[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

59 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Generational Talent that #26 has is beginning to show.

You can tell he’s getting more and more comfortable every game he plays. We are starting to see more frequent flashes of his offensive talent. 

It’s actually really impressive how quickly he’s adapting to the NHL. Especially as an 18yr old defenseman playing top 4 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Game 6 vs.VGK at 10 PM ET on 10/16

The positives about this game go beyond this game. Dahlin is steadily showing that he has a lot in his talented basket to offer. Ullmark can be a good backup with a brighter future down the line. For me what was most encouraging is that Skinner produced. You can almost see and feel his frustration in the prior games. Hopefully, this will take some of the pressure off of him and allow him to play his freewheeling style of game. 

Housely playing Sheary, instead of Skinner, on the Eichel line was the right thing to do. And putting Skinner with Mittlestadt might accelerate the development of the younger player. Mittlestadt has a lot of developing to do but from what I have seen so far he doesn't seem out of place. 

As K-9 and others have previously stated it's important that the Sabres play well enough in the first third of the season to stay in the playoff hunt. Being out of contention before the first half of the season is over is depressing for the team and the fans. When your younger players play meaningful games they are more likely to improve at a faster rate in that more competitive environment. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The positives about this game go beyond this game. Dahlin is steadily showing that he has a lot in his talented basket to offer. Ullmark can be a good backup with a brighter future down the line. For me what was most encouraging is that Skinner produced. You can almost see and feel his frustration in the prior games. Hopefully, this will take some of the pressure off of him and allow him to play his freewheeling style of game. 

Housely playing Sheary, instead of Skinner, on the Eichel line was the right thing to do. And putting Skinner with Mittlestadt might accelerate the development of the younger player. Mittlestadt has a lot of developing to do but from what I have seen so far he doesn't seem out of place. 

As K-9 and others have previously stated it's important that the Sabres play well enough in the first third of the season to stay in the playoff hunt. Being out of contention before the first half of the season is over is depressing for the team and the fans. When your younger players play meaningful games they are more likely to improve at a faster rate in that more competitive environment. 

Why I tell My son to stick behind me when skiing!  LoL... Wanna learn to throw Yourself off down the mountain! Stick with the old guy!  Want meaningful runs, hang behind the old man and learn.  Yet, there He goes whizzing by:

Okay... Sorry for the shameless LAMP & view bait.  After that Coffee Run He was dragging this tired old body through the moguls and trees.  Totally meaningless!  LoL...

First 1/3 of Season = Coffee Run

Last 2/3 of Season = Moguls

Playoffs = Moguls and glades

Just don't hit a tree!

LoL...

? ?

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why I tell My son to stick behind me when skiing!  LoL... Wanna learn to throw Yourself off down the mountain! Stick with the old guy!  Want meaningful runs, hang behind the old man and learn.  Yet, there He goes whizzing by:

Okay... Sorry for the shameless LAMP & view bait.  After that Coffee Run He was dragging this tired old body through the moguls and trees.  Totally meaningless!  LoL...

First 1/3 of Season = Coffee Run

Last 2/3 of Season = Moguls

Playoffs = Moguls and glades

Just don't hit a tree!

LoL...

? ?

Dads can be enjoyable (and tolerable) to ski with assuming that they are doing their Pater duty by paying for the ski run. You can laugh at your son being exhausted on one of the ski runs but in the not too distant future you will be the one preferring to stay by the Chalet fire place with a brew while the youngsters are whizzing done the slopes.  :devil:

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

I think it has been @plenzmd1 who has said repeatedly that historically speaking, 10/31 is the key date...if your team isn't at least at the fringe of playoff contention by then, the likelihood they will get there over the rest of the season drops precipitously.  The next 16 days (7 games) are YUUUUUGE.

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

I said it over on Sabrespace last week that once Skinner gets one, you can blink and he'll be up to about 6.  It just always seems to go that way with goal scorers who start out in a funk.  The second they finally score, the flood gates open.  We'll see where he goes now because that mini-funk was not due to a lack of chances.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

I think it has been @plenzmd1 who has said repeatedly that historically speaking, 10/31 is the key date...if your team isn't at least at the fringe of playoff contention by then, the likelihood they will get there over the rest of the season drops precipitously.  The next 16 days (7 games) are YUUUUUGE.

What I find encouraging is that I foresee a few of our young players getting better as the season moves forward. Dahlin is an obvious example of that where right from the start he fits in and to say the least his talents are obvious. Although Middlestadt is not thriving from a production standpoint he clearly is not out of place as a player in the NHL. I'm encouraged by his play.

Skinner is a player who doesn't fall into the mold of upside potential. That's because he is already a finished product. The issue for him is fitting in with his line mates  and living up to his sniper reputation, something he has done for years. So when he gets going that is going to provide a boost to a team that isn't a very prolific scoring team. 

I'm not going to get carried away but from what I have seen so far at this very early stage I do consider this a fringe contending wildcard team. Having a good start is the key to staying in the hunt. 

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

I said it over on Sabrespace last week that once Skinner gets one, you can blink and he'll be up to about 6.  It just always seems to go that way with goal scorers who start out in a funk.  The second they finally score, the flood gates open.  We'll see where he goes now because that mini-funk was not due to a lack of chances.

What has hurt Skinner is not playing on the top line. He probably would be scoring more goals on that line but would have a distorting effect on Jack's play. With Skinner on the line Jack would try to pass more than shoot. It would be a boon for Skinner but a handicap to Jack's goal scoring potential. I believe that Housely made a very smart move by putting Shearing on his line instead of Skinner. 

The upside of having Skinner on a line centered by Mittlestadt is that his presence is going to help accelerate the development of the young center. As I said in a prior post although Mittlestadt's numbers aren't eye popping he doesn't appear to be out of place. This is a young player who like Reinhart has great instincts. If this line gets in sync then our top two lines make this team very competitive. 

Edited by JohnC