What do you think of my new kick off idea?

I've been trying to think of a way that you can keep kickoffs in the game while at the same time making them more safe for players. According to the NFL, players are 5 times more likely to get a concussion during kickoffs. 

So here's my idea and I think it would make kickoffs more exciting, and more safe. 

Keep the kickoff at the 35 yard line, but instead of having the other 10 players behind the 35 before kickoff, they can line up at the 45 yard line. So essentially the kicker is 10 yards behind the rest of the team. The receiving team would also line up at their 45, minus the kick returner, who would be back by the endzone like normal. Here's where safety part comes in. Normally as soon as the ball is kicked, players start charging down field to tackle the kick returner, this is where the concussions come into play. So now, instead of guys charging down field as soon as the ball is kicked, neither teams players can cross the 45 yard line until the kick returner catches the ball and either runs it out or downs it in the endzone for a touch back(which nobody would really do because the other team can't move until the ball is caught). If the kick returner drops the ball, it's an automatic dead ball and the offense takes over from the dead ball spot (unless it's in the endzone and it'd be an automatic touch back). For on sides kicks, id keep the rules in place that we have now. You would basically lose the ability to fake a kickoff and do an on side kick, but it's better than losing kickoffs completely Imo. 

Anyway, just an idea I came up with. I know they're having meetings about this currently and I fear they will remove kickoffs completely 

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sound idea, well thought out.

Quick question though, Would an onside kick require at least 15 yards to give the receiving team a fair chance to recover the ball? A mere 10 yards would favor the kicking team.

Just now, QB12 said:

Pretty sound idea, well thought out.

Quick question though, Would an onside kick require at least 15 yards to give the receiving team a fair chance to recover the ball? A mere 10 yards would favor the kicking team.

I assume it would be ten yards from the forward guys on the kicking team, which would require a much more difficult kick

5 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Field position would be flipped majorly. Teams would start in field goal position. Just leave it. It’s a contact sport.

just my two cents

I agree completely, but unfortunately the NFL doesn't 

I think each team should start from the 10 yard line. Skip kick-off I'm over it. The captains could also rock paper scissors and if you win you start at the 20 yard line.

Edited by Lfod

How about using punt formation for kickoffs?  There are far fewer injuries on punts and it is still a return play with the opportunity for a touchback, fair catch, return or fumble.  For on-side kicks, make the kicking team run a fake and gain 10 yards to keep possession. 

• Like (+1) 2

Have kick off from the receiving teams 40 yard line.

If ball goes in end zone/out of end zone ball is placed on the 30.  Otherwise they run it out and get as far as they can.

Offers the touchdown run back and the chance for the defense to set the offense back behind the 30 yard line. 

Cuts down on defenders getting a 60 yard running start which probably contributes to many of the concussions on these plays.

The biggest issue to overcome is still allowing on side kicks for the opportunity to get the ball back.  If not, the team down by more than 8 points has no chance to win if there's less than about a minute 30.  

33 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

How about using punt formation for kickoffs?  There are far fewer injuries on punts and it is still a return play with the opportunity for a touchback, fair catch, return or fumble.  For on-side kicks, make the kicking team run a fake and gain 10 yards to keep possession. 

This is is my approach also.  You have the ability to kick the ball or even put your offense out with a chance to get 10 (start here) or even 15 yards (if needed) and keep the ball.

The punt eliminates the big contacts from running starts and the wedge.  I would even keep the out of bounds rule on the new “Kick-off” so teams can not try to pin you deep by putting the ball out of bounds.  

They should just decrease the penalty for kicking it out of bounds. If they made that the same as touchback, more teams would do it. 

You'd be reducing the problem by simply reducing the amount of times it could happen while preserving the overall mechanics of the action.

I think it was Greg Schiano when he was with the Bucs that had an idea I think would work much better. After a team scores a TD or gets a Field goal place the ball on the 35 yard line and make it a 4th and 15 or 20 and the team that scored possesses the ball and has the option to punt or go for it (Instead of an onside kick.) Less injuries on punts than kickoffs and it still keeps the integrity of the game as it isn't nearly as gimmicky being a down and distance type thing. 

4 minutes ago, switz1610 said:

They should just decrease the penalty for kicking it out of bounds. If they made that the same as touchback, more teams would do it. 

You'd be reducing the problem by simply reducing the amount of times it could happen while preserving the overall mechanics of the action.

You pretty much would never see a kickoff in bounds unless a team went for an onsides kick. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You pretty much would never see a kickoff in bounds unless a team went for an onsides kick. 

Exactly! But if a team thought they could get better field position by kicking off they would still be able to. 

They should make it a live ball within a 10 yard window here onsides kicks generally are further reducing incentive to run downfield at full speed.

Eliminating or changing kickoffs might reduce concussions, per se, but it wouldn't do anything about CTE.

As far as I recall, CTE research suggests the most at-risk players are linemen, not because they are getting lit up with the big head shot, but b/c they are banging into other bodies on every single play.  I.E., many small contacts to the head are at least as bad, if not worse, than a huge head shot and concussion.

Joe DeLamielleure was discussing this a few years ago on WGR-550.  

11 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

Field position would be flipped majorly. Teams would start in field goal position. Just leave it. It’s a contact sport.

just my two cents

If eliminating kickoffs or changing how they work, helps preserve the rest of the game, I'm all for it. Kick offs haven't been exciting for over 8 years when they moved them to the 35.

I GOT IT!  I GOT IT!

Flag football rules and equipment for kickoffs!

OK, I don't got it.

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

...many small contacts to the head are at least as bad, if not worse, than a huge head shot and concussion.

Hey, someone show this to my wife!

• Like (+1) 1

They are trying to take contact out of a contact sport.   And for safety reasons I believe it is the right thing to do.  Eventually I think it will be eliminated.  But it definitely will hurt the game to lose it.