode is/was used as a discussion point in some university level classes on morality.

4 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

As time went on, Garak became one of my favorite characters in all of Trek. Ronald Moore has to be one of the best producers/writers in all of trek hands down. DS9 had brilliant characterization and plot lines, especially season 4 on after the show got its sea legs.

Agree that the later episodes were some of the best of Star Trek tv series except for the whole Bajorn emissary part. 

I doubt you could ever get Avery Brooks to be in any Star Trek production again.  He basically stopped doing TV post DS9.

17 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Anyone else having trouble with sound on this clip?  

I have noticed a lot of sound issues recently but appear to be all youtube so much I may stop my subscription to YouTube Red.

Interesting news about Babylon 5.  I had no idea that he felt that Paramount stole the concept.  

Straczynski had a relatively dark concept for a cartoon back in the 80s called "The Spiral Zone" that was probably too ahead of its time since the 80s had their fill of the apocalypse with movies like The Day After, Threads, etc.  

Picard's character definitely deserves a better send off, then Nemesis was. Patrick Stewart said he would only come back if there was a good reason too. And it cant just be old picard going on 1 more mission. We already had that in "All Good Things..." I'm excited to see what they can do. I would think Levar Burton and Michael Dorn should have no trouble coming back as well, if they wanted them.

Kind off surprised that a WNY connection to Star Trek and kind of a patron saint to the series has not been mentioned to this point.  There may have never been a Star Trek if Desilu Studios did not step up for production of the series.  Desilu was owned completely by Jamestown's Lucille Ball when Gene Roddenberry came calling in 1964 and it was Lucy's decision to take on Star Trek.  I've even seen pictures of her pitching in helping finish the Enterprise bridge set.  Sadly, for Lucy Star Trek never gave her the profits she had hoped for as the show periodically went over budget during the first season.  Probably was one of the straws on Desilu's back that forced a sale to Gulf and Western (Paramount) in 1967 half way through Star Trek's second season.  From there the quality slipped notably.  

On 6/26/2018 at 6:42 AM, dpberr said:

Speaking of space shows, why hasn't anybody tried to remake Babylon 5?  

On 6/28/2018 at 7:29 AM, dpberr said:

Interesting news about Babylon 5.  I had no idea that he felt that Paramount stole the concept.  

Straczynski had a relatively dark concept for a cartoon back in the 80s called "The Spiral Zone" that was probably too ahead of its time since the 80s had their fill of the apocalypse with movies like The Day After, Threads, etc.  

Once upon a time I tried to get the rights to do a remake - with the plan/intent of doing so with Straczynski producing/supervising the show. It was always a long shot, but it actually made some (very) slight headway before it went breasts up. I partnered with some heavy hitting producers, had a fun concept for the reboot which was a continuation rather than a from scratch remake, but alas no dice. The rights are split, making it complicated since Warners had no interest unless they got the full rights, and Straczynski - who wrote 90+ of the original 110 episodes - did not want to go back to that well at the time we were trying - which I understood.  

Hope he does decide someday to go back to that well... but I think they're going to have to wait awhile longer. 

(EDIT: :lol: love the filter from "t i t s up" to "breasts up" :lol: an unintentional TBDism is born.)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sad that so many of the original cast from B5 have died.

Yes after you posted I went to check and discovered that Harlan Ellison died last week (June 28, 2018) and he was "conceptual consultant" on Babylon 5 as well as writer on one of the most famous Star Trek episodes - The City on the Edge of Forever (1967).

26 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes after you posted I went to check and discovered that Harlan Ellison died last week (June 28, 2018) and he was "conceptual consultant" on Babylon 5 as well as writer on one of the most famous Star Trek episodes - The City on the Edge of Forever (1967).

Mr. Ellison had a LOT to say over the rewrites his script underwent at the hands of Roddenberry and company.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Uma Thurman as Deanna Troi...but played as Beatrix Kiddo.

That casting would be better served as Tasha Yar, as I mentioned on page 2 of this thread you idiot

On 6/26/2018 at 8:41 PM, /dev/null said:

Uma Thurman as Tasha Yar

The taxi driver as Troi

Bruce Willis' wife as Ensign Ro

Zed as Q

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:35 AM, Azalin said:

I can't see Stewart reprising Picard for an entire series, and I have a hard time imagining that any actual reboot of the TNG would be any good, no matter who is cast. I loved that show (the first couple seasons not so much) but I have no faith in anyone's ability to reboot it. I would vastly prefer to see what the next chapter might be for characters like Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, etc, provided it was new material set some time after the events of TNG.

I've been curious about the murmur over Stewart returning to the role in a movie directed by Quentin Tarantino. I don't know if that's still a thing, or even if I like that idea (but it might make for an uncharacteristically brutal Trek movie), but I haven't head anything on that front for a few months.

Whatever they do, as long as they stop redesigning Klingons, Romulans, and everyone else, and stop with the $#%@ing Kelvin time line, something with Picard might actually be good.

That’s a great idea. Let Quentin remake “Pulp Fiction” with the cast of TNG - in their costumes and makeup set in deep space. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Mr. Ellison had a LOT to say over the rewrites his script underwent at the hands of Roddenberry and company.

To be fair Ellison's script did not fit the mold of 1960's television in a lot of respects.  It was known to be budget heavy with many extras and talked about the seamy side of drug dealing which was taboo for 1960's television.  Ellison was not the only one to be dissatisfied with his Star Trek involvement which pointed to lesser writers in the last year and a half of the show as the name writers shunned the show.  Also, the budget was cut so they probably were not getting the offers dollars-wise that they felt they were due.

29 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

To be fair Ellison's script did not fit the mold of 1960's television in a lot of respects.  It was known to be budget heavy with many extras and talked about the seamy side of drug dealing which was taboo for 1960's television.  Ellison was not the only one to be dissatisfied with his Star Trek involvement which pointed to lesser writers in the last year and a half of the show as the name writers shunned the show.  Also, the budget was cut so they probably were not getting the offers dollars-wise that they felt they were due.

Agreed re: script.  If I meet him in the Great Beyond, you can bet I won't mention the 'City' script...nor 'The Starlost'.

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Agreed re: script.  If I meet him in the Great Beyond, you can bet I won't mention the 'City' script...nor 'The Starlost'.

Hopefully, there is no Star Trek section in the Great Beyond as Ellison would be very unhappy to be seated next to Roddenberry for eternity.  Going to be enough problems putting enough space between Doohan, Shatner, and Takei to keep the peace.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes and there are a couple of really good writers who are known to be real temperamental who continue to use like Alan Moore despite this.

IMO they writers need to find  some way to produce it themselves and raise the money themselves if they believe they could do a better job  but most of these people do not have talent to that but just criticize.  It is real easy to be a critical - it takes no skills.

6 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Hopefully, there is no Star Trek section in the Great Beyond as Ellison would be very unhappy to be seated next to Roddenberry for eternity.  Going to be enough problems putting enough space between Doohan, Shatner, and Takei to keep the peace.

I think Shatner will be sitting at same table as Eugene Parker and will not see Doohan or Takei.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:36 PM, frostbitmic said:

With John Travolta as #1 Riker and Bruce Willis as Data.

I'll pass on having a Klingon on the bridge, what a stupid idea.

Are you kidding me? Who else, but a Klingon, is going to calm them mother!@#$ers down and have the Wolfe be there directly?

top_50_tarantino_characters_640_27.jpg

20 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Are you kidding me? Who else, but a Klingon, is going to calm them mother!@#$ers down and have the Wolfe be there directly?

I'm gonna call a couple of hard hitting Warriors with a bat'leth and an oy'naq and get Gre'thor on your ass

26 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I'm gonna call a couple of hard hitting Warriors with a bat'leth and an oy'naq and get Gre'thor on your ass

You leave the system tonight, right now, and when you gone, you stay gone or you be gone. You lost all your Alpha Quadrant privileges.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Marcellis Wallace would be fine on the bridge but I draw the line on some ugly ass Klingon named Barf.