Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
26CornerBlitz

Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

 

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.


Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

 

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

I honestly think Vic has gotten better in the last year.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnC said:

 Bucky and Sully as individuals have little to do with the forces that are affecting them. It's a fact of life that is happening everywhere in their business. 

 

To a degree.  But as the signature columnists in the most important section of the paper, they have to be draws unto themselves as well.   No different than the on-air talent at ESPN or guys like Peter King during his SI stint.   Ratings and clicks matter.

 

IMO, neither Sully or Bucky delivered on that mandate.   These particular buyouts may be driven as much by house cleaning as cost cuts.   I fully expect the BN to replace both guys and look for cost control elsewhere.    These will be very important hires and Dunne and Fairburn would be very good gets IMO...

 

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

This isn't unique to the newspaper business.    It happens in companies all across America at a regular basis.   It's literally the Jack Welch business model.

We have entered the Jack Welch business model on steroids. As you indicated it has been going on for a long time but now at a faster pace. Wearing blinders has a tendency to blur what is happening in front of you. Some people are too wrapped up in personalities (like and dislike)  while the reality is that the big wave is hitting everyone. It's about the $$$$. Has always been so and will continue to be so. What's obvious to some is not obvious to others. 

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Agree with those who’ve said the bigger issue of the demise of local papers is going to mean less scrutiny of local issues, and more dependence on generic national stories. Less information results in a dumbing down of voters who vote on style over substance.

 

I always enjoyed Jerry’s willingness to rip the scab off sports issues, and missed him when he stopped appearing on WGR. But his passion is basketball and baseball, which unfortunately are not the top sports in Buffalo.

 

I worry about our dependence on all things electronic. We’re only one good EMP pulse away from everyone scrambling to museums to get the old hand crank printing presses out and finding cars without electronic ignitions. I ask my son who does web design, what skills do you have to survive if the electrical grid went out.

Sinclair is buying up local stations not only for business reasons but also for political reasons. It's getting scary. 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/business/media/sinclair-news-anchors-script.html

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Ask the taxi industry if Uber hasn't affected their business? You claim that the newspaper industry isn't adapting. It is. It is eliminating the paper and going digital where it can. It still has to figure out the economics of a subscriber model. My point in my posts is that the Bucky and Sully personalities are miniscule factors in the altering nature of the business. They are part of the old guard that has little to do with dealing with the changing dynamics of the business that not only affects the BN but is an inescapable fact of life of business in general. That's my central point. Bucky and Sully as individuals have little to do with the forces that are affecting them. It's a fact of life that is happening everywhere in their business. 

I can agree with that part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We have entered the Jack Welch business model on steroids. As you indicated it has been going on for a long time but now at a faster pace. Wearing blinders has a tendency to blur what is happening in front of you. Some people are too wrapped up in personalities (like and dislike)  while the reality is that the big wave is hitting everyone. It's about the $$$$. Has always been so and will continue to be so. What's obvious to some is not obvious to others. 

Sinclair is buying up local stations not only for business reasons but also for political reasons. It's getting scary. 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/business/media/sinclair-news-anchors-script.html

 

 

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

 

 

I worry about our dependence on all things electronic. We’re only one good EMP pulse away from everyone scrambling to museums to get the old hand crank printing presses out and finding cars without electronic ignitions. I ask my son who does web design, what skills do you have to survive if the electrical grid went out.

Coincidentally, I just read an article in Popular Science about that very thing. Two points to add to your words. One is, it is more likely to be hacking that takes the power grid down. And they are fighting hacking probes from unknown places every day. People somewhere testing vulnerabilities to just that. Probably armies in other nations.

 

Then, if the electrical grid goes down, we have about 3 days before we run out of nearly everything. All foods that require refrigeration, any medicine, any ability to bank, make payroll, communicate, even water needs electric pumps. Everything goes away. Everything depends on computers which must have electricity. There is no back up system. They don't even teach kids to write in cursive any more. 

Even worse is if someone gets control of the networks before they bring the power grid down. They could just wipe bank accounts for example. All of them. Any financial records that are electronic. 

 

I only read that yesterday and haven't had time to process it, but it scared the crap out of me. 

 

 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss...............

 

I hate the PPP board, but Huh?   

 

Soros is the right's liberal boogie man.   Sinclair is a conservative, pro-Trump company:   https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17180020/sinclair-broadcast-group-conservative-trump-david-smith-local-news-tv-affiliate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

 

I hate the PPP board, but Huh?   

 

Soros is the right's liberal boogie man.   Sinclair is a conservative, pro-Trump company:   https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17180020/sinclair-broadcast-group-conservative-trump-david-smith-local-news-tv-affiliate

 

 

...unknowingly, I traveled down the prohibited path of politics, so let it go for our mutual "board health"......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly think Vic has gotten better in the last year.

 

I attribute this to a more competent HC and OBD being in place.  The writers and columnists see these people and typically know what right looks like.  

 

That's not to say it's a guarantee McBeane will be successful, just that they have a plan which doesn't change every year. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss............…

Respectfully, you are 180 degrees wrong. On this issue if you look to the right instead of the left you will know where the punch is coming from. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lurker said:

 

To a degree.  But as the signature columnists in the most important section of the paper, they have to be draws unto themselves as well.   No different than the on-air talent at ESPN or guys like Peter King during his SI stint.   Ratings and clicks matter.

 

IMO, neither Sully or Bucky delivered on that mandate.   These particular buyouts may be driven as much by house cleaning as cost cuts.   I fully expect the BN to replace both guys and look for cost control elsewhere.    These will be very important hires and Dunne and Fairburn would be very good gets IMO...

 

 

 

I aleays felt columnists...especial sports columnists are supposed to stir the pot and cause controversy and create click bait.

 

as far as newspapers in thus day...

 

 

 

eith the internet niw now you don’t have to rely on the newspapers to hear the news.  On top that people don’t understand that people are paid to write.p rpthus fees cgarged.

 

with something like newspapers you don’t need to pay high salary for beat reporters.

 

in BN they skew older where many are 15 or more years vets.

 

i see newspapers becoming in ways like sports teams where only a few get hugh salary and stay around while 80% if the team us churned every 4 or so years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 2:52 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

 

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.


Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

 

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

 

You really liked Felser - was it because in 1985 he said draft Doug Flutie #1 overall  (drafted in rd6 ) rather than Bruce Smith?  Or was it when he wrote before the 1989 Bills Cleveland playoff game to start Frank Reich now because Jim Kelly cant win a big game -?  When Kelly went on to throw 5 TDs vs Cleveland and went on to win 4 straight AFC championship games and numerous playoff games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

 

You really liked Felser - was it because in 1985 he said draft Doug Flutie #1 overall  (drafted in rd6 ) rather than Bruce Smith?  Or was it when he wrote before the 1989 Bills Cleveland playoff game to start Frank Reich now because Jim Kelly cant win a big game -?  When Kelly went on to throw 5 TDs vs Cleveland and went on to win 4 straight AFC championship games and numerous playoff games

 

Lol.  You take two examples out of a 40 year career to define the guy?      Felser's body of work  was exemplary and way better than anything published on the Snooze sports page today...

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Screwball said:

Does Buffalo have an Athletic site yet?

 

Soon, unfortunately it seems like it's full of fired writers which means these two bums could be writing for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, JohnC said:

You are giving Sully too much credit. While you may not subscribe to the BN because of Sully there are others who do so because of him. Overall, Sully's impact one way or the other is not as significant as you think.

 

I only heard Bucky was bought out; was Sulky too?

On 5/25/2018 at 11:08 PM, May Day 10 said:

 

I actually like these guys and the buffalo news.

 

I'm just saying the talent in their most important department is being let go.  That's a pretty dire sign.  

 

I would hardly call Bucky and Sulky "talent".  Barnacles is a better word slowing down ship.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

I only heard Bucky was bought out; was Sulky too?

 

 

Someone else brought it up that he was considering it. So my sourcing is shallow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Screwball said:

Does Buffalo have an Athletic site yet?

They don't.  Curious if they ever get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, what devastating news!!! Honestly, where is he going to go?

I still don’t like the Kane trade and the tanking is pretty pathetic.  But it’s done now.

 

 

I read the same thing here a few years ago...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stony said:

They don't.  Curious if they ever get one. 

 

Actually I've read one is starting.

 

But don't forget about the Buffalo Star website 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So did Sully officially take the buyout too, reading through here saw a couple of posts stating something like "hear Sully is leaving too" didn't see anything too official sounding unless I missed it??  Wonder if last Friday was the deadline for employees to sign up for the offer, thta's why both announced the same day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 12:16 PM, oldmanfan said:

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

 

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

 

Times change. Remember when 411 was a thing and you had to pay per search for information you can get for free in about a second now? That's what these sports columnists at TBN are. They don't provide inside information, they just posted click-bait drivel to try and drive traffic to the site in order to justify getting paid for being professional trolls. Newspapers are/were important because they provided information to an uninformed public. Some time in the 90s when personality-driven content became the trendy thing a bunch of sports columnists stopped including insider info in their writing and decided to just make "hot takes" in order to grow their personal brands. People are no longer willing to pay for that crap. TBN sports desk doomed itself when it ostracized itself from the teams it covered and started getting scooped by the national media. I don't need a TBN sub to get Bills news, I just need a twitter feed. Why would I pay money to read poorly written troll pieces by Bucky and Sullivan? The only way for local journalists to maintain relevancy is to provide the local audience with information that national reporters don't have access to. TBN has failed in that and has only themselves to blame for it.    

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So did Sully officially take the buyout too?...

Strange times afoot.  Goodbye Schtupp, welcome to 4 hours of 'Jerry and the Bulldog' M - F 4 to 7 pm.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So did Sully officially take the buyout too, reading through here saw a couple of posts stating something like "hear Sully is leaving too" didn't see anything too official sounding unless I missed it??  Wonder if last Friday was the deadline for employees to sign up for the offer, thta's why both announced the same day?

 

Nothing new been announced yet, so it possible he could very well still be employed. He hasn’t tweeted for nearly a week though, so take that for what it’s worth.  Still I think if he was done, it would have been announced by now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...