20/20: Would you have traded Tredavious White for Browns' #4 pick?

35 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

NO WAY...

He's going to be 'the or one of' the best CB for a long time, he'd be making 10+ mil a year right now,  we got him for 4 more years at cheap. 

And he seems great in locker room and like a really good dude overall..

He’s still a corner.  You guys are crazy if you won’t trade him for the #4 overall pick.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WHAT?????

NOOOOOOOOOOO.  

This is where you go:  "Is this even a real thread?" because what is being suggested is just so absurd and puzzling its hard to think someone would have actually considered what is being asked.  

LMAO at this thread.  

Can we trade you as a thread creator for 2 combo #4's at McDonalds?  I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  To bad no one would pay that much though and its as absurd as this thread.

I didn't create the thread.  We could have drafted Chubb to go with Allen and Edmonds.  It would have had to be next year's 2nd rounder though.

I would not do that. Plus getting to #4 would still have put Beane in the same boat in hindsight. It would of still been Rosen or Allen. I just wouldn't trade Tre White either because he has already proven he can play. The only thing Beane could of done was jump the Jets and get Darnold. I don't think that was available for the right price. 

Plus I always hated the idea of trading to  pick #4. I said it a few times.

Edited by Lfod

Hey guys...lets draft a great player so we can turn around and trade him to gamble on drafting an unknown player that more than likely won't be any better and likely a lot worse than the stud we just drafted.  

#GoodPlan

50 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I didn't create the thread.  We could have drafted Chubb to go with Allen and Edmonds.  It would have had to be next year's 2nd rounder though.

The pass rushers are coming next year. CB was already a pretty big need even with White. Without him we could not have afforded to draft anything other than CB, imo.

Several of you are saying no bcos White is better than Ward. That is not in question at all. Question is - is White better than first round replacement ( Ward Minkah or Jaire) and Washington (WR) and Parker (OT) who we could have drafted with our second rounders.

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

?

Thats exactly what they did when they traded Watkins though. 

No its not though.  First, I did NOT agree with the Watkins trade, although I felt they got reasonable enough value out of the trade, I just preferred the healthy Watkins end of that trade when they did it.  

However, its not the same thing.  They traded Watkins because they already knew they would not pay what he would command on the open market if he had a healthy season.  Case in point, they never would have paid $16M per.  And if Watkins did not stay healthy, they likely wouldn't want to resign him anyway and also he would not have anywhere near the same trade value if any.  

They said they did not feel like they would be able to retain him.  So they didnt trade a proven commodity for a lottery pick...they traded a future blank piece of paper for a pretty good DB and a valuable draft pick and also CAP room.  

So I have to disagree with your assessment on this one.  

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not different at all.

They traded an established and good NFL player(Watkins) for a lottery ticket. (2nd round pick) 

That pick was used for Allen.... who many think is a hit or miss prospect.... otherwise known as a lottery ticket.?

It is absolutely different because Tre was THEIR pick.

Watkins was drafted previously therefore belonged to another regime....they have been getting rid of those players left and right frankly I am shocked that Shaq Lawson is still here.

18 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm sorry.... what?

Do the bills you have to pay include one for an oxygen tank? I don't think your brain is getting enough

...addition (unknown) by subtraction (a known).....sounds like a plan.............

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They traded him because they didn't want him. Period. 

Everything else is fluff.... They didn't want to Watkins. If they wanted to keep him they could've. The Bills are awful at the WR position in big part due to that trade.... now the trade also helped them trade up and get a top QB prospect. If Allen pans out then I can't hate the trade. But still they could've kept Watkins and still found a way to trade up for Allen.

But Watkins was overrated and then there were the injury concerns.

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ok. 

But thats not what your original post said. You said, "yes let's trade away a promising position for a lottery pick." Which is exactly what they did with Watkins for a 2nd rounder. 

Frankly, I'm sick of new regimes coming in here and jettisoning proven, young good players just because they have nothing to do with them and were acquired by the old regime. IF McBeane doesn't work out I really hope Pegula learns his lesson and hires people who actually BUILD off of what the old regime did well, and holds onto talent.... even if they have no attachment to them. Talent is talent no matter who acquired it. 

The KC Chiefs and Andy Reid obviously don't think so. 

A coach whos had A LOT of success in this league. A lot more experience and success then McBeane can say. 

I think it remains to be seen whether the plan they have will work out in the long run....in the short run they MADE THE PLAYOFFS.

I think if Zay Jones flops then this will be revisited hard

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They traded him because they didn't want him. Period. 

Everything else is fluff.... They didn't want Watkins. If they wanted to keep him they could've. The Bills are awful at the WR position in big part due to that trade.... now the trade also helped them trade up and get a top QB prospect. If Allen pans out then I can't hate the trade. But still they could've kept Watkins and still found a way to trade up for Allen.

So you just further made my point, but I don't think you even realize you did that.  They did not trade Watkins for a lottery ticket, they traded Watkins because they were not going to resign him and therefore got something for him rather than nothing, and they got a player as well.  Again, I wanted to keep Watkins myself, just saying it wasn't the same thing as you alluded too when you told me to "read above."

Anyway, this tangent is as pointless as the OP of this dumb thread.  In fact, how is this thread 5 pages, might be the dumbest thread of the offseason lmao

White for #4, or White for Josh Allen, or White for 12, 53, 56.  However you want to think about it - it's all about the same.

In hindsight, if things worked out about the same, it would have been White for 22, 53, 56, and 63 because we would have taken Allen at 4 and Edmunds at 12.

I think I'd take White over those four picks, but the Bills probably would have found a gem or two in those four picks.