Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

28 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its a shame.  

I know he is unpopular, but look at the state of both franchises in the 2000s.  Wouldn't want people who sugar-coat it.

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

"fair, objective and passionate perspective" maybe at one time but he has neither been fair nor objective for a long time and his columns seems canned NOT passionate.

23 minutes ago, theesir said:

Wow, Seems Sullivan was pushed out based on his announcement. Took the buyout AFTER they took away his column. What was he expected to do if he had no column.

Say what you want about him being a crank, but the teams around here have sucked for a long time and he was the voice that was willing to remind us after a two game winning streak by either team that there was still a lot of work to be done.
I think this is a very sad day all around for Buffalo sports. I enjoy the paper because I could read more than just a game report. I enjoyed reading the OPINION of the people that covered the team day-to-day.

What will we have now? Just game reviews and feature articles?

Sorry, but bad teams are just a sorry excuse for being a hack. Sully and Bucky weren't objective and they couldn't do analysis or break down a situation. Their forte was pointing at what went wrong after the fact. If anything they amplified the voices of frustrated fans, but nothing more than that. In Buffalo you could make a living shoveling doom and gloom. Maybe this is a sign the city is evolving past that. Start looking up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, theesir said:

I am asking this in all seriousness, not as a bash. How old are you? If you're fandom really took root during these dark days it's easy to see critical columns as canned. I agree the message has gotten stale, but so has the losing and there's only so many ways to say that. 

Again, if you're old enough to remember (and have read the paper) during the winning years I think you may agree, if you're younger, I feel bad because as fans you (and your contemporaries) have been dealt a ****ty hand.

I am old enough to have worked for Courier Express.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He attacked the owners multiple times.  He should have been banned from press conferences a long time ago since he was not a reporter.

Maybe now without a paper to spew out venom the venom will feed back into himself and do what he was trying to do to Bills - poison myself to death.

Sully and Bucky seemed to appoint themselves the deciders for WNY. From day one they had the knives out for the Pegulas. (From the day Terry visited the Buffalo News to introduce himself.) I never understood that.

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Lots of folks complained about Sullivan to the editor and even stated he is why they wouldn’t subscribe. I’m now wondering how many will honor their word and open the wallet for that whopping 3 bucks a month. 

I signed up after Bucky's resignation. It was a step in the right direction. Sully leaving is a bonus. Everyone should definitely step up now.

22 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Honestly its got to be a tough job to do when the teams you cover lose and lose a lot

Except the Bills hadn't "lost a lot" since the Pegula's owned them. They are .500. 50/50. The Mendoza line. The Sabres are a dumpster fire but it was, at least at first, part of a rebuild plan. (Something Bucky Gleason advocated for, until his about-face.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry, but bad teams are just a sorry excuse for being a hack. Sully and Bucky weren't objective and they couldn't do analysis or break down a situation. Their forte was was pointing at what went wrong after the fact. If anything they amplified the voices of frustrated fans, but nothing more than that. In Buffalo you could make a living shoveling doom and gloom. Maybe this is a sign the city is evolving past that. Start looking up.

to the bolded, whenever i would read their articles they read like they didnt actually know the sports they covered

What I never really cared for was the influence these guys (Bucky, Sully) had on their fellow writers and journalists. Jonah Javad is one example. He was generally pretty positive and upbeat but then he was assigned to work the Sports Talk Sunday show with a rotating cast of TBN guys. Gradually, Javad started sounding like a carbon copy of those dudes. Jay Skurski is another dude whose writing I've seen start to reflect that of his counterparts, and usually not in a positive way.

And I don't care if they wanna hammer on about negative aspects, that's part of the gig. It was the enthusiasm with which these guys discussed negative points. I remember watching a bit of the show last season before the KC game. Bucky very blandly provided his reasons why the Bills could win. And then he provided the reasons why they could lose and holy crap, he was like a kid on Christmas. "If Kansas City gets that run game going, WATCH OUT! It'll be over before it starts. If they can't stop the run, this team is dead in the water and KC will destroy them!!" It was like they just couldn't wait for the Bills to get their asses handed to them so they could flip open their laptops and start writing a self-congratulatory "I told you so" type of article. **** like that just gets old real fast. Same can be said for Sully. It was as if these guys had an extreme reluctance to provide any sort of praise to these teams. And Sully goes to the Super Bowl that one year and makes a complete idiot of himself with what I'm sure he felt were "hard hitting" questions but instead it was picked up nationally and people were like, "This dude is a buffoon." 

It was also kind of hilarious to see a number of them get their tighty whities in a bunch when McBeane put forth a concerted effort to shut down the leaks. Obviously, inside sources are a major part of being a journalist but it seemed the Pegulas and co. really were just done with the leaks and that really seemed to upset those guys. It felt like a degree of entitlement on their end. Like, "Hey, you owe it to us to provide inside info and news! We're the connection between the team and the fans for information!" That was another thing that irritated me, when these guys would be telling people on social media that "without me you get no insight on your favorite teams!" It's sweet that they find themselves to be that important but with so many media outlets and ways to stay connected, their role as a connection to inside info became minimal. They combined that self-importance with a lot of arrogance, constantly engaging with trolls or people with the most moronic takes ever and avoiding anyone with a decent question or counter-argument. 

23 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Times change. Remember when 411 was a thing and you had to pay per search for information you can get for free in about a second now? That's what these sports columnists at TBN are. They don't provide inside information, they just posted click-bait drivel to try and drive traffic to the site in order to justify getting paid for being professional trolls. Newspapers are/were important because they provided information to an uninformed public. Some time in the 90s when personality-driven content became the trendy thing a bunch of sports columnists stopped including insider info in their writing and decided to just make "hot takes" in order to grow their personal brands. People are no longer willing to pay for that crap. TBN sports desk doomed itself when it ostracized itself from the teams it covered and started getting scooped by the national media. I don't need a TBN sub to get Bills news, I just need a twitter feed. Why would I pay money to read poorly written troll pieces by Bucky and Sullivan? The only way for local journalists to maintain relevancy is to provide the local audience with information that national reporters don't have access to. TBN has failed in that and has only themselves to blame for it.    

Points for nuance and creativity.  

Some definite truths of the state of the media consumption business here. 

As an employee of a corporate media company, I too am gravely concerned for the long term viability of "old media."

While social media is going nowhere, it was and will never be "free". We sell our data to the lowest bidder every time we click "agree to the terms and conditions".

Sometimes, paying for a product has merit too, and too few see the merit in "yesterday's news".

At its core, we are seeing the death of strong writing.  Writing is a skill. A challenging one that requires effort, time and a knowledge of accepted rules. 

Does The Stadium Wall need to follow the AP Style Guide 2018? No.  Do we all need a Columbia or Missouri J school degree to post about or football team? No.

But it'd sure read better.

I think the ability to convey information, emotion, or opinion via poetry and prose is both a difficult and dying artform, with a very lax acceptable standard at very high levels of media production. 

There ought be at least proper sentence structure in everyday written English.  

Apparently none of us want to read it though.

Bear in mind, this is just sports department cuts.  More is coming from more important floors of that newsroom.

Feel free to rip on Sully, Vogl, Gleason all you want. It's just sports.  

I'm concerned about the future of a free press if this continues in news and political coverage. The lack of an informed electorate is dangerous for a democracy. 

Too many people think angels are real already. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

So what is next for Buffalo News Sports?  Do they just fill in the voids with low-paying "talent".  End/limit the coverage?  

Probably. It's the latest model by ESPN. Cut all high-priced talent, bring in a bunch of kids and nobodies.

It's a dying medium in a flooded market.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The old curmudgeon Buffalo News, hopefully. Time for fresh perspective.

I know this is probably good news to some, but the way newspapers are now, don't be surprised if the Buffalo News sports page is made up of syndicated columnists.  Your local coverage of the Bills and Sabres will pretty much be WGR.

Hopefully, new columnists will emerge who can offer biting criticism when warranted without the childish and unprofessional snark that too often littered their work. For example, old school journalists like Larry Felser had no problem leveling strong opinions against the Bills while maintaining their professionalism which allowed them to also maintain solid relationships within organization. Bucky and Sully were esentially blacklisted because of their inability in doing so which only served to further feed their spite and cloud their objectivity far too often in their work.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1