Daboll: Blocking Scheme, Approach to the Game

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Straight from the Belicheck school of information dissemination. There is no benefit to be gained by divulging information on how you plan to run the offense.

Agree, more than that, he was brought up in the Belichick offense that changes weekly to exploit their opponent's defensive weakness.  Some weeks they throw to the wide outs, the next week they run the ball forty times, the week after that the tight ends are the focal point, sometimes the backs are catching passes all game long.  Their offense is never the same two weeks in a row.

That's why I have never used any Patriot in my fantasy football league except Brady for the last ten years because the offense seems to go through a different player every week.  I wonder why more teams don't do it this way?  If you can put together a roster of capable players (no small thing I know) the Belichick Way has been shown to be consistently successful over the long run.

Like most here I don't like Belichick, but you have to give the devil his due.  A little bit of Belichick at One Bills Drive might not be a bad thing.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good research.

Incidentally, I don't get the finally-a-guy-who-gets-it attitude.  OCs are - generally speaking - not dummies.  They all 'get it' more than the fans 'get it.'  Some OCs, though, are better at turning concept into on-the-field reality.

Using a combined system has its pros and cons.  Mastery is the con.  There's a reason Vince Lombardi had a simpler playbook than other coaches - he wanted to his players to execute at a high level more than he wanted to out-smart and out-scheme his opponent.  Sounds like Daboll is at the other end of the spectrum.  

General George S. Patton once said something to the effect that 5% of the success of any plan depends on the plan itself - the rest is execution.  I'm indifferent to Daboll's use of different blocking schemes.  I want to know if he can create an offense that actually scores points.  

Good post hondo.

see my other post though.
agreed consistent execution of the play called is the key to success no matter.
foundation of success at least !

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agree, more than that, he was brought up in the Belicheck offense that changes weekly to exploit their opponent's defensive weakness.  Some weeks they throw to the wide outs, the next week they run the ball forty times, the week after that the tight ends are the focal point, sometimes the backs are catching passes all game long.  Their offense is never the same two

One week it's the headsets, the next it's filming signals, the next tampering with equipment...

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Like most here I don't like Belicheck, but you have to give the devil his due.

No I do not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Shades of Belichick.   He sets high expectations, and McD does too.

never speak the name here.

and let us not compare our beloved McD to to tainted one.

at least spell his  name incorrectly as i always do. that way you cannot evoke one of his demons.

take heed 66.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

One week it's the headsets, the next it's filming signals, the next tampering with equipment...

No I do not.

Fair enough...

But what if the Bills had hired Belichick eighteen years ago instead of Gregg Williams, and the Bills had won multiple Super Bowls over the ensuing years and been the most dominant team in the league for more than a decade, do you really think you'd feel the same way about our coach Belichick?

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No I do not.

Stay strong. this is the only answer accepted here.

you too can see Inigo feels the pull. and is already turning.

to defend it !  breaks my heart.

Daboll. He has such a vast plethora of experience by now. he knows the deal.
And we got him.

anyone laugh about that he has Matt Patricia's pencil in his ear ?

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Oh, like this is new.  I can't even count how many of the past 20 seasons the Bills didn't have a specific blocking scheme and varied it week to week.

It isn’t “new” - previous OCs have incorporated multiple schemes. But it is “news” considering many wondered since Daboll was hired what type of blocking scheme he would use. Now we know. 

• Like (+1) 1

Considering Coach Daboll is Canadian by birth, wouldn't there be a tendency to have that Canadian trait of being 'overly polite'?  Three weeks ago everyone was saying he's too mean.  Before long, someone will run with the nonsense that he's too nice.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair enough...

But what if the Bills had hired Belicheck eighteen years ago instead of Gregg Williams, and the Bills had won multiple Super Bowls over the ensuing years and been the most dominant team in the league for more than a decade, do you really  think you'd feel the same way about our coach Belicheck?

of course not. That would be silly.
 right or wrong he would be the King of Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

Blah, blah, blah. Let’s see how the offense looks before we decide if he can be an effective OC in this league. His track record to this point doesn’t really warrant giving him the benefit of the doubt.

13 minutes ago, vincec said:

Blah, blah, blah. Let’s see how the offense looks before we decide if he can be an effective OC in this league. His track record to this point doesn’t really warrant giving him the benefit of the doubt.

did you read up on his stint at Alabama ?

he might get some benefit  : )

but i hear you. he is not HC material yet. been learning the trade from some of the best though

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I agree with you that we have to wait and see. Although placing doubt on him isn't any better then giving him the benefit of the doubt. I would think we would all want him to succeed. I don't mind if he wants to talk about his vision. It gets me excited. 

All I'm saying is he didn't fail as the Bills OC yet. I'm rooting for him. I want to see quotes about his vision. It's if he fails I don't want to see the excuses. Then I won't want to listen to what he says about his vision. If it doesn't work. 

2be3fo.jpg

Edited by Lfod

7 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

People don't understand they are mostly the same. If you can do one type you can do them all.

Unfortunately it's not so. Plenty of guys who are good zone blockers aren't good at man, and vice-versa. Plenty are, but plenty aren't. They require different degrees of athleticism, strength, and so on.

You often see turnover on the line when schemes are switched, and there's a reason for that.

It'll be interesting to see how our guys do, and how long it takes them to pick things up. And whether there'll be some positions which turn into glaring needs for next offseason.

Edited by Thurman#1

We'll just spin a wheel and go with what it lands on.  Daboll's in a good position as he has no place to go with up after last year when our offensive coordinator thought HB stretches to Tolbert were good play calls.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

or will it be based on your opponents weaknesses? that could be pretty awesome, in theory. spending the week focusing on how best to attack, and exploit, your opponents. 

I prefer that you do your thing and not so much worry what other people are doing. I'd rather we have our own identity than to have an identity based off of what some other team is doing.

59 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I prefer that you do your thing and not so much worry what other people are doing. I'd rather we have our own identity than to have an identity based off of what some other team is doing.

I think it can be  some of both but this is how Pats strategize offensively, especially in the run game and personnel groupings. 

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Why would an offense run only one type of scheme?  That would be unwise.

Hopefully the players can run all the schemes.

Maybe this is why they retooled the line as our guys really preferred the power blocking.