Which weighed more heavily on 4/26/2018: WANTING Allen or NOT Wanting Rosen?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The mood now compared to a little less than two weeks ago is certainly more optimistic.  Here's the five stages of grief I went through:

1.)  Denial - the draft played out perfectly and they had Josh Rosen sitting there and they picked a kid who looks like the most obvious bust since Jake Locker.  Did Goodell read the wrong last name?  Is this some sort of cruel practical joke.  

2.)  Anger - Beane deserves to be fired.  All these months of my personal time in quarterback study getting excited about Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen and then we fricken draft ALLEN!!!!  Get the pitch forks.

3.)  Bargaining - a lot of people on this board feel my pain.  Maybe they'll provide a link to an expert me feel better about the pick.  Arizona was reportedly heartbroken which is nice.

4.)  Depression - same old Bills.  This kid will be a bust and set this franchise back five years.  Mine as well look up the 2019 rookie QB class.

5.)  Acceptance - he had a bad team around him.  He played in a pro style offense where there were few short, easy throws and that brought down his completion percentage.  He worked on a farm.  Maybe Beane knows more than us and this kid could be great.  Screw Josh Rosen.  

This is pretty much right on, not only for me, but a lot of posters here because the vibe on Allen is definitely a lot different now than it was before the draft. 

I think Bean and the Bills explored every option. Then I think they took what they felt was the best of the last two remaining top 4 QBs. I absolutely understand if people had their hearts set on Rosen. 

Josh Allen is Buffalo and I think Beane knows he will have to answer for it. Especially if Rosen has success and Josh Allen doesn't.

They chose some one they think they can coach up who has measurables. They sacrificed a lot to lead up to Josh Allen. So I don't think they made the pick lightly. 

I think with Josh Allen that he will make plays when his time comes. The amount of success I can't predict. I hope they don't put him in next season. I understand people that do want him in. I just rather see what they have figured out on offense with AJ before you start your Rookie at least.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alternatively, after Kolb was cleared by the Bills team physicians, but had 1 more concussion end his career and cause persistent symptoms, the Bills team physicians may scrutinize a concussion history more seriously.

Again, I don't know that's the reason, but it would puzzle me that the Bills would take both of those guys off the board (if that's true) otherwise, they're such different players.

So I was thinking "what do they have in common, besides the best analytics in the QB class?"

Well, they also both have reported personality problems, but I know you don't really seem to believe a team would take a prospect like Rosen or Mayfield off their boards for that reason.

I'll tell ya this, after listening to all of Rosen's interviews immediately after getting drafted (not just the TV one but also the radio broadcasts), he was off my board... of course it was conveniently after the fact :flirt:

I suspected and, admittedly, feared Beane's sincere interest in Allen for a long time. Who remembers, or better yet, knows the source for this off-the-record Beane quote from sometime last season? 

"We hoped the kid from Wyoming would fly under the radar but it doesn't look like it's happening now." 

Reported unofficially on WGR at some point, if I recall correctly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I suspected and, admittedly, feared Beane's sincere interest in Allen for a long time. Who remembers, or better yet, knows the source for this off-the-record Beane quote from sometime last season? 

"We hoped the kid from Wyoming would fly under the radar but it doesn't look like it's happening now." 

Reported unofficially on WGR at some point, if I recall correctly. 

Well this is news to me, if true. I probably would have braced myself for this pick much earlier if I knew he said that.

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or he had a choice between Allen & Rosen and he picked Allen..

Vigorously, considering he might have been able to get either one if he just stayed at 12, or waited til one was picked and then traded up to 10 for the other.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's been reported that Beane has been watching Allen since last year and was hoping he would "slide under the radar"

I truly doubt that hype was a factor.  For whatever reason, as a football guy, Beane just prefers Allen.

See... I really wish I knew this... we're people talking about it here?

11 hours ago, #34fan said:

Beane's own ego factored more in the Allen pick than anything else.

The biggest kid with the strongest arm who generated the most hype was the only thing that could do it for him.

Allen had the most hype? I must have missed it.

14 hours ago, #34fan said:

Beane's own ego factored more in the Allen pick than anything else.

The biggest kid with the strongest arm who generated the most hype was the only thing that could do it for him.

Hype? Umm... No. Allen was the least hyped QB of any.

59 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah... don't know who in the world could have seen Allen as the guy getting the most hype. :huh:

Mel Kiper wanted to have Josh Allen’s babies.  He was his new Jimmy Clausen.

32 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

From my perspective, it appears Rosen was off their board.  Had Buffalo not been able to draft Allen, Mason Rudolph was the next prospect they were looking at.

That would make me very nervous.  Hopefully, they are right.

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Welp... I'm sorry... I'm not in here all moments of the day.  Actually, I haven't had the chance to be in here talking Bills football as much as I used to for months now.

I followed protocol.  I literally scrolled down to the bottom and looked at the thread titles of the first 3 pages and didn't see the topic.  If it's been talked about for many days now, that thread wasn't in the first 3 pages after I read the MMQB and thought about posting it.

Don't worry this isn't Russia where you would have to wear The Mask Of Infamy for 2 weeks for something like this. 

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen had the most hype? I must have missed it.

5 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Hype? Umm... No. Allen was the least hyped QB of any.

He was WAY more hyped than a kid coming out of Wyoming should have been... Many draftniks including Mel Kuyper had Allen going #1 to the Browns.

You couldn't get anyone at NFL network to shut up about his cannon arm. -Still cant, really.

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

what would you know about egos?

Way more than you, or anyone else on this puny board ever will!... -EVER! :P

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

He was WAY more hyped than a kid coming out of Wyoming should have been... Many draftniks including Mel Kuyper had Allen going #1 to the Browns.

You couldn't get anyone at NFL network to shut up about his cannon arm. -Still cant, really.

Way more than you, or anyone else on this puny board ever will!... -EVER! :P

So least hyped QB in the draft and your argument is most hyped out of Wyoming of all places.... hahahhahaha

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

So least hyped QB in the draft and your argument is most hyped out of Wyoming of all places.... hahahhahaha

It's a 3-way hype tie between Mayfieled, Allen and Darnold... Nothing for Riley Ferguson, who I thought deserved a small share, after upsetting Rosen during the season.