Rodak on Sirius Opening Drive 5/14

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I heard all the stupid rhetoric last year about how bad this team is and they still made the playoffs.

McDermott and Beane are molding this team into their image and this regime is NOTHING like previous regimes here.

The negative rhetoric has EVERYTHING to do with the failures of previous regimes. I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Everybody talks about how bad the WR position is, but it is entirely possible that Benjamin stays healthy and Jones improves in his second season. People forget about that.

I am actually excited about a couple of the not talked about guys on offense

O'Leary....the kid was open....a LOT....and always gained plus yards on his catches

Ivory.....a lot of people knocked this aquisition.....I love the fit because he is a big bruising back that can actually run laterally if he has to unlike Tolbert and is great for short yardage/goal line situations/keep Shady fresh

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Thanks for posting. I don't know how much I should trust inside info that comes from Rodak, but if true it's pretty interesting that McDermott likes Peterman. He might be more in the conversation for starter than a lot of people think. I don't know what kind of offense we plan on building but I think McCarron/Peterman would run a very different offense from what Allen would run. So we might get a hint as to who the planned starter is depending on the offense we see in training camp and preseason.

I've been saying for some time that think people are underestimating Peterman because of that first performance, which is understandable and justified.

However, he played in two of the most stressful situations any rookie can be asked to play in:

1. Against the best pass defense in the league

2. An actual blizzard

He came back from that meltdown in San Diego and managed the blizzard well. He threw a couple huge passes to keep the Bills in the game, including the beautiful TD to Benjamin. He took a huge hit and came back into the game.

If he improves his velocity sufficiently, like other pro QBs have, then he still has a chance to be a decent starter.

McDermott talked about Peterman after they drafted him and said that they like his accuracy, "grit" and football knowledge.

McDermott talking about Milano, Peterman, and Vallejo

Not to mention the other quotes last year from players like McCoy, who said they like Peterman and the way he slings the ball around.

So, obviously McDermott really likes Peterman because none of those attributes have changed. I think he definitely has the tools to beat McCarron for the position. Does that mean either guy is a franchise QB who can consistently win in Buffalo? No. 

I'm just saying it's a much closer race than people think. McCarron is not very good. I'm not going to be excited for McCarron or Peterman, any more than the general excitement I get for the start of the season. I won't be surprised if Peterman is the starter, though. He's tough and could be an adequate game manager until Allen, the potential game changer, is ready to start.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Disagree. I think most skeptics are basing this on:

OL - 2-3 lost starters. Marginal at best replacements.

WR - Awful group and possibly worse with some departures.

QB - Completely unknown. None of them have been a starter in the league, none have seen much playing time at all. Combine that with a new OC and this OL and WR crew its tough. 

Those things make it a unknown....not a automatic downgrade.

I dont consider Kelvin Benjamin a "aweful" aquisition......just need to see if he can stay healthy.  We do in fact have quality TE's that we throw to as well.

I felt Cog was slippin.....I thought Dawkins played very well.....Mills is a turnstyle....Groy is underrated.....

I just need to see it on the field.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Thanks for posting. I don't know how much I should trust inside info that comes from Rodak, but if true it's pretty interesting that McDermott likes Peterman. He might be more in the conversation for starter than a lot of people think. I don't know what kind of offense we plan on building but I think McCarron/Peterman would run a very different offense from what Allen would run. So we might get a hint as to who the planned starter is depending on the offense we see in training camp and preseason.

I was skewered by many here when I said that Peterman would be on the roster this year. I still believe that his value in the long run will be as a backup. A Frank Reich type of qb with a backup role. 

I thought the Rodak interview was a fair presentation of the status of this team. This is a rebuilding team that is a few years away from having a more complete roster. There is still a lot to do before the offense can be presentable. The current status of the OL has me unnerved. I wish this regime would have worked out an accommodating deal to keep Incognito. 

Just now, JohnC said:

I was skewered by many here when I said that Peterman would be on the roster this year. I still believe that his value in the long run will be as a backup. A Frank Reich type of qb with a backup role. 

I thought the Rodak interview was a fair presentation of the status of this team. This is a rebuilding team that is a few years away from having a more complete roster. There is still a lot to do before the offense can be presentable. The current status of the OL has me unnerved. I wish this regime would have worked out an accommodating deal to keep Incognito. 

I think it is entirely possible we carry 3 qbs.

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Especially after what happened last year with just Tyrod and Peterman available. Webb was the only guy left...

(Sits back and waits for a Webb's package joke)

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Really?  I've been assuming Peterman makes the team.  McD seems to genuinely think well of him.

The TT aficionados are resentful of him. They want him dispatched to the ash heap so they can maintain their narrative about their favorite running qb. 

Meh...for fans who really follow the team there was nothing enlightening in this discussion.  Yes, we know the WR ranks are questionable.  Yes, we know the OL is filling three slots.  Yes, we know Allen is a rookie and there are two other unproven guys at the position.

No discussion at all about probably the biggest offseason acquisition of all -- Brian Daboll.  Could completely alter the perception of Buffalo's offense because right now everyone is thinking about last year.

I will continue to disagree with the proposition it is unlikely that Allen starts immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

At this point it's silly to shoot anything down. For all we know Peterman has been on a strict diet of Popeye's spinach and will have more velocity this year. It's entirely possible that he beats McCarron outright for the #2 spot. The Bills are keeping him around for a reason so it can't be a foregone conclusion that he won't make the team. I know most teams only carry 2 QBs but if there's any team that should carry 3 QBs it's us. There's too many question marks there to give that spot to a special teamer IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

At this point it's silly to shoot anything down. For all we know Peterman has been on a strict diet of Popeye's spinach and will have more velocity this year. It's entirely possible that he beats McCarron outright for the #2 spot. The Bills are keeping him around for a reason so it can't be a foregone conclusion that he won't make the team. I know most teams only carry 2 QBs but if there's any team that should carry 3 QBs it's us. There's too many question marks there to give that spot to a special teamer IMO.

I see that Russel Shepard just came available from the Panther's

I could see Beane rounding out the roster with a guy who can both start and contribute on offense allowing a spot for a 3rd QB

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Plenty of room to go down from 22nd. 

I guess... Most of the teams below us had massive amounts of turnovers.  Personally though, i didn't see much difference between our offense's production and like the dolphins or bengals.

Edited by dneveu

I blame the issues on offense on McD... had Beane never arrived and forced the issue, McD never would have taken a QB high- like how he skipped over Mahomes and Watson last year...the GM is gonna have keep on top of McD... most defensive minded coaches tend to neglect the offensive side of the ball

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The TT aficionados are resentful of him. They want him dispatched to the ash heap so they can maintain their narrative about their favorite running qb. 

Or they just saw him play and didnt like what they saw...including the worse half of QB play ever. I am sorry but its hard to get excited from anything he showed. Nothing to do with Tyrod. If Peterman was on any other team no one on this board would want him. 

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Regression on O?  How much worse could we get? 22nd in points and 29th in yards...  3 points in our first playoff game in like 20 years.  Hopefully Daboll can come up with something better than run-run-pass-punt.

I wonder how much McD and Beane put the offensive woes on the roster and how much on Rico?

They may expect offensive progress this year just because of Daboll.  

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I remember how bad the offense was last year, and it's hard to imagine it regressing at all, it could be worse, but not much it was terrible.    If McCarron and Daboll can get anything going, we'll be better.   The Oline is worse, no doubt about that.   That will have the biggest negative effect. 

People forget this with Tyrod. He has an incredible low turnover rate so even if they didn't move the ball very far passing they still could force poorer field position for the other teams and it kept the games low scoring..While the Bills offense was pretty porus last year, they could run the ball and didn't beat themselves with TO's in general which you can win with as long as your defense can hang in enough which they did.

If they have a QB who comes in that is going to toss it up and take more risks you also will have a few games that become losses or blow outs that aren't that way with a conservative guy. For as awful to watch as games like the Panthers/Chiefs/Bengals/Colts were, having a offense that didn't turn it over allowed the games to be close. So yea I think the offense can/will regress a bit more given the O-line shuffle, QB who won't be as safe, and awful passing catching unit after Benjamin/Clay.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

People forget this with Tyrod. He has an incredible low turnover rate so even if they didn't move the ball very far passing they still could force poorer field position for the other teams and it kept the games low scoring..While the Bills offense was pretty porus last year, they could run the ball and didn't beat themselves with TO's in general which you can win with as long as your defense can hang in enough which they did.

If they have a QB who comes in that is going to toss it up and take more risks you also will have a few games that become losses or blow outs that aren't that way with a conservative guy. For as awful to watch as games like the Panthers/Chiefs/Bengals/Colts were, having a offense that didn't turn it over allowed the games to be close. So yea I think the offense can/will regress a bit more given the O-line shuffle, QB who won't be as safe, and awful passing catching unit after Benjamin/Clay.

What your analysis fails to contemplate is the number of missed scoring opportunities for the Bills because of Tyrod's reluctance to take any chances.

It's an argument that can't be "won" by either side.