Cavs, Bills, and Situational Awareness

I know that last night's game is being discussed in the NBA thread, but watching JR Smith's lack of situational awareness got me thinking about times that the Bills showed good situational awareness, or lack there of in the past.

The good:
- Fred Jackson not scoring against the Pats to eat the clock and eventually kick a GW FG
- Fred Jackson purposely dropping a dump-down @ the end of the game to preserve time and eventually drive down to win game against maybe the Raiders or Vikings?

The bad:
- Kyle Orton's 3&1 slide behind the LOS to end our drive and kill momentum against Broncos
- Tyrod taking the sack to put us out of FG range in playoff game while trying to extend the play, instead of just throwing it away
- Our special teams unit being unable to get a FG off at end of half against the Pats because our lineman got into a scuffle.

I realize everyone is a Monday morning quarterback, but I have to say that the more I think about it, the bad situational awareness plays stand out more to me than the good ones.

What say you?
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:
I know that last night's game is being discussed in the NBA thread, but watching JR Smith's lack of situational awareness got me thinking about times that the Bills showed good situational awareness, or lack there of in the past.

The good:
- Fred Jackson not scoring against the Pats to eat the clock and eventually kick a GW FG
- Fred Jackson purposely dropping a dump-down @ the end of the game to preserve time and eventually drive down to win game against maybe the Raiders or Vikings?

The bad:
- Kyle Orton's 3&1 slide behind the LOS to end our drive and kill momentum against Broncos
- Tyrod taking the sack to put us out of FG range in playoff game while trying to extend the play, instead of just throwing it away
- Our special teams unit being unable to get a FG off at end of half against the Pats because our lineman got into a scuffle.

I realize everyone is a Monday morning quarterback, but I have to say that the more I think about it, the bad situational awareness plays stand out more to me than the good ones.

What say you?

In 1997 the Bills played a game in KC and late in the game were driving and Eric Moulds caught a pass near the sideline and the rockhead tried to run a defender over for an extra yard instead of getting out of bounds and sealed the game and his rep as a dumb player.   Man he was all-around awful those first two years.   At this time in 1998 he was everyone's surprise-not-surprise cut.   

Not to bust your bubble or anything..but Fred tried like hell to score, thought he did , celebrated that he did..and only after the challenge did he(and the Bills) realize it was good he did not.

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 1997 the Bills played a game in KC and late in the game were driving and Eric Moulds caught a pass near the sideline and the rockhead tried to run a defender over for an extra yard instead of getting out of bounds and sealed the game and his rep as a dumb player.   Man he was all-around awful those first two years.   At this time in 1998 he was everyone's surprise-not-surprise cut.   

who was the other receiver ...maybe Woody who recently took on a DB to gain a useless extra yard and knocked himself out of the next two games

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 3

First one that pops in to my head, probably because it was brought up in another thread at some point not too long ago, McKelvin returning the kickoff against NE on Monday Night Football. If you insist on returning it, you better have two hands on it and go down easy, neither of which he did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

The speed of thinking required in professional sports is beyond mere mortal comprehension.

they don't think, they react, some create

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

who was the other receiver ...maybe Woody who recently took on a DB to gain a useless extra yard and knocked himself out of the next two games

Speaking of useless yards, I hate when the WR fights for another 6 inches allowing time for the 2nd and 3rd defender to arrive and strip the ball. Sometimes it’s just best to GO DOWN! 

The specific play that comes to my mind is Trent Edwards trying to reach the ball out for a first down like he was crossing the goal line. This did not end the play of course, and the other team (Dolphins?) just took the ball from him. It looked like he was handing it to them!!!  THAT was lack of situational awareness. 

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Does this mean there is hope for Zay Jones? The next Eric Moulds?

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sometimes it’s just best to GO DOWN! 

I would say this is 100% my most used phrase during any Bills game. Othet people scream"get Him"( most annoying thing at a football game in my mind) I scream GO DOWN!!!! I 100% agree with you..now I am off to my therapist to understand how that could be so!

Edited by plenzmd1

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they don't think, they react, some create

.....so according to you, professional athletes don't think when playing/participating in their respective sports ? 

Wow. ?

In his first NFL game Marshawn Lynch runs out of bounds late in the game, saving clock for the Broncos to drive for the game-winning FG.  

I have enormous confidence in McDermott. I think you'll see increasing situational awareness from his team in the coming years.  He needs a couple of years where the roster isn't turning over so much.