NFL Sunday Ticket

Just placed my yearly call

customer since 2002, but not an AT&T customer.

First CSR from India offered $16 credit per month for a year. I asked to be transferred to customer loyalty and initially received the same $16/month offer.  I then told her I'd have to discuss with my wife, bills are tight and my wife wants to cancel DTV altogether and cut the "cord" yada yada....  She puts me on hold for 10 seconds and comes back with $55/month credit for 12 months, no contract.  I then asked to have my account noted with that offer as I still have to discuss with my wife.  I'll call back later today or tomorrow to see if I can do better, but if not I guess that's not too bad.

22 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

PSA: Beware the Fine Print: As part of my re-upping with DTV, I was given a "free upgrade" to the Genie 2 box.  Tech came out Monday to install, as described in an earlier post, but found out my protection plan goes from $8.99/month to $20.99/month with the Genie 2.  I checked and it's there in the fine print, but of course the fine rep who gave me the "free" upgrade failed to mention that.

So, I'll start the merry-go-round again with a call to DTV tomorrow...good gawd, I hate all this.

Holy smokes! I had called a few weeks ago and accepted the free upgrade but after reading all of the issues with Genie 2 I ended up calling and cancelling.  This validates it even more.  That same call i got the $60 dollars off for a year offer but very little on the Sunday Ticket so i decided to wait on ST ( I think it was $12 off per 6 payments)

Called back a few days ago and they had nothing new for ST but offered me a slew of other freebies - MLB Extra Innings, Showtime & Cinemax (i already have HBO),  and the SportPack which would give me MSG bufflalo.  I accepted all of that but still didn't pull trigger on ST.  When i got home none of the above had been added.  Called back and did the upset customer act and the girl was able to get me $150 off Sunday ticket and free MLB Extra Innings which i accepted happily in lieu of movie channels and SportPack.  Tried to get upgraded to ST Max but was out of offers.  Will continue to try for that before the season starts.  Overall - not as great as it has been in the past but pleased with what i got.

A few things i learned that may help your cause.

1.  If they offer something but you're not really sure - don't say 'decline' - say you'd like to think about it.  I was told a 'decline' would remove the offer completely whereas the latter will keep it in the system in case you call back

2. The Loyalty CSR's have a discretionary weekly allowance to dole out discounts.  My CSR said she only had $150 left in her bucket for the week and she used it all on my call (it wasn't an ST specific offer)

3.  She said they usually have discount offers for ST and/or ST Max on the first Sunday of games.  That's 9/9 if you hadn't already double circled that on your calendars yet ?

4.  She also said they often start offering RedZone standalone around the start of the season instead of having to pony up for full ST Max if that's all you're interested in.

5. The $60 off for a year discount that I and many of you received is extendable to a second year (at least for me it was).  So ask about that, have them document, and call back next year to reinstate. There is no extension of contract for this offer.

Happy hunting.

17 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Holy smokes! I had called a few weeks ago and accepted the free upgrade but after reading all of the issues with Genie 2 I ended up calling and cancelling.  This validates it even more.  That same call i got the $60 dollars off for a year offer but very little on the Sunday Ticket so i decided to wait on ST ( I think it was $12 off per 6 payments)

Called back a few days ago and they had nothing new for ST but offered me a slew of other freebies - MLB Extra Innings, Showtime & Cinemax (i already have HBO),  and the SportPack which would give me MSG bufflalo.  I accepted all of that but still didn't pull trigger on ST.  When i got home none of the above had been added.  Called back and did the upset customer act and the girl was able to get me $150 off Sunday ticket and free MLB Extra Innings which i accepted happily in lieu of movie channels and SportPack.  Tried to get upgraded to ST Max but was out of offers.  Will continue to try for that before the season starts.  Overall - not as great as it has been in the past but pleased with what i got.

A few things i learned that may help your cause.

1.  If they offer something but you're not really sure - don't say 'decline' - say you'd like to think about it.  I was told a 'decline' would remove the offer completely whereas the latter will keep it in the system in case you call back

2. The Loyalty CSR's have a discretionary weekly allowance to dole out discounts.  My CSR said she only had $150 left in her bucket for the week and she used it all on my call (it wasn't an ST specific offer)

3.  She said they usually have discount offers for ST and/or ST Max on the first Sunday of games.  That's 9/9 if you hadn't already double circled that on your calendars yet ?

4.  She also said they often start offering RedZone standalone around the start of the season instead of having to pony up for full ST Max if that's all you're interested in.

5. The $60 off for a year discount that I and many of you received is extendable to a second year (at least for me it was).  So ask about that, have them document, and call back next year to reinstate. There is no extension of contract for this offer.

Happy hunting.

Good post.

The Genie 2 has been stable...so far...but if they don't waive the protection plan hike, I'll tell them the thing stinks and come back with the original box.

This has been a good and informative thread.  I've been a big fan of DTV since I first got it in 2000, once claimed it was the best consumer decision I ever made, but they've really soured on me this year.

Edited by Ned Flanders

I have been following this forum religiously for the better part of two years. Finally created an account. My first post is to share my, so far, unfruitful experience with DIRECTV. Called back in early July for the first time. Went great, said I was considering cancelling because Spectrum has a good streaming offer coming up (no they don’t). CSR had no trouble giving me the NFL Sunday Ticket for free, but she couldn’t give the max package for free. The max package upgrade was going to be 17.99 a month and she gave me a $30 monthly credit to compensate for it. Awesome, so all in all my bill was to decrease by $12 a month and I had the Sunday Ticket Max package. 

Not so simple. On my next bill I was being charged full price for the max package, 65.99 a month I believe. To make matters worse, I was also being charged the 17.99 monthly upgrade fee. Called in and all the CSR could do was cancel the Sunday Ticket and have it refunded. Also, since the $30 credit was applied they couldn’t even up it to a $60 credit because my promotion credit slot was taken up. No idea if there is any truth to this or if he was just blowing smoke. Moral of this call, always get the reps name, the date and time of the call, and a confirmation number.

Since then I have called twice in August and been offered pretty much nothing. $5 auto pay credit, free movie channels for 6 months, and free rest of the season for MLB extra innnings. I declined all these offers. Hoping to have more luck on the first Sunday of the NFL season. 

2 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Good post.

The Genie 2 has been stable...so far...but if they don't waive the protection plan hike, I'll tell them the thing stinks and come back with the original box.

This has been a good and informative thread.  I've been a big fan of DTV since I first go it in 2000, once claimed it was the best consumer decision I ever made, but they've really soured on me this year.

I am with you Ned. Been on and off for DIRECTV for the past 15 years but always because I couldn’t have them where I had moved. Have loved the service this time around, but their customer service has absolutely tanked since ATT acquired them. I have been actively researching online streaming plans in case DIRECTV does not budge on the Sunday Ticket price. 

On 8/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, nucci said:

A lot of issues with Genie 2...every time I call they try to get me to agree to install it....

I have the genie 2 and have also had issues. Resetting the tower is the easiest way to fix an issue. I spoke with a tech a few weeks back and he told me there's a software upgrade coming in September, so hopefully that'll help. 

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I have the genie 2 and have also had issues. Resetting the tower is the easiest way to fix an issue. I spoke with a tech a few weeks back and he told me there's a software upgrade coming in September, so hopefully that'll help. 

Cool, thanks....I'll keep checking...haven't switched yet

Edited by nucci

Did the yearly dance.

Been with Directtv for about 15 years, and with AT&T cellular for 6 months.

Asked for retention right off the bat, don’t haggle with the regulars reps, they can’t do anything.  At first she offered me internet for $50/month and full boat ST Max with a $55 credit.  Nope.  Told her don’t want the internet.

Spoke for about 5 minutes, and she came back with:

ST Max - $65 per month

$55 credit on bill for 12 months

$5 credit per month on Cinemax 

Comes out out to a total of $300 credit over 12 months, with ST Max totally free.  Did a bit better than last year when I called and they proactively had given me ST Max for free, no other credits.

Thing is, some sort of credit is available for al DTV customers, whether it be MLB, NHL, or free movie channels.  Just have to ask.  I also call Time Warner/Spectrum yearly and ask for better rates, they also will offer credits.  Most difficult is cell phone bills, but call every 6 months at least to see if there are better plans that’ll save you a couple of bucks.

Update on call back today.

Original offer yesterday was $55 of bill for 12 months

Today I was able to get $16.50/month off ST Max and $60 off for 12 months. 

One option she gave me was to completely cancel today and call back before the season and I might get an even better offer, but I decided to just take what I could get now.  Either way she did recommend to always cancel the package after the season so that it doesn't auto renew as it puts you in better position to negotiate and get enhanced discounts in the future.

9 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Update on call back today.

Original offer yesterday was $55 of bill for 12 months

Today I was able to get $16.50/month off ST Max and $60 off for 12 months. 

One option she gave me was to completely cancel today and call back before the season and I might get an even better offer, but I decided to just take what I could get now.  Either way she did recommend to always cancel the package after the season so that it doesn't auto renew as it puts you in better position to negotiate and get enhanced discounts in the future.

That's what I got as well.....I think some movie channels for a few months too.

Finally worked up the psyche to make the call. 10 minutes with first guy, offered me $12 a month of Sunday Ticket..I then asked for cancellation department.

Get on the phone with a woman and explain my frustration as  I have Sling at a second home, online DVR., 5 logins...and if I add in HBO and Showtime( what I have extra with DTV) all that for $60 a month..and for the equivalent I pay close to $145 with DTV. Also added in I am Bills season ticket holder, watch 8 Bills game a year on the Ticket..hard to justify $1400 a year to watch 8 Bills games.And all that is absolutely true.  She was gone 5 minutes, came back and said $60 off Bill for a year, Sunday Ticket and Max for free..i said done!

20  minute call total

Maybe be prepared with those numbers..and she did say promos get better closer to season.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Don't know.

I'm 99.9% sure they do a recap of each game broken down over 40 mins or so. At least I know they used to. Pretty sure it's a few hrs after the game. Check the guide on game days. They show them on the Sunday ticket channels 

On 8/23/2018 at 2:35 PM, Ned Flanders said:

Good post.

This has been a good and informative thread.  I've been a big fan of DTV since I first got it in 2000, once claimed it was the best consumer decision I ever made, but they've really soured on me this year.

I got the genie 2 and my protection plan stayed at 8.99. My technician offered me the whole 21.99 upgrade thing and I declined. Apparently that protects other devices like TVS and such. Perhaps the technician tried to screw you over by getting you to sign that agreement? It was right next to where I had sign for the upgrade of equipment. 

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I got the genie 2 and my protection plan stayed at 8.99. My technician offered me the whole 21.99 upgrade thing and I declined. Apparently that protects other devices like TVS and such. Perhaps the technician tried to screw you over by getting you to sign that agreement? It was right next to where I had sign for the upgrade of equipment. 

Well, I don't recall being presented with an option...my bad, I guess.

12 hours ago, mattynh said:

People actually pay for the protection plan?

I actually did once.  I was having major issues bought the plan had them fix and replace everything and than dropped it.   Actually the CSR was the one who suggested it