My Buffalo Bills Draft Grades

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

716, Excellent recap of the draft and value picks. You are kind and generous. You would be the kind of teacher whose class everyone would want to get into because of your generosity in grading. Where I disagree with you is the "boom or bust" categorizing of Allen. It's easy to see where there is the potential for big upside. But even if he doesn't attain that potential that doesn't mean that he won't be a credible starting qb in this league. He has shown improvement in some aspects of his game related to mechanics. And it is widely reported that he has the work ethic to work on his deficiencies. I just see that the floor for him is higher than what many others are projecting.

In my mind he is not going to be a precision and rhythm passer in a west coast offense like Rosen will be. But I do see him fitting in very well in a system that emphasizes downfield and play action passing. I don't want to get carried away but I envision a Roethlisberger style of play that is the most suitable for him. 

Don’t worry, Trent Dilfer has us all covered there. Talk about GUSHING! (I hope he’s right!) 

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Round 1 Pick 7- QB Josh Allen (A)

Josh Allen is a classic boom or bust prospect but I wouldn’t be quick to count him out. He compares favorably to a guy like Cam Newton and makes throws few if any QBs can make... the Bills IDd their guy and made a move... Sitting behind McCarron and truly winning the job can do wonders for the kid

Buffalo, I know you know your stuff.

But I see a bit of a gap between the above and your QB Film Room on the two top guys available at that pick (Rosen > Allen) and the "A" grade.  Wondering if you'd be willing to expand a bit more, since I know you genuinely watched all the film there was to watch on these guys and took careful notes.

I see you did Allen back in Jan. based on his season.  Did you change your grade(s) on the guys after Sr Bowl/Combine/Pro Day? 

Or what's your reasoning?

I know for my own part, I'm happy that the Bills made decisive moves to go after the QB they wanted without depleting next year's draft, and that raises my grade.

But I'm not sure drafting a high-end prospect at #7 when we don't have an established NFL starter grades at "A"

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Don’t worry, Trent Dilfer has us all covered there. Talk about GUSHING! (I hope he’s right!) 

What I find encouraging is that at the end of the draft process that was noted for its intense scrutiny all the teams vying for a qb all had the same qbs grouped in the upper tier. It's evident that each team had different rankings but every team also had Allen under serious consideration to be their top pick. This wasn't an out of the box selection. This was a qb that was specifically targeted by this regime. They know the offense they want to run and he very well fits into what they want to do.

Kudos to Bandit. He was ahead of us driving the bus before we got to the bus stop. He is astute and perspicacious. 

9 hours ago, Mr_Robotulism said:

About the only thing I agree with is God is good.

Nobody knows how any of this will shake out but I do Billieve, AJ McCarron better be our future or we are set back another 5 years. 

One thing I always love about this board is Bills fans' unbridled optimism.  So you didn't like any of the picks.  LOl brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What I find encouraging is that at the end of the draft process that was noted for its intense scrutiny all the teams vying for a qb all had the same qbs grouped in the upper tier. It's evident that each team had different rankings but every team also had Allen under serious consideration to be their top pick. This wasn't an out of the box selection. This was a qb that was specifically targeted by this regime. They know the offense they want to run and he very well fits into what they want to do.

Kudos to Bandit. He was ahead of us driving the bus before we got to the bus stop. He is astute and perspicacious. 

If you haven’t seen the Dilfer clip in the Jordan Palmer thread, I highly recommend it. You may not buy it 100%, but it has to be encouraging! 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you haven’t seen the Dilfer clip in the Jordan Palmer thread, I highly recommend it. You may not buy it 100%, but it has to be encouraging! 

I have a high regard for Dilfer and his evaluations. But I'm not getting carried away. The qb he was most glowing about was Rosen. If the Bills would have drafted any of the top four qbs in this draft I would have been ecstatic. I think all of them will become legitimate franchise qbs, assuming that they are handled smartly. That point about smartly handling qbs was emphasized by Dilfer. He harshly pointed out that there are plenty of stupid coaches in the ranks that are incapable of developing qbs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, he's not one to blow his horn but Buffalo716 is one of the guys on here who has

1) played the game

2) coached

3) actually has had NFL scouting jobs, has real gouge on some prospects, and has watched a buttload of film on others

So if he likes the draft, it means more to me than if most of the rest of us do or don't

I typically do not EVER put stock into any of the evaluation posts that people put here simply because they have not played the game, coached the game or scouted player before. I view them for entertainment and to discuss opinions. To that end, since I am not in the employment of the NFL or the Buffalo Bills, I just trust that the FO is doing the best they can. I am a fan. I don't assume to know more than those that are paid to do what they do. I will not call out names, but there are many here that believe they do. That said, I am glad you posted this about Buffalo716. At the very least it's someones thought on the draft who's been there and done the work before. Thanks Hapless. Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, #34fan said:

Holy pillow-talk, Batman, I want to pour this post all over my f*%$ing pancakes in the morning!  -Do you have any other children's stories in the works? :)

I do. Nathan Peterman will start this season and lead us to a Super Bowl win.

I just gotta say that while I am a optomist and I HOPE that Allen becomes the next Big Ben without the off the field issues.......I have to give that pick a incomplete.

We will know in a couple of years.

Now.....at my college when a student takes an incomplete it neither counts for or against their grade.....so I still give the bills an A because I think Edmunds is going to be a BEAST

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Buffalo, I know you know your stuff.

But I see a bit of a gap between the above and your QB Film Room on the two top guys available at that pick (Rosen > Allen) and the "A" grade.  Wondering if you'd be willing to expand a bit more, since I know you genuinely watched all the film there was to watch on these guys and took careful notes.

I see you did Allen back in Jan. based on his season.  Did you change your grade(s) on the guys after Sr Bowl/Combine/Pro Day? 

Or what's your reasoning?

I know for my own part, I'm happy that the Bills made decisive moves to go after the QB they wanted without depleting next year's draft, and that raises my grade.

But I'm not sure drafting a high-end prospect at #7 when we don't have an established NFL starter grades at "A"

Great question buddy. I struggled long and hard over the Allen pick 

Yes, he was my 4th rated QB and I did have Rosen ahead of him. 

I did not change his grade but I did re look at some things that he struggled with and why he did... I don’t believe he is as inaccurate as people make it out to be. Yea, he has some bad misses but it’s usually do to poor setup, not plain inaccuracy 

Rosen , Baker and Darnold were all guys who were already advanced as QBs and their grades reflected that. Rosen at 82.3 at Allen at 78.6 isn’t crazy far off 

If Allen was at a 69-70 then I would say it was a super reach. He’s only 1.4 points off being in the 10 year starter category and I think he has improved his foot work drastically since January. I probably could change his footwork grade a bit, and even some touch which he showed at SR bowl 

I was a little aggravated that they didn’t go with the guy I liked in Rosen but they obviously saw something they didn’t like. It can be 100% possible he’s closer to being a finished product and is closer to maxed out after having the best coaching his whole life

while Allen is just about to start hitting his stride... either way, I rewatched a lot on Allen and every day I am getting more pumped 

We got the guy with the highest ceiling and a tremendous work ethic and he is very capable under center 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

716, Excellent recap of the draft and value picks. You are kind and generous. You would be the kind of teacher whose class everyone would want to get into because of your generosity in grading. Where I disagree with you is the "boom or bust" categorizing of Allen. It's easy to see where there is the potential for big upside. But even if he doesn't attain that potential that doesn't mean that he won't be a credible starting qb in this league. He has shown improvement in some aspects of his game related to mechanics. And it is widely reported that he has the work ethic to work on his deficiencies. I just see that the floor for him is higher than what many others are projecting.

In my mind he is not going to be a precision and rhythm passer in a west coast offense like Rosen will be. But I do see him fitting in very well in a system that emphasizes downfield and play action passing. I don't want to get carried away but I envision a Roethlisberger style of play that is the most suitable for him. 

Thanks buddy

Honestly I’m usually a harsh evaluator but for some reason I really could find Value in every pick 

It wasn’t hard for me to give the Bills a B for Ray Ray in the 6th because he can easily become our starting KR/PR, gadget guy... good value in the 6th not the 3rd lol

Completely agree. Allen doesn’t need to be boom or bust

I think I just read it here so many times I just had to add it lol

he can easily become a top 15 guy without being an all pro superstar 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Great post Buffalo716!  Question:  did you look at any of the UDFAs and have any thoughts?  

Yes a few.

Robert Foster is intriguing. He was a top 5* recruit out of HS with all the talent. Burner, can move after catch, run good routes 

sometimes you just get buried at Alabama with all the talent. If he works his butt off and is willing to play ST he can make the roster

might even become an outside receiver in a year or 2 if he really catches on

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Round 1 Pick 7- QB Josh Allen (A)

Josh Allen is a classic boom or bust prospect but I wouldn’t be quick to count him out. He compares favorably to a guy like Cam Newton and makes throws few if any QBs can make... the Bills IDd their guy and made a move... Sitting behind McCarron and truly winning the job can do wonders for the kid

Round 1 Pick 16- MLB  Tremaine Edmunds (A+)

Edmunds can turn out to be the defensive steal of The draft. The big, rangy, fast Linebacker doesn’t compare to many linebackers. With his height, weight, speed, athleticism combo he is in a league of his own. A top top talent who has a huge ceiling 

Round 3- DT Harrison Phillips (A+)

A great value pick in round 3,Phillips gives you starter potential and the ability to learn from one of the best in the business over his career. Great at 0 tech and 1 tech and still a good pass rusher  (Kyle Williams)

Round 4-CB Taron Johnson (B+)

Snaeaky pick out of Weber State who was the big sky defensive player of the year. Projects well as a starting nickel corner

Round 5- DB Siran Neal (B)

A physical defensive back who is a Swiss Army knife. You can plug him at LB in a big dime package or he can play SS or even slot. Will play ST.. Very versatile 

Round 5- OG Wyatt Teller (A+)

The best Hokie lineman in a long long time is now a Buffalo Bill. The value in round 5 is off th charts for a guy who projects to be a starting guard in his career. 

Round 6- KR/PR/WR Ray Ray McCloud (B)

In the later round you might as well take shots at talented kids and Ray Ray has talent. Tracks the ball wall and has made some nice plays. Elusive punt returner 

Round 7- WR Austin Proehl (B+)

A fiesty reciever who never got to have the SR season he should have. He is a natural hands catcher who runs crisp routes with deceptive speed. Has worked outside and inside but projects as a slot and 5th option .not a bad 7th round pick 

Overall (A)

Day by day this class is growing on me and I can’t wait for the season. We drafted a bunch of hard working,talented young men and they all seem like great kids

In a span of 1 week. 1 week. We hopefully have the franchise QB of the future, the Sabres  received the right to select Dahlin, and Snake Oil Russ Brandon is out!

I really feel like the whole draft has a chance to make the squad or PS... nothing wrong with some development 

God is Good

Billieve 2018

...nicely done bud as usual....:thumbsup:.....certainly have some new talent to work with.....the Edmunds kid is a monster......

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

“Best Hokie lineman in a long time...”

Somewhere, someway Ed Wang is karate chopping his kitchen table.

Ed Wang is Chinese.  Karate is Japanese and Kung Fu is Chinese....more than likely Ed Wang didn't use a Karate chop.

If ya don't know, now ya know.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nicely done bud as usual....:thumbsup:.....certainly have some new talent to work with.....the Edmunds kid is a monster......

Absolutely love the Edmunds pick.

My buddy called me right before pick 16 and I was banging on the table for the kid!

Ecstatic when the commissioner called his name! He has perennial pro bowler written all over him

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ed Wang is Chinese.  Karate is Japanese and Kung Fu is Chinese....more than likely Ed Wang didn't use a Karate chop.

Thank you for enlightening me ?

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m white and karate chop things all the time. It’s something fun to do on a Wednesday.

I guess since I’m of italian descent you think I should just be eating bread and drinking wine instead? 

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’m white and karate chop things all the time. It’s something fun to do on a Wednesday.

I guess since I’m of italian descent you think I should just be eating bread and drinking wine instead? 

Italians don’t live in Idaho. Sorry.