Political And Racial Agendas Ruining Sports

I do not care which political lie side of the aisle you all fall on (generally the political lies and racial topics are cherry picked and are just spun differently to trick and divide us all) but the commercials, the articles, the tweets, from all parts of the sports world: I feel like political and racial agendas are taking over sports and quite honestly, are starting to turn me away from watching. I have found myself just turning off events I would normally watch with interest. I just can't take the cherry picking on both sides anymore.

Don't we all love sports to ESCAPE from these topics?  Enough is enough!

If this is more for PPP I apologize, just figured it was kind of off topic.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good post.  Don't disagree with any of this.

Thanks man and this is more about the fatigue I have over politics and racial topics (not to suggest that they don't have their place in the world) but it is running over sports.

If it continues, it will start hurting the wallets of teams and players if they aren't careful.

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Trying to escape or ignore politics is exactly how we ended up with our current administration. 

We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. 

Two completely different things: The inability of the one political side to come to grips with the 2016 election loss has in a major way created this.

Each person had the same rules. Deal with it, and that goes for BOTH sides.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Like A Mofo said:

Two completely different things: The inability of the other sides to come to grips with the loss has in a major way created this.

Each person had the same rules. Deal with it, and that goes for BOTH sides.

Sure, but now athletes feel there are enough issues that they need to make statements in the public eye. 
While I sometimes disagree with the platform, the content is pretty damning. 

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Sure, but now athletes feel there are enough issues that they need to make statements in the public eye. 
While I sometimes disagree with the platform, the content is pretty damning. 

If your girl Hillary won the same way Trump did let's be fair: 80 percent of this isn't happening.

And not suggesting right wing Neo Con crazies are any better either.

i tape all the games and fast forward to the opening kickoff/faceoff/tipoff and fast forward from the end of the play right to the beginning of the next play.

haven't watched an ad voluntarily for 25 years now

i can't bother to watch replay reviews, it's all a farce and they call whatever the !@#$ they want to no matter what is plain on the screen.

Edited by row_33

6 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

If your girl Hillary won the same way Trump did let's be fair: 80 percent of this isn't happening.

And not suggesting right wing Neo Con crazies are any better either.

Not my girl. What do you know of my political views? I'm not getting into "what if scenarios". 

Sports are getting political because the status quo is no longer good enough, and things need to change.

Do you think Malcolm Jenkins was blowing smoke yesterday when he talked about youth incarceration rates? 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

haven't heard a word out of puppetheads like Dan Marino for 25 years

haven't been aware of a protest either or a political angle

it's heaven

Edited by row_33

I may have to become a NASCAR fan

NFL is full of political content

NBA - absolutely

MLB - Yeah, to a certain extent

NCAA sports are now politicized

Golf - Sometimes

NHL - I've heard some

Soccer - Maybe not, although the governing body has political motivations

Shoot, car racing might be the only pure sport left.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Trying to escape or ignore politics is exactly how we ended up with our current administration. 

We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. 

Wait, I thought that's how we ended up with our previous one? What caused that mess?

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

NBA - absolutely

Golf - Sometimes

NHL - I've heard some

I heard NASCAR Drivers all lean left. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

NBA - absolutely

Golf - Sometimes

NHL - I've heard some

Some political talk from the NHL?  The only thing I can think of that comes even remotely close to that is talk over the value of the canadian dollar.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Sports are getting political because the status quo is no longer good enough, and things need to change.

Yeah, about that.  The status quo has not been "good enough" for a very long time.

It's no coincidence that suddenly now we've decided that we need wedge issues to divide the country and the media is putting it out on full blast.

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i tape all the games and fast forward to the opening kickoff/faceoff/tipoff and fast forward from the end of the play right to the beginning of the next play.

haven't watched an ad voluntarily for 25 years now

i can't bother to watch replay reviews, it's all a farce and they call whatever the !@#$ they want to no matter what is plain on the screen.

We try to delay the game watching if possible a good hour or so. For exactly the same reason. The NFL broadcasts passed the tipping point long ago for tedium. At least if you have to watch live.

The problem is if you are into fantasy you want to know the scoring in real time. But with that, you just switch to a game that has some of your players in it during the Bills game commercials. Hell, sometimes I end up watching more of those games than the Bills one. Depending on what the Bills are up to that weekend that is. 

2 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Yeah, about that.  The status quo has not been "good enough" for a very long time.

It's no coincidence that suddenly now we've decided that we need wedge issues to divide the country and the media is putting it out on full blast.

The media certainly plays a part, as does the current president and lame duck representatives in Congress. 

So do we. Generally, people are disengaged from politics and uninterested in having tough conversations about how to improve things. 

There is no easy answer.