Sign in to follow this  
26CornerBlitz

Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

His honest assessments when some wanted puff pieces will be missed. I enjoyed his days on WGR.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

I'm actually much more likely to buy Bills Blitz now.

• Like (+1) 1

And his columns on trying to break 100 during Bills training camp were an insult to his employers and all 172 of his fans.  Good riddance, I wonder if he'll try to weasel back as did Pergament.

So what is next for Buffalo News Sports?  Do they just fill in the voids with low-paying "talent".  End/limit the coverage?  

23 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Times change. Remember when 411 was a thing and you had to pay per search for information you can get for free in about a second now? That's what these sports columnists at TBN are. They don't provide inside information, they just posted click-bait drivel to try and drive traffic to the site in order to justify getting paid for being professional trolls. Newspapers are/were important because they provided information to an uninformed public. Some time in the 90s when personality-driven content became the trendy thing a bunch of sports columnists stopped including insider info in their writing and decided to just make "hot takes" in order to grow their personal brands. People are no longer willing to pay for that crap. TBN sports desk doomed itself when it ostracized itself from the teams it covered and started getting scooped by the national media. I don't need a TBN sub to get Bills news, I just need a twitter feed. Why would I pay money to read poorly written troll pieces by Bucky and Sullivan? The only way for local journalists to maintain relevancy is to provide the local audience with information that national reporters don't have access to. TBN has failed in that and has only themselves to blame for it.    

Points for nuance and creativity.  

Some definite truths of the state of the media consumption business here. 

As an employee of a corporate media company, I too am gravely concerned for the long term viability of "old media."

While social media is going nowhere, it was and will never be "free". We sell our data to the lowest bidder every time we click "agree to the terms and conditions".

Sometimes, paying for a product has merit too, and too few see the merit in "yesterday's news".

At its core, we are seeing the death of strong writing.  Writing is a skill. A challenging one that requires effort, time and a knowledge of accepted rules. 

Does The Stadium Wall need to follow the AP Style Guide 2018? No.  Do we all need a Columbia or Missouri J school degree to post about or football team? No.

But it'd sure read better.

I think the ability to convey information, emotion, or opinion via poetry and prose is both a difficult and dying artform, with a very lax acceptable standard at very high levels of media production. 

There ought be at least proper sentence structure in everyday written English.  

Apparently none of us want to read it though.

Bear in mind, this is just sports department cuts.  More is coming from more important floors of that newsroom.

Feel free to rip on Sully, Vogl, Gleason all you want. It's just sports.  

I'm concerned about the future of a free press if this continues in news and political coverage. The lack of an informed electorate is dangerous for a democracy. 

Too many people think angels are real already. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

So what is next for Buffalo News Sports?  Do they just fill in the voids with low-paying "talent".  End/limit the coverage?  

Probably. It's the latest model by ESPN. Cut all high-priced talent, bring in a bunch of kids and nobodies.

It's a dying medium in a flooded market.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The old curmudgeon Buffalo News, hopefully. Time for fresh perspective.

I know this is probably good news to some, but the way newspapers are now, don't be surprised if the Buffalo News sports page is made up of syndicated columnists.  Your local coverage of the Bills and Sabres will pretty much be WGR.

Hopefully, new columnists will emerge who can offer biting criticism when warranted without the childish and unprofessional snark that too often littered their work. For example, old school journalists like Larry Felser had no problem leveling strong opinions against the Bills while maintaining their professionalism which allowed them to also maintain solid relationships within organization. Bucky and Sully were esentially blacklisted because of their inability in doing so which only served to further feed their spite and cloud their objectivity far too often in their work.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Don’t really need him around any more now that the trash is gone from OBD. He did his job and he did it well. Thanks for always keeping it real, Sully!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh Glorious Day! Oh Glorious Day!!

Typical pretentious take by Jerry Sullivan in his parting shot to his long time employer.  Good riddance to both he and Gleason, who anointed themselves the "defenders of the realm" and justified their constant negativity as "fair, objective, and passionate" when it only occasionally was.  What they did not seem to understand is that being a constant contrarian does not equate to fair and objective, and eventually becomes very boring, if not outright annoying, while alienating the very people in the organizations they are assigned to write about.  This made them both ineffective and "bad for business" in the end.  Perhaps the News will look for a new columnist who does not just pretend to care about the fans, but actually demonstrates it by taking their job seriously, and not themselves.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Our long regional nightmare is over!

Thank you Josh Barnett!    Best of luck with your recruitment of talented, motivated replacement(s) for this important position...

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You would think as a "professional" writer he'd have a better understanding of the meaning of words like fair and objective.

Glad they are moving these guys out.  Just too much negativity and “gotcha” questions at press conferences. Too much snarkiness.  I want balance, I want some actual reporting and positivity as well.  

I suggest Mathew Fairburn.  He seems to be the most knowledgable, balanced reporter.  

Sully and Russ are sharing remember whens with Donahoe and Whaley somewhere sipping fruity ass drinks.

I heard Whaley now spends most of his time trying to master the english language.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Awesome. GTFO, Jerry.

He wasn't good for business. Even those who wanted an objective article did not want to read his.

• Like (+1) 1

This is cause for a celebration. Sully is horrible.

After 29 years here he became adept at pushing buttons, and he went to that place far too often. You can't continually antagonize the people that are paying your bills.

Maybe we'll get a Harrington buyout this week and hit the trifecta.

After skimming this thread, I can’t tell you how happy I am to have avoided these guys over the last few decades. 

23 minutes ago, transient said:

You would think as a "professional" writer he'd have a better understanding of the meaning of words like fair and objective.

You would think

I thought Sully was a pretty good read for his Bills stuff and I agreed with most of his attacks on the prior Bills administration.  His left wing politics annoyed me but I will miss his Bills columns.  

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just die already BN

Relax Jerry. Go take up golf or something, it'll be fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe all you puss's who said Sully and Bucky were meanies will pony up the $2.99/mo now.  Not holding my breath.  

• Like (+1) 1

He proved my point.  Without a column of easy to write opines, you just have an old, lazy journalist.  

I think tweeting out a parting shot to the company who employed you for so long shows the  character of Jerry Sullivan the individual.  

• Like (+1) 4