Jets 4th Round TE Herndon - DUI Major Accident

H2o

8 hours ago, H2o said:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article212475989.html

No word on whether he was hurt yet, but he plowed a 76 year old man's vehicle and destroyed a railroad motor car. Scary stuff for all parties involved. Irresponsible drinking and driving do not mix. 

Don't leave out texting/cell phone usage and driving too! 

It's at least as dangerous as driving drunk....and actually perfectly legal in some parts of this country!

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Augie said:

YIKES! I hope he understands how lucky he is nobody got hurt and figures out how Uber works. Who is surprised this happened at 4:45am? Nuthin’ good after midnight.....

....good call bud......and thank God no one was seriously hurt......back in the early 80's, hockey player named Steve Dykstra played for the Rochester Americans.....Buffalo offered him an NHL contract that paid him $3,000+ every two weeks, big money then.....knew him well.......said "I'm 21 years old, 3000 miles from home living in an apartment with 3 grand to spend every two weeks".....bought himself a BMW and went end over end drunk out of his mind.......was not seriously injured but was never the same again.....bounced around in the lower minors until the mid 90's.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Donte Stallworth is the first person I thought of reading this. He should be brought in to speak on his incident at the Rookie Symposium. They should go into great detail about what happened. I'm sure he could use the cash these days. 

If anyone should be making money from a drunk running down and killing someone it should be the family of the victim. 

However, rewarding a guy for killing someone does seem like an NFL thing to do.

9 hours ago, H2o said:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article212475989.html

No word on whether he was hurt yet, but he plowed a 76 year old man's vehicle and destroyed a railroad motor car. Scary stuff for all parties involved. Irresponsible drinking and driving do not mix. 

Thank God the 76 year old man involved was reported to only suffer a gashed and bruised arm.  Could have been so much worse.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If anyone should be making money from a drunk running down and killing someone it should be the family of the victim. 

However, rewarding a guy for killing someone does seem like an NFL thing to do.

The guy ran out in front of him trying to catch a bus. Stallworth was intoxicated beyond the legal limit, yes, but it's not like he ran onto a sidewalk and mowed the guy down. He probably wouldn't have been able to stop completely sober. He also was required to pay a settlement to the victim's family, sold the home he had bought for his mother to do so, and expressed genuine remorse over the situation. He has to live with it every day of his life. We're all dirty in one way or another, just not the same as some others. It doesn't make you or I any better. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The guy ran out in front of him trying to catch a bus. Stallworth was intoxicated beyond the legal limit, yes, but it's not like he ran onto a sidewalk and mowed the guy down. He probably wouldn't have been able to stop completely sober. He also was required to pay a settlement to the victim's family, sold the home he had bought for his mother to do so, and expressed genuine remorse over the situation. He has to live with it every day of his life. We're all dirty in one way or another, just not the same as some others. It doesn't make you or I any better. 

Sorry, but nobody should be able to profit over the death of another when they, themself, were the cause.

58 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Sorry, but nobody should be able to profit over the death of another when they, themself, were the cause.

As pointed out by another poster, he's not doing bad for himself now. Would it make you feel better if he did it for free? Either way, I think his story could be an important one for the youngins coming into the league to hear from his own mouth. 

8 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Texting and driving should be the same punishment as a DUI.

Texting and driving is actually worse than drinking and driving.  One cannot look at the road whilst texting.  Both are very bad; but texting takes eyes completely off the road.  The texters are who made me want to stop riding a motorcycle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Texting and driving is actually worse than drinking and driving.  One cannot look at the road whilst texting.  Both are very bad; but texting takes eyes completely off the road.  The texters are who made me want to stop riding a motorcycle.

One of the reasons why I sold my Harley a few years back. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

One of the reasons why I sold my Harley a few years back. 

Sucks, doesn't it?  I miss riding so much.  My son (15) begged me to stop.  I commute 55 miles (one way) to work every day.  Seeing the number of drivers who are texting scared me (as a bike rider).  It became a lot less fun and a lot more scary.  Once the scales tipped to the scary side, I made up my mind and sold my bike.  Sad.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I disagree that texting is worse than impaired driving,  but I do agree that both are extremely bad and have the ability to wreck lives. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Lfod said:

It's like playing a game of Russian Roulette with people that didn't know they were in the game. That's what bugs me is that it puts other peoples lives at risk. 

Can we keep Russians out of this ?

7 hours ago, H2o said:

As pointed out by another poster, he's not doing bad for himself now. Would it make you feel better if he did it for free? Either way, I think his story could be an important one for the youngins coming into the league to hear from his own mouth. 

You mean the story, to paraphrase your own words, that it didn’t matter whether he was sober or drunk and it would have happened anyway?

Nah. Let the family come in and talk to the players and tell them what impact it made on them.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You mean the story, to paraphrase your own words, that it didn’t matter whether he was sober or drunk and it would have happened anyway?

Nah. Let the family come in and talk to the players and tell them what impact it made on them.

Wow..... Have you even read up on what actually happened or are you just determined to carry this flag on your high horse for whatever reason? He said he knew he was wrong. He said he sees the images and feels the sickening feeling every day. I think it would be good for them to hear. You can think and rationalize it however you want. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Drunk driving is far more lethal.  3 times more people killed by drunk drivers than texters. 

25% of motorcycle deaths involved riders who were legally intoxicated at the time.  16% weren't wearing helmets.

Should have kept your bike.

• Like (+1) 1