Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not comparing them to Jordan but each player was considered one of the best couple players in his draft class. Mayock and Scouts Inc. had Dareus  atop his class. Jeremiah had Watkins at 2. No one had those guys outside of the top 5 in their respective classes. They were blue chip prospects. We never gravitate towards blue chip players here. We never have. We fall in love with the underdog. Maybe that happens elsewhere but not anywhere else that I’ve lived besides Buffalo. In Boston they love Brady, Ortiz and Bird. In New Orleans they love Brees and Davis. We don’t fall for the HOFers like Jason Peters. We liked the idea of Mario but not the player. We hitch our wagons to the ugly duckling. 

There’s a lot of truth in this IMO. But, to say we have NEVER gravitated towards blue chip players ignores the likes of OJ, Jimbo, Bruce, Thurman, etc. Yep, those are all from the “old days”.  Has it changed as the dollars have exploded? Is the NFL culture that different? Our “heroes” are not exclusively Fred Jackson and Kyle. 

Some more recent guys have washed out on character and/or ginormous contracts (which is really the same thing). I really like the emphasis on character, though you certainly need to pick your battles there. You know, if you want to win...

My main point (if I have one) is Bills fans will hate on guys we perceive as just wanting to get out of WNY. We can be too sensitive at times. OK, McGahee made it obvious, but we are often sensitive to ALL guys seemingly putting us down. Sometimes it’s just about the money. How did Peters really feel? I don’t know, and I probably never will. I can’t hate him if it was just about being paid fairly, and we failed to make it happen. But there was a feeeling he just wanted out. I admit that I got pissed every time Bruce wanted a new contract just because someone else got one, and he felt he needed more every spring. But I never felt that was “personal” regarding WNY. Has this attitude/sensitivity gotten worse in the era of Jeeruh World? 

We need to separate players desire to make money from our insecurities about WNY. 

40 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

why do you think this?

His stick was no shorter than Tuel Time's and was longer than Brian Brohm's, Bad Bad Levi Brown's, and Cardale Jones' sticks.

Petermans start consisted of him coming cold off the bench to face former Bills OC Anthony Lynn behind an O-line that Bosa said literally didn't block him. I'll take his word for it. It might be the O-line sucked or they litteraly didn't block him take your pick it doesn't matter. I'm not going to call him a liar. The reason he started was because the Bills offense was seriously trending down from the mediocre place it was. You can't say his WRs had gotten many reps before the balls started flying at them. 

So basically he started on a very terrible low scoring offense with no rythm at all against a HC that probably knows Bills players personally. Might of been a slight factor to why it got so ugly. 

This isn't an excuse for Petermans play. Just explaining why I think it was a bit rough for a guy experiencing his first ever NFL game experience. Not a guy that was brought along, just one thrown in the middle as an afterthought. He threw those 5 interceptions. Those are on him. 

Edited by Lfod

37 minutes ago, Lfod said:

This isn't an excuse for Petermans play. Just explaining why I think it was a bit rough for a guy experiencing his first ever NFL game experience. Not a guy that was brought along, just one thrown in the middle as an afterthought. He threw those 5 interceptions. Those are on him. 

rough situation for sure. But these are the bigs and we're trying to win.

Guys not getting blocked on a play is not an uncommon occurance.  Did he say he wasn't blocked the whole game?

Every time I read this part about the guy not getting blocked it reminds me of this play. It's fun to re watch and laugh. 

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Ironically this is almost word for word the same stuff I was reading on here in 2010 about The Beast.

I think this was kind of Kirby's point.

I think part of what goes on is that a number of guys who legit have NFL talent, have not put in max effort to shine while in B'lo

Marshawn Lynch would be one example.  I don't think he GAF while he was here.  He wanted to go back to the west coast, when he did he started working to his potential.  Dareus wore out his welcome showing up out of shape and starting multiple seasons with suspensions.  He showed us flashes, but outside that 1-2 year window likewise not playing to potential (once he got that big contract)

Fans here love "Rudy" because in contrast to the guys with higher talent who slack while here, "Rudy" brings his lunchpail and works his a** off.

If Marshawn was here what he became in Seattle, if Dareus had avoided trouble and stayed at his 2013-2014 level of play, I think they'd be practically worshipped here.  Kelly, Thurman, Smith etc sure were.

If Sammy had been available more and played up to the potential he flashed, ditto

• Like (+1) 1

To what has become the larger talking point of this thread, I'll agree with Hap and others in that I love stars who want to be in Buffalo. But it's the last part that seems to be missing. I pulled for Sammy when he was Drafted, despite going all the way up to 4 - at the time the Bills believed EJ Manuel was the "guy" so they wanted to give him a WR he could pass to. Fair enough, even though we can debate the cost of securing such a guy especially when we all knew OJB would still be there. However, Sammy was hurt and he complained about not getting the ball enough....Lynch was one run in with the law away from a serious suspension, Dareus - has been well-covered I don't need to say more....but all too often in the past the Bills have Drafted guys like Maybin, where all the fans said, "whaaaaaat??" or when they Drafted Donte Whitner with Haloti Ngata sitting there for the picking. 

When the Fred Jacksons and Kyle Williams' of the the NFL world come to Buffalo and show their heart and passion to play for the area, team and fans, of course we're endeared to them because it has always felt like it was Buffalo against the world. Some athlete relish that feeling and others, want to be in the constant spotlight and feel their path has already been blazed for them. 

Jimbo, Reed, Thurman, Bruce, Talley, Tasker, Biscuit, et. al. all believed in the cause and made it their mission to put Buffalo back into preeminence with the NFL. They bonded like brothers and fought like them as well but they rallied to the idea of them against the world. Today's NFL guys - not all of them but some of them - feel they should be treated like royalty rather than servants. They want to be catered to, shined upon, given privilege and preferential treatment....other guys, want to play football at any cost and love the game. THOSE players are immediate stars for Buffalo for all of the aforementioned reasons. 

Now, if a "star" comes to Buffalo with that kind of mindset, he would be embraced and beloved for all his days. The problem is, not many exist. IMHO, that's also one reason why there is such a split on Josh Allen. Those who wanted Darnold or Mayfield saw the gravitas brought to the game by their namesake. Allen was the underdog for many reasons but has shown love for the game, for the fans, and now for Buffalo in every way possible. WHEN he becomes a star, we will love him like we did with Jimbo and Edmunds will be beloved like Biscuit or Talley and Phillips will be loved like Kyle and Tre White is already becoming a local icon...if all of it continues, this team will be loaded with "stars" and ironically, NOT because of their Draft position but because they changed the fate of a franchise with their team first mentality coupled with their immeasurable talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lfod said:

The people who think Peterman won't be the starter or be any good are probably correct. I still seen comments on the arm velocity being an issue in camp. 

I always thought AJ would be the starter because of the experience he has. I'm not one that thinks Peterman will be a starter. I just think he got the short end of the stick when it comes to starting in the NFL. That is all. I wanted to see his velocity improved but because it seems it hasn't I'm not expecting much at all. 

I never felt a disagreement with people that don't need to see another game of Peterman. I haven't heard anything that really proves any of you wrong. All I can say is that from his 5 interception game to the k.o. in the snow was a bit better.

That is totally fair and I’m in agreement. 

From Rochesterfirst.com

"Peterman went a perfect seven for seven in his first drive, ending with a 28 yard touchdown to Kelvin Benjamin. Peterman's night ended early in the second quarter. He finished nine for ten with one TD, one INT and 119 yards".

On 8/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

They will wait until the 1st preseason game for that. That is also when Allen will be elevated from the 3’s. They will eliminate one of Peterman or McCarron by the conclusion of the 1st preseason game. Then it will be dependent on Allen’s development as to whether or not he is ready for opening day. It’s 2 different things going on. Allen’s development is independent of the competition between Peterman and McCarron.

Does anything I state below ring true now?

On 8/2/2018 at 10:23 PM, BurpleBull said:

I know they aren't trying to identify 'the guy' moving forward, they feel like they've found him in Allen.

But how do figure that the play of  McCarron and Peterman have no bearing on Allen?

If Allen just plays 'okay' in the preseason but McCarron and Peterman both have off-the-charts preseason performances, then their play will impact the coaches, leading them to the likely decision of having Allen remain third in the QB pecking order---effectively affecting Allen's chances of being named opening day starter. 

On the flip side, if Allen plays just 'okay' and both McCarron and Peterman play horrendously, then chances are Allen gets by on his 'okay' showing and improves his chances of being named starter.

I think each guy is trying to look his best and win the starting job, I don't think either McCarron or Peterman is trying to ward off Allen in particular or losing sleep over nightmares of Josh Allen leapfrogging the two of them on the depth chart.

Allen getting on the field sooner rather than later depends on how good he looks when measured against both McCarron and Peterman.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:56 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that he was a bad 5th round pick. I cannot comprehend how some people are okay with him playing? It’s like battered wife syndrome. I didn’t need to see more of Tuel or Brohm or EJ either. I certainly don’t need to see more of Peterman either. If he makes the team, fine. If he doesn’t, fine.

I just don’t understand why Bills fans always fall in love with Rudy? It’s not just Peterman. It’s Jasper, Hogan, Chandler, Gillislee, etc... Not all of them are horrible but we love those guys. We want them all to be Kyle or Fred Jackson. We hated Marshawn, Dareus and Sammy. I just don’t get that mentality? Every other fan base, in every other city loves stars. We love Rudy. I love Michael Jordan. I love Tiger Woods. I love LeBron James. I want dominance not guys overcoming long odds to be below average.

That's what I love about us most.

• Like (+1) 3

Peterman played very well. It's inarguable. It's also inarguable that all Peterman showed was what he does well. We knew all this already. He's very good, and his fans overvalue, the idea that he can drop back and throw a 10 yard pass. He had one very nice rollout play, his best of the game, where he made a great pass to KB who made a great catch on the sidelines. 

But Peterman has two glaring fatal flaws and he did zero in this game to alleviate the worry. He doesn't handle a strong rush well, and he doesn't get the ball downfield, and he doesn't have the arm strength. He didn't do one thing to disprove his downfall. Actually he stared down his receivers a lot, and his INT was well behind the intended receiver.

McCarron showed better than Peterman. He did a lot of things QBs have to do to succeed in this league. He delivered the ball downfield. He went to his second and third reads. He stepped up in the pocket excellent. He was steady and yet still got the ball downfield.

if you're a coach, the most impressive QB on the field, regardless of stats, was Allen. He showed all kinds of talent in ten different QB qualities. He was mostly great against the rush. He scrambled and ran great. He threw the ball downfield. He should have had two complete bombs. His TD was ridiculous. He even showed touch. For his first game, with guys like Foster, who !@#$ed him several times (and I hoped was going to make the team but was awful), Allen was very, very impressive. He should be playing.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman played very well. It's inarguable. It's also inarguable that all Peterman showed was what he does well. We knew all this already. He's very good, and his fans overvalue, the idea that he can drop back and throw a 10 yard pass. He had one very nice rollout play, his best of the game, where he made a great pass to KB who made a great catch on the sidelines. 

But Peterman has two glaring fatal flaws and he did zero in this game to alleviate the worry. He doesn't handle a strong rush well, and he doesn't get the ball downfield, and he doesn't have the arm strength. He didn't do one thing to disprove his downfall. Actually he stared down his receivers a lot, and his INT was well behind the intended receiver.

McCarron showed better than Peterman. He did a lot of things QBs have to do to succeed in this league. He delivered the ball downfield. He went to his second and third reads. He stepped up in the pocket excellent. He was steady and yet still got the ball downfield.

if you're a coach, the most impressive QB on the field, regardless of stats, was Allen. He showed all kinds of talent in ten different QB qualities. He was mostly great against the rush. He scrambled and ran great. He threw the ball downfield. He should have had two complete bombs. His TD was ridiculous. He even showed touch. For his first game, with guys like Foster, who !@#$ed him several times (and I hoped was going to make the team but was awful), Allen was very, very impressive. He should be playing.  

Explain please.

This post reeks of desperation.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

Explain please.

This post reeks of desperation.

It's obvious.  The one thing that Peterman does very, very well is read the defense pre-snap, drop back, know where he wants to go with it, and throw a ten yard strike.  That's the one and only thing he does very well and he did that seven times. The lob for the TD was more than ten yards but still an easy throw. It was a very good throw but easy. 

He made one great play, rolling out and throwing a ten yard pass on the run that KB also made a great catch on. That was awesome pass by Nate. But it's still a ten yard throw. That's what he does great. There are 20 other things a QB has to do to be successful. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The quarterbacks played really well tonight. All of them had very solid performances. I was never an Allen guy but LOVED what I saw from him. He made some throws that were special.

Both little and big things stood out to me. He really played well a lot of ways if you count what he was given on each snap. I was very impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Great observations on what seperates McCarron from Peterman and I was in total agreement with the post all the way up to your last 4 words. 

Edited by Figster

On 6/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, Kelly the Dog said:

A quarterback with all of the deficiencies that Gunner lays out CAN look great in OTAs because none of those deficiencies are exposed because it’s not played at game speed, with real pressure from the D. 

That was your response to this:

On 6/13/2018 at 3:19 AM, GunnerBill said:

Sure. The summary is I think he has a limited arm and as a result benefited from the cliche that seems to follow limited arm strength Quarterbacks "he is smart and accurate". But I don't think a proper evaluation of his college tape really demonstrates that accuracy. 

He played in a gimmick offense, his ball placement was bad, his arm strength not NFL level and he panicked under pressure, tends to stare down the rush and let the ball go. The INT he threw over the middle in the Chargers game that is behind his receiver and sailed.... that throw is on his college tape multiple times. 

I think they were 100% and totally wrong to draft Nathan Peterman, yes. But that doesn't mean I hope he throws 5 picks every game to prove me right. I have zero interest in being right. But this is a forum for opinions. 

I gave my opinion on Peterman before the 2017 draft happened, before he was a Bill. It is up to him to do something to change it. Even his biggest supporter would have to accept that a good OTA and mini camp is not that. 

So please don't try to now sell that Peterman's strengths have always been evident to all.

10 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

That was your response to this:

So please don't try to now sell that Peterman's strengths have always been evident to all.

Nonsense. If you asked anyone here what they like about Peterman 90-95% of them would say that he knows where he wants to go with the ball, makes quick decisions, and throws an accurate pass. 

Thats what everyone thinks and that's what he does and that's what he did today. 

If you ask people if he has a strong arm, does he throw the ball downfield a lot, does he go to his third and fourth read, etc, they would say no. 

• Like (+1) 1